IGNORED

What is so hard about the KJV?

kittylover0991

The biggest problem I have with the KJV (though I probably read it more than other translations) is the way it mistranslates and misinterprets the original text and context.

Just one example;

It mentions that Paul waited until after "Easter" once before traveling in the book of Acts.

That's just plain silly.

There are other errors but it's close enough for an english translation once you understand that it isn't the language Rav

Shaul spoke.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

2 Tim 2:25 (KJV) In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

:huh: "peradventure"?

2 Tim 2:25 (NKJV) in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth,

Oh! "perhaps" - why didn't you just say so? :)

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It mentions that Paul waited until after "Easter" once before traveling in the book of Acts.

That's just plain silly.

It sure is!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

That's just plain silly.

It sure is!

May I have the verse please for this? Or at least the reference. I do'nt know much about the book of Acts yet, however, I will be more than willing to study this subject :thumbsup:

The biggest problem I have with the KJV (though I probably read it more than other translations) is the way it mistranslates and misinterprets the original text and context.

Just one example;

That's just plain silly.

There are other errors but it's close enough for an english translation once you understand that it isn't the language Rav

Shaul spoke.

yod.. so are you saying that the bible is not accurate.. that it isn't the pure word of God even though God said he woudl preserve his word, as silver tried by fire seven times?... That woudl mean God isnt' a liar if it isn't all preserved.. right?

Besides, say the KJV did have the errors that were spoken of, because of the mistranslations of the words of God, couldnt' these new version in fact, have even more errors because, once again, it is man interpreting what God originally said?

I don't know..

Thankyou everyone for your responses to this post. I look forward to more, but this has really opened my eyes as to why some do not use the KJV but prefer other versions. I am still KJV all the way, and I still do not support the other versions, but I am satisfied... someone has finally given me a good reason to use a newer version.. Most people just say "the thee's and thou's are confusing" when they have never actually read the bible... and that irritates me so...

Thankyou everyone and I look forward to seeing ya'll in later posts :thumbsup:

~Crystal

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/20/1959

That's just plain silly.

It sure is!

May I have the verse please for this? Or at least the reference. I do'nt know much about the book of Acts yet, however, I will be more than willing to study this subject :thumbsup:

Acts 12:4

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  429
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

A problem with the KJV is that the New Testament was written in Greek, and the early Church used the Septuagint version of the Old Testament, which is also in Greek. The KJV uses the Hebrew Translation. 80% of the quotations in the New Testament, referencing the Old Testament, are in the Septuagint, but many are not found in the Hebrew Translation, because the Hebrew Translation doesn't have 7 books that the Greek Septuagint has.

So, the KJV along with any other translation that does not use the Greek Septuagint version of the Old Testament, will end up deficient.

The Greek Septuagint was discarded by the Jews, after the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem around 70AD, in an attempt to distance Scripturer from any interpretation that gave justification to Jesus as being the Messiah.

In fact, for centuries, may Jews claimed that the Septuagint was never used by Jews of Jesus time, but the Dead Sea Scrolls destroyed that myth completly.

That's just plain silly.

It sure is!

May I have the verse please for this? Or at least the reference. I do'nt know much about the book of Acts yet, however, I will be more than willing to study this subject :emot-hug:

Act 12:3 And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.)

Act 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put [him] in prison, and delivered [him] to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

Act 12:5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/20/1959

That's just plain silly.

It sure is!

May I have the verse please for this? Or at least the reference. I do'nt know much about the book of Acts yet, however, I will be more than willing to study this subject :emot-hug:

Act 12:3 And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.)

Act 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put [him] in prison, and delivered [him] to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

Act 12:5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.

The point being that the KJV uses the term Easter rather than Passover. No other version that I'm aware of (including The Message) makes reference to "Easter".

yod.. so are you saying that the bible is not accurate.. that it isn't the pure word of God even though God said he woudl preserve his word, as silver tried by fire seven times?... That woudl mean God isnt' a liar if it isn't all preserved.. right?

Besides, say the KJV did have the errors that were spoken of, because of the mistranslations of the words of God, couldnt' these new version in fact, have even more errors because, once again, it is man interpreting what God originally said?

I would never say that the Bible is innacurate!!!

But I would say that a translation is not the Bible. It's a translation; and every translation will have it's problems. Many theological concepts were inferred using old English translations of Latin translations of jewish-greek manuscripts that interpreted the hebrew language spoken by the original writers. It has taken us farther from the original community.

There are many fine translations and some are better than others for certain things. The NIV might be the best translation for Proverbs than most..and the NASB is more accurate of the contemporary language attempts. The New KJV is good too.

I do like the majesty of the english language of 1611 though

I have started a thread called "Copernicus and the Jews" that goes into this a little bit.