• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I haven't heard any of these except the Doxology and Glorify Thy Name, and, for the life of me, I can't see anything wrong with these 2. Glorify Thy Name is one of my favorite things to sing. It really ministers to me.

The Holy Spirit is God, too, and why shouldn't He be praised, too?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Shalom Poor,

I think I understand where you're coming from in your preaching, but I don't agree. You are saying that we should not praise or worship the Holy Spirit individually, but you are making a whole case and sermon from a misunderstanding. The Holy Spirit glorifies the Son, that is on of His jobs and He (the Holy Spirit) is as much G-d as the Father and the Son. They are all equally G-d. Three in One.

There is nothing UNscriptural about worshiping G-d, Father, Sin and Holy Spirit.

Also, we don't use hymnals :emot-highfive:

I

Then what about John 5:22,23 then? That is our job too. If the Holy Spirit is the Divine Witness pointing us to Christ Jesus, don't you think we should look to Whom He is pointing to? There is no scriptures to say we are to worship or glorify the Holy Spirit, but there are scriptures that specifically state how to glorify the Father and honor Him too... only through the Son.. and it meant that because the moment you stop honouring the Son... you are not honouring the Father and as the Holy Ghost will not take the place of Christ in the worship place... that spirit of antichrist.... the definition of antichrist means "instead of Christ" will move in to take that spotlight that everybody is worshipping God.. not In Spirit and not In truth.... thus departing from the faith.

All invitations points to Jesus for that reason. Just so you know.

I'm waiting for you to answer my question.........you mean to say the antichrist is worshipped in a lot of Christian churches?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

Is there a "scratches head" icon?

I'm sort of understanding where you are coming from, maybe. I just don't agree. The Holy Spirit, Jesus and God are one - a Holy trinity. I don't know if it helps or changes your perspective at all, but most of the verses you are quoting are from prior to penticost, before God sent the Holy Spirit to us.

Anyway, I do praise all three parts of the trinity, so I do not find anything wrong with the songs/verses you referred to.

p.s. my church still has hymnals :whistling:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  318
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/21/1963

i see where you're coming from - the title of those hymns do suggest that they are a prayer to the Holy Spirit. altho my church does not sing hymns, i have heard modern christian songs that imply the same thing.

upon first glance at the title of your post, i thought you might be, (how should i say it?) i don't know i guess but i mean when a person is too focused on small details that don't matter and not the larger good issue - anyway . . .

going on to read thru it, i see that the topic is important because i know many people whose sole knowledge of what the bible teaches does actually come from christian songs that they know.

that said, i believe, however, that new christians do learn and grow with time and God's help and i thank God that he judges us on the learning we do have and that he knows our teachers are not perfect. :whistling: but it just goes to show you that even with something as seemingly innocent as a song, we must search the scriptures.

Hi Fraught!!!

I'm not against the Trinity or anything like that, but the role of the Holy Ghost is clear as well as the role of Jesus Christ in relation to the Father. I'm glad that you see why the need to go to the scriptures to discern even a song... because a heresey left uncorrected will cause the Way to be broaden to allow false prophets to come in and seducing spirits that would steal the spotlight from Jesus Christ in the worship place. For every idle word men shall speak.....a little leaven leavens a whole lump and then when one try to correct, they cannot fathom it because nobody did so in regards to those songs. Then they continue on with rationalizing with some truths by saying the Holy Spirit is God and part of the Godhead and such, but all the while, it seems they are incapable of noticing that they are talking about and singing about the Holy Spirit more than the Person the indwelling Holy Spirit came to testify and glorify of...Jesus Christ the Lord. It isn't that they never talk about Jesus, but the Way is broaden and thus many go in thereat. The Holy Spirit will not speak of Himself... and yet people speak of the Holy Spirit as if He is speaking of Himself as if He is running the show or the Head of the Church or the mediator or doing that which Jesus Christ in His role is to do. Hearing all that, one would begin to wonder if Jesus' name is truly above every other name. I know it is, but the way some of the hymnals goes and the way some believers talk, one would think Jesus went on vacation and turned over the Church to the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost is "still" pointing the believers to Jesus Christ because the spirit of antichrist is in the world.

John 5: 39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

p.s. my church still has hymnals :whistling:

Oh, in fairness, I should say that the hymnals are not used during the main 2 services which are pretty contemporary. But we do still have a more traditional service where hymnals are actually touched and opened :24:

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  424
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

:whistling: Edited by hopper

Do you believe in the Trinity?

I don't understand where you are coming from ,do you mind sharing which church you go?

Yes. I believe in the Trinity.

yes.. the Holy Spirit is God and part of the Godhead, but each has its role defined in scriptures... so that all invitations continues to point to Jesus and not to seducing spirits that would steal the show in the worship place. Jesus' name above every other name... the will of the Father and the Holy Ghost will not speak of Himself thus why should the believers speak of the Holy Spirit as if He is running the show when He is "still" pointing us to Jesus Christ? The hymnals should also. Any hymnal that points to and glorify the Holy Spirit... better believe that is not what the indwelling Holy Spirit is doing or wants you to do either.

I can only pray that God shall causes the increase.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Is the Holy Spirit not deserving of our worship?

Matt. 12:31-32

31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

If the Holy Spirit is God, how can it be a sin to worship Him?

When we say, "God," do we mean the Father or the Son, but not the Holy Spirit?

If I pray, "Holy Spirit, please give me wisdom," is that any different from, "Lord, please give me wisdom," since it is the Holy Spirit that guides us into all truth (John 16:13)?

I haven't heard any of these except the Doxology and Glorify Thy Name, and, for the life of me, I can't see anything wrong with these 2. Glorify Thy Name is one of my favorite things to sing. It really ministers to me.

The Holy Spirit is God, too, and why shouldn't He be praised, too?

The Holy Spirit doesn't seek it. He will not speak of Himself and since Jesus' name is above every other name, then the Holy Spirit cannot fulfill His role to Glorify Jesus Christ if people are doing what the Holy Spirit is not pointing for them to do. All invitations still point to Jesus Christ and that is Whom the Holy Ghost is still pointing to. Broaden the Way, and seducing spirits will steal the show. That is why in regards to false prophet to strive ye to enter through that strait gate... and that is Jesus Christ.

John 5: 39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

1 Corinthians 2: 2For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

yes.. the Holy Spirit is God and part of the Godhead, but each has its role defined in scriptures... so that all invitations continues to point to Jesus and not to seducing spirits that would steal the show in the worship place.

OK, of all the things I have heard on this Board...

I never thought I'd hear the Holy Spirit accused of being an idol. :whistling: