IGNORED

Mental Illness, why is it treated as a sin?

Vickilynn

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  0

damo1

to vickilynn

mental ilness should not be treated as sin and any one that says mental ilness is a sin needs to think hard

my second son to my very first girlfriend who i met in a youth refuge in katoomba when i was only 16 mark has autisem this is not classed as sin but i have heard when kids like my son are prayed over this is seen as a sin by the parents

my pastor use to work for mental health he was the main boss for new england in armidale and let me tell you he did not see this as sin with the clients he had most had this from the very day they were born

if my pastor had his own computer to were he can sign up and log on to worthy i would lead him to this very topic but he feels computers and inter net are just as sin and a waste of time for any one to be using but he understands that in todays world a child needs to learn how to use a computer

we have one lady with mental ilness in our church but she is no longer comming due to her ilness getting the best of her and freaking sevral people out but the door has always been opend for her to be among us

i would like to see any one tell me or my second child mark that he needs to repent and then his autisem wil go away and he will be free from the grip autisem has had over him as i read this i sort of found my self in that topic you mentioned vickilynn but i got out of it very fast i could not belive what i was hearing i wanted to say something but hay i notice it has to be agreed by what the op has set up in that topic off hers

my sons grand mother has been very prottective over mark and has not allowed no one to lay the guilt trip on him and tell him to his face his autisem is a sin and i am glad she had her head on as she was a jahove wittness but is a born again christian but mark is no longer in her care as he got to out of control and is know in an institution which i am trying my hardest to find out which one as what i heard his medication sent him off the edge

that other topic set up on this forum is set up to show how bad the church has gotten and only the true christians are given this right to bring in conviction that is what i felt when i read that topic

we are even prottective of the lady i told you about who does have mental problems and if we see anyone trying this to were they say its sin they find them selves being rebuked in love and given a warning

i thought id be honest hear to what you said in your topic about Narcissism

what a stupid question do we blame them with out really saying yes we blame them and the parents this is what the op of that topic should have said in true honesty

thanks vickilynn

god bless from your brother in the lord damien stipic

Shalom Damien,

Amen Brother, thank you for your post!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

If anyone wants to check this site out, it does have a lot of information. It appears that you can drill down pretty far.

Wikipedia

What OneLight, your not going to cloud the issue with facts now are you! :noidea:

Who ... ME? :cool:

Neither downs syndrome nor autism are mental illnesses, though often they co-occur with mental illness.

Just wanted to clear that up before someone thinks a developmental intellectual disability or a developmental neurological disorder are mental illnesses.

Shalom Anne,

That is correct, neither of those are mental "illnesses", but I understand where Damien is coming from.

y ex-husband has a severe mental illness, currently untreated, and I could not appreciate Vickilynn's OP more! I pray for him daily. Love and forgiveness (even if for my own walk with God) has brought me through so much with him. It is such a struggle for me - when he is getting treatment, he is one of the kindest, gentlest Christ-followers. But now, I pray daily for the spark of Holy Spirit that I know dwells in him to push push push him back toward God and a peaceful, undestructive state of being.

Amen, keep praying for him, keep loving him and sharing the Word with him! :noidea:

You need to be sure that you're making and believing the right assessments, because if not, then biblically, (God's Word) tells us how to respond with those who claim to be Christians, and display this type of behavior. Do I believe God and His Word, or a label?

Shalom Suzanne,

The truth is, you cannot know someone's heart condition no matter how hard you try to play G-d.

I believe G-D, not man.

2 Timothy is not a condemnation of those with mental illness. That is a gross misapplication of G-d's Word.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Ohhh I beg to differ Axx, there are people who believe they are told things by God, Joan of Arc comes to mind, as were the hermits and saints, stigmata, those that punish themselves to prove their love of God and their worthlessness. I'm with Thoughtful, I can't even believe we are having this discussion..................I'll introduce my son to you Axx, you will be so impressed when he's in the middle of a mood swing, intelligent, articulate, thoughtful, kind and loving, and then let you catch him on the up swing where he does things I don't care to mention to himself when he was feeling "10 ft tall and bullet proof" and where you look into his eyes and know "he" isn't actually there any more, or when he is so low he tries over and over to kill himself. After one of these evidently "fake" episodes, he told me crying and begging for forgiveness, that the reason why he had gotten all of the tattoos was because he needed to be as ugly on the outside as he was on the inside. Has he learned to manipulate people using his "condition" yes, does he play it sometimes to get his way and to get sympathy.......ohhhh yeah, but that doesn't discount the underlying problem, that using part is sinful, the problem itself is not.

I have worked with mental illness in the past and can testify that these people show more love then a lot of "normal" people. To say that they are this way because of sin is judging them to the most. I believe they hold a special place in our Lords heart.

OneLight

Shalom Alan,

Amen and amen.

You need to be sure that you're making and believing the right assessments, because if not, then biblically, (God's Word) tells us how to respond with those who claim to be Christians, and display this type of behavior. Do I believe God and His Word, or a label?

Shalom Suzanne,

The truth is, you cannot know someone's heart condition no matter how hard you try to play G-d.

I believe G-D, not man.

2 Timothy is not a condemnation of those with mental illness. That is a gross misapplication of G-d's Word.

Amen and Amen Vickilynn!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Your entire belief system goes against the very system of medicine that helps the afflicted. We are lucky enough to be blessed with healthy sound minds, so we should use them intelligently, and not debate whether our afflicted brothers and sisters are sinners, and whether we should stop "blaming" their actions on their illness.

The line between ignorance and predjudice is drawing near. Be very careful where you take your next step.

Seriously...you don't have to like my opinions and you can say I'm close to ignorant if you want...but to say that I'm close to prejudiced is wrong. You can't point to ONE THING I've said that implies I don't care for, pray for, and hope for the healing of persons who are mentally ill.

Fact is..the OP wanted to know why mental illness is treated as sin by some people...and I am discussing that since I happen to have that opinion. I am trying to do that without offending or hurting anyone with my opinion...but you MUST ADMIT that it is a difficult topic.

I also happen to disagree that the "system of medicine" helps the afflicted. In fact, in regards to mental illness I believe that it keeps them MORE oppressed. I've seen this with my own eyes. I work with the mentally ill...I work with and consult with mental health professionals on a daily basis...I have taken college accredited courses in order to work with the mental health. My opinions are based on what I know from God's word and from my personal dealings with the mental health field.

I notice bi-polar isn't on your list................sin or disorder???????????????

Shalom Scarlet,

It is a real, physical illness and chemical imbalance. It is a "disorder", not a sin.

I notice bi-polar isn't on your list................sin or disorder???????????????

Shalom Scarlet,

It is a real, physical illness and chemical imbalance. It is a "disorder", not a sin.

Thank you Vickilynn this whole thread has me so upset, I am sitting here crying, if you could only know my son, and one day I'm gonna loose him because of this................................horrible disorder, one day he'll succeed.