IGNORED

Miraculous Gifts

BurnForChrist

Where do you stand on the miraculous gifts?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand on the miraculous gifts?

• Cessationist - They have all ceased
    • Semi-Continualist / Cautious Continualist - Some are still around
    • Continualist - They are still in effect

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

I have never seen anywhere written in the bible where it is stated that gifting has been suspended from the true believers today. I can't see God as a "use it or lose it" dispenser of gifts.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Here is a question. In scripture are there examples of non-believers being used by the Holy Spirit to show some of these things?

I think that there is, but I will have to take a harder look, but maybe someone else can remember?

Also Satan can mimic these same gifts, which is also something to keep in mind and guard against. I am very very concerned by tongues without interpretation for example, the same would go with what could be the Holy Spirit or could be demonic possession, and we simply cannot tell from the outside when someone is having an experience, we need to walk carefully around some of these gifts. Also we should keep to scripture, I don't think we can add signs to what is shown in scripture, this to me is another danger sign.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

Here is a question. In scripture are there examples of non-believers being used by the Holy Spirit to show some of these things?

I think that there is, but I will have to take a harder look, but maybe someone else can remember?

Also Satan can mimic these same gifts, which is also something to keep in mind and guard against. I am very very concerned by tongues without interpretation for example, the same would go with what could be the Holy Spirit or could be demonic possession, and we simply cannot tell from the outside when someone is having an experience, we need to walk carefully around some of these gifts. Also we should keep to scripture, I don't think we can add signs to what is shown in scripture, this to me is another danger sign.

We need to listen very closely to His Spirit within us. The closer we walk with God, the easier it is to hear Him speak to our spirit, through His Spirit. There is also the gift of discerning spirits. These gifts are to be given to us by the Holy Spirit, and not for us to choose and pray for. We have to allow Him to work in and through us, not to suggest to God that we want this gift or that gift. Some often believe because to asked for a gift that they received it. THis is dangerous.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

I have never seen anywhere written in the bible where it is stated that gifting has been suspended from the true believers today. I can't see God as a "use it or lose it" dispenser of gifts.

Eric, i have to agree, to a point, the parable of the talents, use'em or lose'em..... the gifts are to bring glory to God, not man, and if miss used, we will be held accountable, as Moses was, as many of those that preceded us.... the Holy Spirit does not pull the gift from us, but like talents, such as playing musical instruments, if it has not been used for a length of time, the proficiency does diminish over time.

I also understand why there are so many teachings against them.... over time they have been abused and misused, so different fellowships, rather then having to deal with the misuse or abuse, have deemed them not in service for these days.

this is where we are suppose to follow what the Word tells us..... let us judge the messages, the words, the acts, to ensure they are from The Holy Ghost, and not from man.....

I, for one am very skeptical about words in tongues, interpretation and prophecy..... and when they are on going I am seeking the Lords guidance and righteous judgment and balancing them against the Written Word of God to ensure they are from God..

not judging the message bearer, but the message its self.... there have been times when I (personally) have dismissed the word, and other times i have received an interpretation, or confirmation but was not released to share it, for it was for my confirmation, where what I received was almost word for word exactly as the message was given.... other times, i was released to stand and agree with the message.....

there are some fellowships that when a message in tongues, interpretation, prophecy, knowledge, wisdom are given, that they stop and point out each and every piece of the information given, to judge it as a body. and there have been times that they have thrown the entire word out because part of it did not align with the Word of God....

this is where the Gift of Discernment comes in also.....

and also this is where studying the Word comes in, for if a person does not study the Word of God, they will not be able to know if something is in alignment or out of alignment with the Word..... it is not just a feeling or a it sounds good.....

there are many many many people that call them Christians, that believe that "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" is actually in the Bible, written as such..... as well as many other phrases that are used on a day to day basis..... they go with what others tell them, and what sounds good to them...... some one tells them that the Gifts have ended with the Apostles, and they believe it, for they have not verified it nor have they studied for themselves what is actually going on....

the Bible is the WORLDS BEST SELLER, has been for decades...... and yet, it the worlds least read series of books......

there are people that have a "favorite" verse, and they love holding it over others saying this is what they believe, and yet, they do not follow what is before or after, they have not opened nor studied the Word.....

now, as that maybe, I am not dissing anyone that does not believe they are for today, or does not operate in the Spirit, I would love to see each and everyone walking in the Lord in such a way that the Gifts are not needed.... but until the day that we enter the New Jerusalem, i believe they will be in full operation..... If a person or group chooses not to use them, that is fine........

when a person gets saved, they receive the Gift of salvation...... and as part of that gift, there are many subgifts, that some have use of one or two, others may have use of three or four, some may even at times have use of all 9 gifts of the Spirit. some may have use of one today, and tomorrow, a different one.....

the Spirit will give the Gift as HE SEES FIT.... not as we see fit..... they are for use in the exhortation, comfort, teaching, exalting...... as long as we use them to bring Glory to the One and only One that the Glory belongs to.... some tend to use these gifts to bring attention to themselves...... that is a wrong way to use them, misuse, others will hold the gifts over others that may not have been used with the gifts, by telling them that if they have not "spoke in tongues" they are not saved , this would constitute an ABUSE...... for it does not Glorify God.....

it is not up to us as to who receives and who does not..... it is up to the Holy Ghost....

it is not wrong to seek the gifts either, for even the Word of God says to seek them......

mike

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

the Spirit will give the Gift as HE SEES FIT.... not as we see fit..... they are for use in the exhortation, comfort, teaching, exalting...... as long as we use them to bring Glory to the One and only One that the Glory belongs to.... some tend to use these gifts to bring attention to themselves...... that is a wrong way to use them, misuse, others will hold the gifts over others that may not have been used with the gifts, by telling them that if they have not "spoke in tongues" they are not saved , this would constitute an ABUSE...... for it does not Glorify God.....

it is not up to us as to who receives and who does not..... it is up to the Holy Ghost....

it is not wrong to seek the gifts either, for even the Word of God says to seek them......

mike

Amen.

I'm completely in agreement with this.

Society teaches and encourages to do whatever is needed to reach the top of the ladder. I see this embedded in the minds of some Christians as well. I've witness some attempting to use gifts as a simple tool to achieve this...as if there is a ladder to climb in the body of Christ. I think some seek the gifts for the wrong motive, and often they're even blind to it. It carries over from the society in which we are brought up in but often the 'climb to the top' begins to diminish as we mature in our spiritual growth. :taped:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

mike

1 Corinthian 12:31

But earnestly desire the best gifts.

This is true. I was speaking about those who are of the belief that if you ask, you will receive, placing yourself with the gift because you asked. THis is where it becomes dangerous and not scriptural.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

mike

1 Corinthian 12:31

But earnestly desire the best gifts.

This is true. I was speaking about those who are of the belief that if you ask, you will receive, placing yourself with the gift because you asked. THis is where it becomes dangerous and not scriptural.

your right, and the best gift being???? SALVATION...... :emot-highfive: cause with out it, nothing else matters.....

actually, the gifts come as they are needed to those that do seek the face of the Lord......

well, time to get woke up and get ready....

mike

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

i actually meant to put "some gifts" are still valid. i didnt mean to put "no gifts."

oh well...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

1 Corinthians 13 does put the gifts in perspective:

Verses 7-8 say they shall be done away with:

8 Charity never fails: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

And verse 10 tells us why and when:

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

When is that going to be? :24: I'm guessing when Jesus returns? Maybe we just don't have enough faith to do miracles. :24:

it all depends on how some one is "interpreting" this scripture.

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

They're still available to us.