• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  220
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1966

Say, just to ask, some of you primary folks...

What was worthyboards like when it first got started?

How many folks?

What all has changed since the beginning?

I'd love to hear more on the history from some long time members.

Got any stories? How this place has touched your life?

What is your most fond moment that's been shared here?

:blink:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I'm one of the oldest active members I think. (In years here, mind you :thumbsup: ) It started quite small actually, though I certainly don't remember the details, and wasn't here from the very beginning.

It was mostly a close group of like-minded Christians in the beginning. Members began inviting others and it grew - and brought in others that believed differently - though still Christian. The biggest change came when George created the news service, and we began to get tons of traffic! And this was overnight too. He imediately had to increase the ministry by adding more chat administrators and board mods. Now - the site was receiving not only Christians, but atheists as well. You name it - we had it.

I have often thought the smaller board was like a training ground. It was a comfortable place to learn and to grow. It felt safe and familiar. The larger board was almost overwhelming to me at first, and I wans't sure I liked it because the sense of safety was gone, the sense of comfort was gone. However, as George said - this place is here to serve the Lord and that means reaching out to the lost. And it means righting wrongs and uplifting the downtrodden and it means serving the people in the best way that it can.

Now- - my fondest memory? wow. That's kind of a touchy subject for me, really. There have been many, and couldn't possibly tell you all of them, but I can tell you of one of my fondest posteers. A dear old man named Shadow2be. Gary, for short. He was something else. He could make you laugh outright - or make you madder than an old wet hen. He was a dear friend. It took me a while just learnin to read his "dialect." :dance:

I love this place. :24:

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Dotto, here too. We were family and close and like Traveller, I miss shadow2b (gary) terribly. and a lot of others too. Less than 1500 members when I signed up, now there's nearly 60,000. Yep we get all types now, fly-by-nighters, hit and runners, but we have stayed, some of us. We,ve been laughed at, chaffed at, had crap flung at, but we stay, because we treat these forums as a ministry that was divinely appointed by God, for the purposes of edifying and being edified in the word of God.We used to email one another and compare notes on bible issues and family issues. It was a close knit commumity and George has to be complimented on the way he has controlled the running of the whole ministry.

God bless this ministry and God bless George and his family, and the people who have grown in their walk with the lord, as a result of belonging to the family of Worthy. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

I came a bit later... One of the newbies from when the sudden growth began. When I joined, there was such a wonderful group of people who were here for serious Bible study. People who didn't always agree, and yet could discuss without contempt and ridicule. I really learned to look at scripture in new ways and found jewels that I never knew were burried there. I was amazed to find such discernment and insight in one place.

And Shadow was one of a kind. I look forward to seeing him in glory. Maybe there I'll even understand most of what he's saying. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,167
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I've been sort of in and out for quite a while. Early things were much smaller and we didn't have five or six pages of posts a day. We got to know people (for good or bad) and discuss things in depth. Early on we could post pictures and discuss most everything.

There were some really good people here (not that there isn't now) that I really miss writing with. Shadow2b is one that I truly miss. He had such a cool sense of humor and was very knowledgable.

I personally was sent here to pray specifically for three people. When that was accomplished I stayed around for the company was really good. I have needed to go to a couple of other places that take up a lot of my time so I don't spend a lot of time every day like I used to. For two to three years I read every single post on worthyboards..... Maybe when i retire I might find the time to do that again..... well if fishing doesn't get in the way.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

I loved Shadow2b and Dove.....

Both were so patient with me and kind to the core....yeah I had a hard time understanding his writing too sometimes...but deciphering his verbal skills was well worth it :24:

I've learned so much here....and more so as each day passes.

I should add...a good lesson I've learned here is that...sometimes the best reply...is NO reply. :dance::thumbsup:

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,781
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Hmmm...the history of the boards! First of all, a slight correction ... the boards came after the News service. It wasn't till I joined all three services (news, chat, and forums) that everything sort of took off. Honestly, over the years since starting the boards is similar to the chat rooms people develop a "online" life of about 2-3 years before you know it, those who have develop since deep friendships with suddenly disappear out of your life. It's a strange situation for myself, but something I've grown accustomed to. I just trust that the world hasn't "engulfed" some of these dear saints whom I would have easily given my life for.

As time continues to go on, it's becoming harder and harder to post within the main section of the boards simply because time becomes more and more restricted. As the ministry continues to grow, as responsibilities grow (I was single when the boards were started, now I'm married with 2 kids with a full-time ministry) it's becoming more difficult to get to know people intimately on the boards.

My hope is simply this...if you've just started hanging out at Worthy Boards, that you're faith in Him will grow and you're understanding of a limitless and awesome God will blossom.

Your brother in Christ with much agape love,

George

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,043
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

I joined back in 02 sometime . . . but my profile somehow got missed up and George fixed it for me in 03. There seemed to be a more patient and intimate reasoning of the things of God back then . . . though I have witnessed some still here and there. Sadly it seems some of the "believers" lately are quick to a bit snippy with each other while others seem to prefer more of a reader digest theology. I don't think too many of the OT prophets could successfully post here sometimes (kidding).

Regarding Shadow2b, he was unique. Shadow was as refreshing as a cool breeze on a stale hot summer day. His timing with a word of encouragement was almost flawless (like my Sweet Sister Traveller) and his faith always struck me as what Jesus said it should be, childlike. Many, many times I found myself literally laughing out loud with his unique posting abilities which have yet to be duplicated. Maybe some time in eternity to come I will be able to wiggle through the sea of glass of the saints in heaven and get close enough to the Jesus' throne to one day meet him face to face.

I am truly thankful for Brother George and grateful for his ministry, this ministry, and all those who labor in it. I've been touched by many true men and women of God here who, while we did not see eye to eye, shared a common heartbeat with a love for our Saviour and a thirst for truth and understanding.

May God help us all to respect each other as we sit together here reasoning at His feet so that we may know and understand the things necessary to enable us all fulfill our callings so that we need not be ashamed.

We could be so blessed if we could learn to be patient enough to full advantage of each other gifts here from vast amount of insight into wisdom, knowledge, humor and most importantly love.

One thing I have painfully learned in my life is that I only know in part . . . but I am thankful for a place where I can have global access to others who God in His wisdom has equipped with that other part which I very frequently find myself lacking.

Peace to all

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I personally was sent here to pray specifically for three people.

I never knew that. :dance: You deserve a hug brother. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,167
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I personally was sent here to pray specifically for three people.

I never knew that. :blink: You deserve a hug brother. :emot-hug:

I do like hugs.... :)