• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Hey Everyone,

I know I'm not on much since I'm in college (no internet in the dorms), but I have a question: Has anyone here ever experienced physical pain while fasting?

I'm not referring to anything along the lines of a spiritual battle that would thus affect your physical body (I've heard people talk about chills etc because of a spiritual battle), but I mean a little pain. For me, I had this tightness in my stomach, all the way up through the center of my chest, to the bottom/middle of my neck. It was like it was tight and it hurt to the extent that it was like I had to force myself to get a full breath, so I finally gave up and starting stuffing my face with food.

I've talked with other people and I've been told that some people can not physically fast. I talked to one person who says she gets a headache every time she doesnt' eat even one meal so she can't fast much more than one meal.

So here's the big question: Is there anyone here who can not physically fast, and is there anyone here who has experienced physical pain while fasting beyond simply hunger.

I would appreciate any ideas and thoughts! Thank you!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Almost died last time...............

• Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Seriously????

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

If you are use to eating a lot, and suddenly stop, you will have side affects. If one has an illness and tries to fast, they will become sicker because their body is not drawing strength to fight the illness any longer from the food intake.

I suggest that you study about fasting from the physical point of view to gain more understanding of how your body will react.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

I suffer from hypo-glycemia and get week and shakey when I fat. I also get headaches and it take me a couple of days to recover from a fast. As a rule, I do not fast.

What you are describing, I'm not a doctor but I have played one on TV, is a spasm caused by acid in the asophigus.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

The longest I fasted was for 3 days. I did not experience pain. It is always a good idea to consult a doctor before fasting

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

I have been told by my dr that if you have any sugar related problems fasting is probably not a route one should take. I can only go around 7 or 8 hours without eating before I start to get sick. I don't have diabetes but have a problem with my pancreas so fasting over 8 hours is a no no for me.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/05/1969

You need to be totally sure you have no pancreatic/diabetic issues before undertaking a fast from food. If you are hypo-glycemic (low blood sugar), the results could be fatal.

As stated, what you are describing does sound like a spasm of the stomach/esophagus. It doesn't necessarily have to be caused from acid, though. If you are used to eating frequently, or large amounts of food when you do, it's quite possible to then get spasms of this type if you go "cold turkey" from food. It's generally not a good idea to do this. If you feel you are moved to fast, however, then you should prepare your body for this. Eat lesser amounts of food leading up to the fast, to prepare your body for the restriction of calories, and greatly increase your water intake. Keep a normal to high sodium intake (if you have no problems with high blood pressure) and a high intake of potassium leading up to the fast. Going cold turkey into it can cause severe phycical ailments.

So you know, I have never fasted. I am, however, experienced in helping people with drastic calorie restriction.

• Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Seriously????

Very Seriously..... I didn't drink enough water either, and when I finally passed out, my blood was so thick, they couldn't even get a sample! Plus, in my weakened state, an opportunistic Staph infection took over. So if you fast, DRINK WATER, even if you don't feel thirsty.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

Hey Everyone,

I know I'm not on much since I'm in college (no internet in the dorms), but I have a question: Has anyone here ever experienced physical pain while fasting?

I'm not referring to anything along the lines of a spiritual battle that would thus affect your physical body (I've heard people talk about chills etc because of a spiritual battle), but I mean a little pain. For me, I had this tightness in my stomach, all the way up through the center of my chest, to the bottom/middle of my neck. It was like it was tight and it hurt to the extent that it was like I had to force myself to get a full breath, so I finally gave up and starting stuffing my face with food.

I've talked with other people and I've been told that some people can not physically fast. I talked to one person who says she gets a headache every time she doesnt' eat even one meal so she can't fast much more than one meal.

So here's the big question: Is there anyone here who can not physically fast, and is there anyone here who has experienced physical pain while fasting beyond simply hunger.

I would appreciate any ideas and thoughts! Thank you!

I might ask why you are fasting from food if that's what you're talking about. I had to fast overnight for a blood test and I really got hungry; it hurt. Another complication that can arise from fasting from food is headaches. At one stage of my life I suffered from cluster headaches (suicide headaches) and one of the first things the doctors wanted to know is if I practised fasting. Others may have already told you this in replies, but in case they didn't a proper fast is shown us in in Isaiah 58:1-7.

Especially Verses 6 & 7 below.

6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

In Jesus' name -