IGNORED

Can a Christian who refuses to be baptized be a Christian?

Mudcat

Christians and Baptism.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Can a Christian who refuses to be baptized, be a Christian?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe or Other...Please explain.
  2. 2. Does it matter who baptizes a Christian?

• Yes. If so, then who must do it.
    • No.
  3. 3. Does it matter what words are spoken at baptism.

• Yes. The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost.
    • Yes. In the Name of Jesus Christ.
    • No.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

Kind of a trick question. The person is not refusing to be baptized, the so-called churches are refusing to baptize her. Shame on them!

No they are not, they are inviting her to join them in love. They are refusing her nothing, she is refusing to show Christian love, which would then question the whole reason she wants them to baptize her.

Was she only visiting when she got saved? Dd someone maybe tell her she had to be baptised to be saved? I myself am not exactly a joiner. I did join one church who later shunned me for whom I chose to marry. I do not see myself joining again until I have been in a place for a long time.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,272
  • Content Per Day:  4.88
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Kind of a trick question. The person is not refusing to be baptized, the so-called churches are refusing to baptize her. Shame on them!

No they are not, they are inviting her to join them in love. They are refusing her nothing, she is refusing to show Christian love, which would then question the whole reason she wants them to baptize her.

I'm sorry. I thought I read that 2 churches had refused to baptize her unless she joined or was a member of their congregations.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

If I had not wanted people to pry into my children's private lives I would not have posted the question on a public message board, so NO you are not being nosy. :rolleyes:

A very good question.

When my children accepted Christ into their lives as Personal Saviour, they were both "to young" to get baptized. The usual age is 8, because of understanding, etc.

We hopped around to a couple churches since then, finally settling on the one we are in now, going on five years ago. No one in our church has pressed them to get baptized.

They have never professed their faith in church, but they have to us, their parents, and family members. The verse doesn't actually say "in church" so I don't think that is a pre-requesite is it?

I have no doubt as to their relationship with Jesus Christ, as Saviour. Not just because I am their mother, I don't believe in looking at your children through rose colored glasses, it's a detriment to their spiritual well-being, but because their fruit speaks loudly of having the Holy Spirit to guide them.

Ive been following this topic and tonight with this post, I think I have an answer.

Its possible that your kids do not see that they should be baptized since it seems that no one talks about it much. As their parent, you should provide spiritual guidance. Show them why baptism is important. Explain to them what it means, and that He told us to do it. At that point, it is up to them, knowing how important it is to their growth as believers. Perhaps they just need to hear it from someone, that it is something we should do. Not forced on them, but reinforced in their teachings.

Consider another case, let

There is no reason a church should make you join b4 they will baptize you.

To link baptism with church membership diminishes the ordinance He gave us. It is the outward symbol of the changed repentent heart. Not the outward symbol of "hey Im a member of bethany bible church" (or whatever the name is).

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

There is no reason a church should make you join b4 they will baptize you.

To link baptism with church membership diminishes the ordinance He gave us. It is the outward symbol of the changed repentent heart. Not the outward symbol of "hey Im a member of bethany bible church" (or whatever the name is).

I agree with you that you are not joining a congregation when you partake of the sacrament of Baptism. But I also do not agree that Baptism is just for show an outward symbol, we believe baptism is the real deal. So I think that may be impacting how I am thinking about this and causing these differences. If someone came to my congregation to be baptized I would want for their sake for them to understand exactly what we believe is happening in Baptism.

For me it is a matter of consistency of belief and protection for the believer, thus to be a member is simply a way of showing you do believe you are one with fellow believers in that congregation, it is a part of our faith. We already have huge division outside of our congregations, I can't imagine wanting to sow even further division within the congregation by refusing to join, it makes no sense at all to me.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

We already have huge division outside of our congregations, I can't imagine wanting to sow even further division within the congregation by refusing to join, it makes no sense at all to me.

Without denying the importance of baptism, joining a denomination in order to be baptized is not scriptural. I address your statement carefully, Smalclad, because of the delicate subject of denominations. Even though I have not signed my name to any denomination, I do attend church. The reason why I will not sign on is solely due to their doctrines. I find it very unwise to sign in agreement to beliefs I do not hold as true. If a church or denomination would hold to only scripture, and not "their understanding of scripture", I would not have an issue, but for many churches, this is not the case. They tell you in their doctrinal beliefs what they believe and if you sign on, you are also agreeing to them. A couple of examples would be a church that hold in their belief that the gifts are not for today and another church that believe that you have to speak in tongues in order to be saved. Even though they are good bible believing churches, I do not hold either belief as true.

OneLight

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

We already have huge division outside of our congregations, I can't imagine wanting to sow even further division within the congregation by refusing to join, it makes no sense at all to me.

Without denying the importance of baptism, joining a denomination in order to be baptized is not scriptural. I address your statement carefully, Smalclad, because of the delicate subject of denominations. Even though I have not signed my name to any denomination, I do attend church. The reason why I will not sign on is solely due to their doctrines. I find it very unwise to sign in agreement to beliefs I do not hold as true. If a church or denomination would hold to only scripture, and not "their understanding of scripture", I would not have an issue, but for many churches, this is not the case. They tell you in their doctrinal beliefs what they believe and if you sign on, you are also agreeing to them. A couple of examples would be a church that hold in their belief that the gifts are not for today and another church that believe that you have to speak in tongues in order to be saved. Even though they are good bible believing churches, I do not hold either belief as true.

OneLight

Mainly I was trying to get my mind around why someone would come to a group of believers in a congregation and ask them to baptize them, when they disagreed with that group of believers? Obviously they assign some sort of legitimacy to the congregation and their doctrine to seek baptism with a group. As we have discussed baptism does not need a congregation, it needs two believers, the Word of God and water.

I understand not joining congregations we disagree with, it is not wise. In my own life for example I sometimes attend a congregation some Sunday's as the one we belong to is quite a ways away, but I will not join this group as they have things I disagree with. The pastor knows this, but at the same time out of respect for their congregation I would NEVER make an issue about what I think they have wrong, as I consider it a privilege that they allow me to worship God with them. But I won't commune with them nor would I allow my children to be baptized by them.

Anyway I have gotten the discussion way off track from the OP sorry for that.

As far as the OP goes, I do not believe a Christian who has faith would intentionally refuse to be baptized. Now, they may not have a chance to be baptized, they may die or something before it happens or they may be in a situation where for a variety of logistical reasons it does not happen right away. But I do not think that if they have faith they would run from and refuse baptism. It would be a sign that they were not Christian and did not have faith in Christ.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

OneLight

Can't you find a church where you will be able to sit under those with whom you share a common belief? It must be uncomfortable to allow yourself to be led by those you don't fully trust to teach you. Isn't that basically what you are feeling?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

OneLight

Can't you find a church where you will be able to sit under those with whom you share a common belief? It must be uncomfortable to allow yourself to be led by those you don't fully trust to teach you. Isn't that basically what you are feeling?

I share a common belief with just about every church, for the common belief is Jesus Christ. As for being uncomfortable ... No, not at all! I take what anyone teaches/preaches and set it side by side with scripture to see if it is inline with His word anyway. Sitting under anyone would require a Barean approach. As I mentioned, I have not problem going to a church that teaches His word. The trouble is some don't teach all of it and others set conditions that I do not hold true. Still, His word never returns void and His Spirit teaches the truth. :o