• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

I think we can wrap ourselves up into a bondage of sorts by trying to say that everything that is not specificlly "christian" is vain and sinfull. hould be in faith.

It's bondage indeed. Our enemy would have us fulfill our of our time doing religious activities. I think you are right; it would drive you crazy and get nothing done for the Kingdom of God.

The core problem is a defective Christian worldview. God created everything and God Himself said it was GOOD! The OP says everything not religious is vain and sinful. That idea is nonsense.

I don't buy for one minute that God convicted the OP's heart of this because it is contrary to God's Word. Everything that sounds religious isn't the Gospel. I could claim that God convicted my heart about eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but there is just no basis in the Bible for that.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

JCISGD,

Do you agree that God values rest? He Himself set up the mandate that the 7th day is a day of rest. Some of us rest by listening to music, some by reading, some by a leisurely walk. But resting, and relaxing, and not "working", is valued and actually mandated by God Himself.

What do you think the motive of rest is? You keep coming back to movites, but I'd like you to address what you think the motive of rest is, and whether it is good or bad, given that God mandates it.

Blessings,

Andy

Rest is commanded by God because we need to rest, it is a moral need and therefore is not vain if for the right motive. A person may rest to avoid something they should be doing or to be lazy, these are wrong motives but there are of course right motives for resting and it is not a vain activity if so.

I dont know why people keep trying to find a particular activity that is vain? it is the motive that makes it vain or not. The motive is what the individual makes it and the activity without the person has no motive.

Blessings,

Arthur.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

this is because you cant even tell us what is a vain activity, how can we show you something that we dont even know what you are talking about.
-RG

I stated this in my OP, but people cant grasp the concept that motive is taken into account when deciding wrongfulness of anything. Is it not so in all courts?

I was getting ready to bring up that very same point. I'm sure while Jesus and his disciples were traveling from place to place they would do some things for entertainment. They could have had a nightly hacky sack game every night for all we know.
- Melasthanatos

The bible doesnt just give the facts of Jesus life but the tenor of it as well. At 12 he was found in the temple teaching the scribes and pharisee`s. But your right He may have i just dont see it somehow.

I've been a model railroader since I was very young. I enjoy it. It serves a useful purpose to help de-stress me. When enjoyed with fellow believers, it's a great time of fellowship. Witnessing can be carried out in a number of different ways. I have spoken numerous times to my SDA friend regarding Scripture and spiritual topics while we've worked on my layout. Sometimes, I enjoy working on the layout alone too. While doing so, I can reflect on spiritual things.
-BB

This is a good example of my point, your activity is both interesting to you and helpful to the spread of the gospel. It is does not seem vain or selfish, but only you and the Lord know your motive and i am not trying to decide anyones motive.

Although I dont sit around all day dreading God is mad at me for watching the Bears on tv. We are saved by faith, in fact everything we do should be in faith.
-Hs

Why are you implying things to me i have not? Where have i said watching tv or the bears on tv is vain? or that God would be mad at you for doing so? I agree whatever is not done in faith is sin, i am not trying to censor anyone or anything.

The OP says everything not religious is vain and sinful. That idea is nonsense.
-KC

Where did i say that? Im am talking motive and have tried to show that religious things can be done vainly also if done from a wrong motive.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Hopefully you will still address a couple of things I brought up at in my post at the bottom of page nine.

Here is ONE statement that you said...it is very specific, and it covers what you think about secular music, and is completely out in left field

Secular music is a sin if listened to with no goal of glorifying God in doing so, and the only way it could glorify God would be if it helps in saving souls.

then in your latest reply to people you state....

Where have i said watching tv or the bears on tv is vain? or that God would be mad at you for doing so? I agree whatever is not done in faith is sin, i am not trying to censor anyone or anything.

On the one hand you DECLARE that secular music is sin if not glorifying G-d in some way...then you say you are not trying to censor anyone.

It is this type of 'doublespeek' that baffles people (certainly me), because by your very statement you are pointing a finger and accusing, rather than declaring the truth and encouraging people to press forward in G-d (which I think is the MOTIVE behind your words), and to take stock by using our time wisely....can't you see the difference?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I fully agree with your last sentence, and i think i tried to show you this in an earlier reply where i said not all are evangelists but that all parts of the body can and do help in the evangelistic efforts of the body even if indirectly.

Well, I won't disagree that the evangelistic effort is helped through the other parts. But I will still disagree that evangelism is the bottom line.

I know this is your burden and calling, but it isn't mine, and it does put a heavy weight on me to be put under that burden.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I fully agree with your last sentence, and i think i tried to show you this in an earlier reply where i said not all are evangelists but that all parts of the body can and do help in the evangelistic efforts of the body even if indirectly.

Well, I won't disagree that the evangelistic effort is helped through the other parts. But I will still disagree that evangelism is the bottom line.

I know this is your burden and calling, but it isn't mine, and it does put a heavy weight on me to be put under that burden.

Nebula,

It is an unsustainable burden for anyone - Christian or not. Don't feel alone - someone trying to state that vanity is anything not being a evangelistic effort is just an unrealistic and unattainable feat. God means for us to witness for Him but to also enjoy our lives.... and sometimes that means doing something that is simply a pleasure to do. Never feel guilty about recharging your energy or your spiritual 'batteries' by doing something that is enjoyable. :whistling: