carlos123

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  4

I am a web developer by trade. A person I know emailed me today for a quote on building him a website but in further correspondance he told me that the site he wants me to build has to do with making fun of President Obama.

I am concerned about building such a site in view of what Paul said about not speaking evil of one's rulers and otherwise praying for them and respecting them as one's that God has placed in authority over us.

If Paul said that during the time of the Roman Caesar's there is no excuse for not doing at least as much with our current President.

As a Christian I absolutely refuse to work on sites that would support ungodliness or in any way compromise righteousness for me to work on them. This one bothers me.

What I am thinking of doing is letting my client know that I can build him a site that will allow him to post his own content entirely. Where I will not be involved in posting the content.

What do you all think? Is that enough or should I just gracefully say no to helping him with this site at all? I don't know what the domain name is but that may poke fun at the President too.

He is not a Christian but knows without any doubt whatever that I am one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Carlos

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

God will not allow you to be tempted above that which you are able.

The door is open to escape.

An opportunity to bear witness of living a righteous life in the fear of God is here.

Choose wisely my brother.

Gary

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

I am a web developer by trade. A person I know emailed me today for a quote on building him a website but in further correspondance he told me that the site he wants me to build has to do with making fun of President Obama.

I am concerned about building such a site in view of what Paul said about not speaking evil of one's rulers and otherwise praying for them and respecting them as one's that God has placed in authority over us.

If Paul said that during the time of the Roman Caesar's there is no excuse for not doing at least as much with our current President.

As a Christian I absolutely refuse to work on sites that would support ungodliness or in any way compromise righteousness for me to work on them. This one bothers me.

What I am thinking of doing is letting my client know that I can build him a site that will allow him to post his own content entirely. Where I will not be involved in posting the content.

What do you all think? Is that enough or should I just gracefully say no to helping him with this site at all? I don't know what the domain name is but that may poke fun at the President too.

He is not a Christian but knows without any doubt whatever that I am one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Carlos

If it is bothering you I wouldn't. But it is your choice.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

If it is bothering you I wouldn't. But it is your choice.

I second this statement above. People tease and kid with one another, and it seems to be acceptable in certain situations or terms, and by whom. But poking fun of someone for the purpose of making them look bad, feel bad or to cause humiliation or embarrassment is a whole nother ball game.

No matter the motive of this person, the web page is still a reflection of you and your values. You might lose this one client, but then again may gain 2 more to replace the one lost. Be honest with yourself and others. If there is ever a question mark or doubt in your mind, about something, it is better to not do it.

Thanks very much for the input you all.

I decided to reply to this potential client and let him know that, although I do not like Obama personally and think he is a terrible President, that I just did not feel comfortable working on a site that poked fun at the President in view of God wanting me to respect him in that office, to pray for him, and to honor him as our elected leader.

Carlos

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Thanks very much for the input you all.

I decided to reply to this potential client and let him know that, although I do not like Obama personally and think he is a terrible President, that I just did not feel comfortable working on a site that poked fun at the President in view of God wanting me to respect him in that office, to pray for him, and to honor him as our elected leader.

Carlos

:thumbsup:

Guest Butero

You can't violate your conscience, so you did the right thing. I would have probably helped build the site and given suggestions for content, but thats me. The line for me would have been if the web-site was posting things blatantly false about Obama? I couldn't go along with that. Even so, if you believe that building the site would be sin, to you it is sin, so I applaud you for following God's leading.

You can't violate your conscience, so you did the right thing. I would have probably helped build the site and given suggestions for content, but thats me. The line for me would have been if the web-site was posting things blatantly false about Obama? I couldn't go along with that. Even so, if you believe that building the site would be sin, to you it is sin, so I applaud you for following God's leading.

Yeah, I thought of just building the site and letting him insert his own content using WordPress but the thing is that I would have had to fiddle with his domain name which may have made fun of the President or otherwise worked with him to get his content, ridiculing Obama, up. For me it was not so much a matter of conscience, though it certainly was that too, as just being out of line with how the Lord wants Christians to be respecting their attitudes and respect for those in positions of authority.

It's interesting that the Lord tested my heart in this because the money I would have made would have paid for my entire next month's expenses at a time when I could have really used the money. This is the third time in the last few months when I have had to give up work on websites that would have gone against the grain of righteousness for me.

The Lord has always provided for me but it has not been entirely without a testing of my heart. As to whether I am going to trust Him as my provision or go for what lies in sight even if it is questionable or out of line with how He would want me as a Christian to act.

Carlos

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

With me if a thing feels good, it usually is. If I have a slight doubt or try convincing myself that it should be Ok, the red flag goes up, and I usually back off whatever crazy idea I might be considering.

It's like that with prayer with me as well. I cannot count how many times I know God has answered or spoken. I just know when He has. There is a peace about me regarding the situation I have prayed about. I have this calm certainty that He has answered. When I start looking too hard for the answers in my everyday walk, I know that He is telling me no, or not yet. And I keep praying into the situation.

I have only stepped out in faith a few times and said to people, God has given me an answer about the situation we have been praying for, and I have only done this when I feel that calm certainty.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Props Carlos.

I would have done the same thing, passed on this one.

Recently, I was given opportunity to renovate a church not far from where I live and was pretty much a shoe in for the job.

It would have been at least four months work for me, and somewhat lucrative. All of my talents as a contractor would have come into play as well, the kind of jobs I enjoy the most.

Like yourself, it seemed to be a time when I could have used the money.

However, this denomination recently embraced the sin of homosexuality. Not only embraced it, but allows Sodomites to preach from the pulpit as "preachers."

What utter blasphemy.

At the same time I went to them to pass up on this job, I prayerfully gave it's main secretary a paper for the pastor, on why I had to pass on this as a Christian man.

Rightly dividing God's Word, I included verses speaking against the sin of homosexuality, rebuking them as a denomination, and imploring them to repent and come out from this great sinfulness now being done in the name of the Lord.

As Christians, it's all about Who we really work For:

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

Colossians 3:23-24