• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

I remember shows like My Three Sons, Leave it to Beaver, Ozzy and Harriet, Father Knows Best and so on. They had real life morals that people used to believe in. TV shows sure have changed in the past few years.

With the exception of Leave it to Beaver, if all I had to watch were those particular type of shows, I suspect I would probably give up television completely. Even during the time of those great and wholesome shows, sin was rampant, and God's estimation of man's heart was still "None righteous, not even one". Even before television was invented, the heart of man was and is still wicked beyond belief. Sure tv can be a filthy junk box, but it is neither the cause or source of the worlds problems. lol I know you didn't say any of that Onelight, but I just wanted to use your post as a launching point for my little rant.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I remember shows like My Three Sons, Leave it to Beaver, Ozzy and Harriet, Father Knows Best and so on. They had real life morals that people used to believe in. TV shows sure have changed in the past few years.

With the exception of Leave it to Beaver, if all I had to watch were those particular type of shows, I suspect I would probably give up television completely. Even during the time of those great and wholesome shows, sin was rampant, and God's estimation of man's heart was still "None righteous, not even one". Even before television was invented, the heart of man was and is still wicked beyond belief. Sure tv can be a filthy junk box, but it is neither the cause or source of the worlds problems. lol I know you didn't say any of that Onelight, but I just wanted to use your post as a launching point for my little rant.

Sin has always been rampant, but it was not shown as normal in society back then as it is today. The 70s' show was mentioned. What the 70's show portrays is what the hippies lived; sex, drugs and rock n roll. This show did not begin until 1998. It would not of made the roll if it was shown in the time it is speaking of. TV, like the society it influences, has been going down since it began. I wonder how low it will go on regular tv. We are what we feed ourselves, mentally, physically and spiritually.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

"Sin has always been rampant, but it was not shown as normal in society back then as it is today"

Yes, that's it. OneLight hit the nail on the head. Sin will probably be rampart until Jesus comes back. But once upon a time the average sitcom presented the viewer with ideals and morals. Some of us took them to heart, I know I did. But nowadays TV not only presents the viewer with the ideas that sin, such as homosexuality is normal, but it also gives people with sick murderous minds, with new ideas on how to kill people. And the movies are worse.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

TV is like money.......the user decides the end result.

I agree with your outlook on this, I think there are things on television which can be beneficial, as well as shows that are "mind garbage." It's a personal decision that people can make as to what they consume. I have never been an avid television watcher, and oddly enough the few shows I like are specifically avoided by others I noticed lol. In the end how we choose to entertain ourselves is subjective, for myself, I prefer a good book or a news article.

Right. We might not all agree on what we like to watch but we might agree on what we should not watch...now I'm wondering what forbidden shows you like...just teasing...must be some reality shows LOL!

It is also up to the individual if they believe everything they see, read or hear. It is probably wise to not to....but I like to keep current...anyway, that's how I see it

The Brady Bunch (I never watched it but I know about the show), may have appeared wholesome, but I believe that the female star (mother) actually had an affair with

one of the older boys in real life, so what you see is not always what you get

Which is why, long breath, I guess I like watching informative shows and some movies and some programs...sounds like full circle to me

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

I agree with your outlook on this, I think there are things on television which can be beneficial, as well as shows that are "mind garbage." It's a personal decision that people can make as to what they consume. I have never been an avid television watcher, and oddly enough the few shows I like are specifically avoided by others I noticed lol. In the end how we choose to entertain ourselves is subjective, for myself, I prefer a good book or a news article.

Right. We might not all agree on what we like to watch but we might agree on what we should not watch...now I'm wondering what forbidden shows you like...just teasing...must be some reality shows LOL!

It is also up to the individual if they believe everything they see, read or hear. It is probably wise to not to....but I like to keep current...anyway, that's how I see it

The Brady Bunch (I never watched it but I know about the show), may have appeared wholesome, but I believe that the female star (mother) actually had an affair with

Which is why, long breath, I guess I like watching informative shows and some movies and some programs...sounds like full circle to me

Not only did the affair you mentioned happen, but the actor who played the father was a homosexual, so yeah, they had some secrets lol. The shows I like are Survivor and The Amazing Race, both reality shows, but I find them entertaining. :)

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

Not only did the affair you mentioned happen, but the actor who played the father was a homosexual, so yeah, they had some secrets lol. The shows I like are Survivor and The Amazing Race, both reality shows, but I find them entertaining. :)

Yes,and Rock Hudson was gay too.I sure thought the was a hunk way back when.I had not clue he was gay.

I don't think one gets brownie points for throwing out their tv. or a halo or stars. I guess though if you are tempted to watch what personally hurts you and you just cannot say no, well then do what you must do....like the chocoholic who cannot keep chocolate in the house because they will eat till it's all gone!

I guess the same can be said about computers so I don't know what the fuss is all about. Actually, you can get into a whole lot more trouble on the computer yet everyone contributing to this thread has one of those.....hmmm.............

Its not so much about throwing out the TV or browie points for me. Its about a couple of things, really.

One is that I can't afford to buy one of the new TV's after they did that change to the digital signals and all of that.

The second reason is that I had no desire to watch TV other than the local news and weather for at least 6 months before I moved to the unfurnished apartment I'm in now. I lost the desire to watch the stuff on the networks. I'll give credit for that to Jesus, since apart from Him I'm normally a TV junkie and spent way too much time watching the box when I could have been doing other things with my time. I don't really have time for TV between work and the other things the Lord has me doing, so I don't miss TV that much.

If I do miss something or want to see a movie there's always Hulu, Netflix, & Amazon for streaming a show or movie on the computer. :) I suppose you could make a case for tossing the computer out, but for me the TV was an extra expense I just didn't need or want.

The shows I like are Survivor and The Amazing Race, both reality shows, but I find them entertaining. :)

Survivor?

Yes, Surviving without a cell phone for 30 days!!!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

Wingnut: "Not only did the affair you mentioned happen, but the actor who played the father was a homosexual, so yeah, they had some secrets lol. "

True. But Their private lives didn't affect the wholesomeness of the show.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I grew up at grandmas house alot and we watched: my three sons, flip wilson, gilligans island, touched by an angel. Shows were very different, and thats why they have been phased out now. A favorite of mine is little house on the prairie and gunsmoke. Killing maybe but there is always a good moral lesson, and community being good to eachother. I watched 'the bible' last night and didn't think it was bad. I noted that the narrator said 'Abram's people' and 'their people' which is to be expected I suppose. But all the while I'm thinking yeah buddy those are your people too, and my people....