JDavis

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  0

Obama statment following Zimmerman verdict.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/14/obama-makes-statement-following-zimmerman-verdict/?hpt=hp_t2

"The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy. Not just for his family, or for any one community, but for America. I know this case has elicited strong passions. And in the wake of the verdict, I know those passions may be running even higher. But we are a nation of laws, and a jury has spoken. I now ask every American to respect the call for calm reflection from two parents who lost their young son. And as we do, we should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to widen the circle of compassion and understanding in our own communities. We should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis. We should ask ourselves, as individuals and as a society, how we can prevent future tragedies like this. As citizens, that’s a job for all of us. That’s the way to honor Trayvon Martin."

I agree with the President's statement but......the federal government, nor the President, should never have weighed in on what was a state issue, subject to Florida law.                         

What does this verdict have to do with gun control?

The President has shown once again that he is out of touch with America and the rule of law.

Who mentioned gun control?  :confused: 

He's probably referencing what the president said after the verdict:

"We should ask ourselves if we're doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis. We should ask ourselves, as individuals and as a society, how we can prevent future tragedies like this. As citizens, that's a job for all of us. That's the way to honor Trayvon Martin."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I am as well,  JDavis.  I believe Zimmerman, while not guilty of murder, is guilty of provoking a confrontation.  Even if the Martin kid was being a typical mouthy teenager he didn't deserve to die for it.  Lives have been devastated and one lost forever here.  But the jury has spoken and we have to respect their verdict.

Zimmerman was jumped and beaten by the kid.  How, exactly, does that translate into provoking a confrontation?  If Zimmerman had been black, and the kid killed was white or Hispanic, the case never would have gone to trial and he probably wouldn't have been charged at all. So your concept of "justice" and my concept of justice are not the same.  You are advocating that an innocent man be held responsible and punished for something that he didn't do.  Would that work for you, if the shoe were on your foot?

Are you privy to evidence the rest of us don't know about, Cobalt?  You don't know what Zimmerman had in his head that night, do you?  Nor do you understand my post, apparently, or maybe you choose not to understand it.  Zimmerman was wrong in his actions and so was Martin. The whole thing is a tragedy for these two families.  I stand by my statement above because I, unlike you, realize that I don't really know anything except what we've heard.  Now stop trying to tell me what I'm advocating because you don't know THAT either. 

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/14/obama-makes-statement-following-zimmerman-verdict/?hpt=hp_t2

"The death of Trayvon Martin was a tragedy. Not just for his family, or for any one community, but for America. I know this case has elicited strong passions. And in the wake of the verdict, I know those passions may be running even higher. But we are a nation of laws, and a jury has spoken. I now ask every American to respect the call for calm reflection from two parents who lost their young son. And as we do, we should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to widen the circle of compassion and understanding in our own communities. We should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis. We should ask ourselves, as individuals and as a society, how we can prevent future tragedies like this. As citizens, that’s a job for all of us. That’s the way to honor Trayvon Martin."

I agree with the President's statement but......the federal government, nor the President, should never have weighed in on what was a state issue, subject to Florida law.                         

The President has shown once again that he is out of touch with America and the rule of law.

"We should ask ourselves if we're doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis. We should ask ourselves, as individuals and as a society, how we can prevent future tragedies like this. As citizens, that's a job for all of us. That's the way to honor Trayvon Martin."

Okay, I see what youre saying.  I really didn't get that from the President's statement; just that we should try to stop the waste of lives by senseless violence and with that I wholeheartedly agree..  I lost a dear friend to gun violence but I never blamed the gun; I blame the husband who pulled the trigger.  I don't pretend to have answers but I do know there are people out there who should NOT have a gun.

Okay, I see what youre saying.  I really didn't get that from the President's statement; just that we should try to stop the waste of lives by senseless violence and with that I wholeheartedly agree..  I lost a dear friend to gun violence but I never blamed the gun; I blame the husband who pulled the trigger.  I don't pretend to have answers but I do know there are people out there who should NOT have a gun.

Which people are those?

Which people are those?

The mentally ill, people who have shot someone before, criminals and people like my friend's husband.....a psycho meth-addict.  Even extreme cowards shouldn't have a gun, IMO.  But I realize it's impossible to regulate most of that and I'm not even sure I want any more regulation of guns because I AM a gun owner.  Like I said, I don't have the answers.  But gun ownership should be soley a STATE issue and the feds need to stay out of it.

Which people are those?

The mentally ill, people who have shot someone before, criminals and people like my friend's husband.....a psycho meth-addict.  Even extreme cowards shouldn't have a gun, IMO.  But I realize it's impossible to regulate most of that and I'm not even sure I want any more regulation of guns because I AM a gun owner.  Like I said, I don't have the answers.  But gun ownership should be soley a STATE issue and the feds need to stay out of it.

The only reasoning I'm really willing to accept here are those who have been convicted of violent crimes. The fact remains that there's an amendment to the constitution protecting the right, which in and of itself disallows states from overregulation, i.e. it shouldn't be a states' issue insofar as that they should be able to regulate them how they see fit, even if that means banning them entirely. That's why the amendment is there.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

The basic fact, without any embellishments, is an innocent young man was killed and the corrupt laws and corrupt judicial system in this country allowed a guilty man to go free.

Jesus Christ never advocated nor would he condone killing another human being in so-called "self-defense."  Nowhere in the Bible did any of the apostles or Jesus Christ's disciples lift a hand against their aggressors.  Jesus Christ advocated loving our enemies and praying for those who persecute us.

Matthew 5:43 You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Acts 7:55 But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56“Look,” he said, “I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.” 57At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60Then he fell on his knees and cried out, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.

Edited by WalkTheWay

The basic fact is an innocent young man was killed and the corrupt laws and corrupt judicial system in this country allowed a guilty man to go free.

Jesus Christ never advocated nor would he condone killing another human being in so-called "self-defense."  Nowhere in the Bible did any of the apostles or Jesus Christ's disciples lift a hand against their aggressors.  Jesus Christ advocated loving our enemies and praying for those who persecute us.

Firstly, I'd ask why Jesus said:

Luk 22:36  Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. 

Luk 22:37  For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: 'AND HE WAS NUMBERED WITH THE TRANSGRESSORS.' For the things concerning Me have an end." 

Luk 22:38  So they said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." And He said to them, "It is enough." 

Secondly, I'd say, you're absolutely wrong about an apostle not lifting a hand against aggressors:

Joh 18:10  Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus. 

Joh 18:11  So Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into the sheath. Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given Me?" 

Also notable here is that Jesus didn't say that peter shouldn't have defended him, just that He was going to drink the cup which His Father had given Him (i.e. he was going to be crucified).

Which people are those?

The only reasoning I'm really willing to accept here are those who have been convicted of violent crimes. The fact remains that there's an amendment to the constitution protecting the right, which in and of itself disallows states from overregulation, i.e. it shouldn't be a states' issue insofar as that they should be able to regulate them how they see fit, even if that means banning them entirely. That's why the amendment is there.

I'm sorry but I really don't get what you mean.  :confused:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

The President did!

We should ask ourselves if we’re doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis.

Once again he used a tragedy to further a Political course of action and for his own gain. Kinda like, "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon," or, "The police acted stupidly."

Eric Holder should be fired and the President impeached for the offenses they've committed both prior to and right after this verdict. The Justice department was down in Sanford spending millions of dollars stoking the fires of racism and supporting race baiting poverty pimps like Al Sharpton prior to Zimmerman's arrest, which should never have happened.