• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

Can you please provide evidence that "most" theologians and scholars believe this.

Thanks

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  9

I have also heard that Jesus birthday was not December 25th but I will choose to celebrate it then.I don't want it to be so complicated. :mellow:

thats fine, alot of people do that, I wonder how you would feel if your husband decided to celebrate your birthday on the same day as the girl he dated before he met you, he could say its just easier,

No husband.Been there done that.No thanks. :mgcheerful:

well sorry to hear that, more than likely you have a good understanding of being disrespected, can you still imagine meeting a new guy and he decides to celebrate your birthday on his ex's birthday, because its just more convenient for him since his whole family gets together that same day for years and years........somtimes I think people don't realize God has feelings just like the ones He gave us

If God has feelings about His birthday, well, FYI, God doesn't have a birthday.

God did not tell us when Jesus was born in the flesh. Jesus Who is eternal, pre-existed His 'birth' as God in the flesh. God does not really have a birthday.  The importance of the birth of Jesus in the flesh, is that those who had waited for the Messiah, and seen the signs of His time, knew, the Messiah had come. The importance is to people. God didn't give us the date for the incarnation, or command us to celebrate Jesus birth in the flesh. To assign God feelings of hurt over the celebration of the incarnation on a potentially wrong date, is simply trying to make God like fallen man. SInce Jesus did not come into existance at the incarnation as He pre-existed, it is silly to try to assign hurt feelings.   

• Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I wonder how you would feel if your husband decided to celebrate your birthday on the same day as the girl he dated before he met you, he could say its just easier,

yuh just know there's gonna be trouble when you read comments like that...pushes hat back off of forehead, dusts off hands and walks off to the sound of jingling spurs...dude where's my horse?

no I'm just wondering if God has emotions, we know from scripture He claims to be a Jealous God, and He doesn't  like sharing being God with other gods, we also see from scripture that He doesn't  accept offerings on other gods altars, but for some reason we are to imagine that when it comes to celebrating His Son's birthday, any day will do, even if its a pagan holiday that had nothing to do with Christ birth but was merely a way the Catholic church once again used paganism as a way to get pagans to come inside the church

I can't wait to see your contributions to the annual Christmas thread!  Counting the days........ :rolleyes:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

An interesting topic.  As a newcomer to the forums, thought I might jump in on this one.

I'm on board with several thoughts here; one being that nowhere in Scripture is any celebration

of the Incarnation required (or mentioned), as far as I know.  Like another poster, I've heard of

the celebration in December having its roots in pagan customs, such as Saturnalia, the Yule

Log, the evergreen symbols of immortality, and of course, the Big Fib of the fake Giver of Gifts...

who can "see you when you're sleeping....and knows when you're awake..and knows if you've been

bad or good....."    Hmmm.  Remind you of anyone in particular?  Of course, I'm quite certain no one

on THIS forum would deliberately lie to a child for the sake of a custom. 

Personally, I've chosen to treat that particular day like any other, for many years.  But what say ye?

Question #1:  Are the angels really looking down and laughing at my Shakespearean English

and asking "Hey, isn't it 2013 down there?"   Which question is, admittedly, a bit off topic.

Question #2, Does Romans 14 settle the matter, between Christians?

Rom 14:5  One man esteemeth one day above another:

another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6  He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day,

to the Lord he doth not regard it.

On the other hand, I'm picturing so many Christians, literally on their knees, on Dec 25, in front

of  a tree that sounds oddly similar to this idol mentioned in Jeremiah:

Jer 10:2  Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
Jer 10:3  For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
Jer 10:4  They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
Jer 10:5  They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
Jer 10:6  Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.
Jer 10:7  Who would not fear thee, O King of nations? for to thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto thee.
Jer 10:8  But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities.

Hmmm.  Remind you of anything in particular?  And have I broken several forum rules by now?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

We can know when Jesus was born.   Jesus was 33 1/2 years when he died on Nisan/Aviv 14.   So, simply count backwards six months from Aviv 14 and that lands on the week of Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles) in early October, late September.

We cannot say on what precise day Jesus died, but we can deduce from the data given us in Scripture that Jesus was born in the Autumn of the year right around the feast of Tabernacles.

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter.  But IMO Christ Jesus was born on the first day of the Feast of Sukkot/Booth/Tabernacles and was circumcised on the Eight Day Assembly;            Luke 2:21.  I know many Christians use John 1:14 as some sort of proof texts that this was His Birthday--15 Tishrei:

And the Word became flesh and Tabernacled among us: and we saw His glory, such glory as an only Begotten Son receives from His Father, full of grace and truth.

John 1:14 

Amplified Bible

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Ok from all the replies to the OP about Jesus and His birthday, we can draw one concrete conclusion!

Nobody actually knows!

And the bible did not think it important enough in the greater scheme of salvation to tell us!

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

You all know it really does not matter don't you? Early Christians celebrated the death and resurrection of Christ. Because that is what saved us from our sins.  They could cared less about what day he was born on.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,268
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

if you take the time to watch the video i posted you might agree that it was December 25th when the magi gave the gifts to Jesus.

celebrating his birth, but not his birthday.

It's a well known fact that Christ was not born on Christmas, does anyone else celebrate His birthday on the day most bible theologians and astrologers believe is probably the real day Jesus was born

September 11........Its interesting that it would also be a day chosen to attack America

~

Celebrate

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.  And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:7-14

Celebrate

Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. Isaiah 53

Dance To The LORD

Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD. Psalms 150

Celebrate

He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. Matthew 28:6

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

An interesting topic.  As a newcomer to the forums, thought I might jump in on this one.

I'm on board with several thoughts here; one being that nowhere in Scripture is any celebration

of the Incarnation required (or mentioned), as far as I know.  Like another poster, I've heard of

the celebration in December having its roots in pagan customs, such as Saturnalia, the Yule

Log, the evergreen symbols of immortality, and of course, the Big Fib of the fake Giver of Gifts...

who can "see you when you're sleeping....and knows when you're awake..and knows if you've been

bad or good....."    Hmmm.  Remind you of anyone in particular?  Of course, I'm quite certain no one

on THIS forum would deliberately lie to a child for the sake of a custom. 

Personally, I've chosen to treat that particular day like any other, for many years.  But what say ye?

Question #1:  Are the angels really looking down and laughing at my Shakespearean English

and asking "Hey, isn't it 2013 down there?"   Which question is, admittedly, a bit off topic.

Question #2, Does Romans 14 settle the matter, between Christians?

Rom 14:5  One man esteemeth one day above another:

another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Rom 14:6  He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day,

to the Lord he doth not regard it.

On the other hand, I'm picturing so many Christians, literally on their knees, on Dec 25, in front

of  a tree that sounds oddly similar to this idol mentioned in Jeremiah:

Jer 10:2  Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

Jer 10:3  For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

Jer 10:4  They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

Jer 10:5  They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

Jer 10:6  Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and thy name is great in might.

Jer 10:7  Who would not fear thee, O King of nations? for to thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto thee.

Jer 10:8  But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities.

Hmmm.  Remind you of anything in particular?  And have I broken several forum rules by now?

Every point you have brought up above have been thoroughly debunked time after time, year after year.  The Jeremiah 10 false premise, in particular, always a perennial favorite with the Christmas Bad crowd, is a particularly poor piece of exegesis.  Jeremiah 10 is quite clear in what it is talking about, and that is making an idol in the shape of a person (god) and worshiping it.

Jeremiah 10:1-11  Hear what the LORD says to you, O house of Israel.  2 This is what the LORD says: "Do not learn the ways of the nations or be terrified by signs in the sky, though the nations are terrified by them.  3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.  4 They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter.  5 Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good."  6 No one is like you, O LORD; you are great, and your name is mighty in power.  7 Who should not revere you, O King of the nations? This is your due. Among all the wise men of the nations and in all their kingdoms, there is no one like you.  8 They are all senseless and foolish; they are taught by worthless wooden idols.  9 Hammered silver is brought from Tarshish and gold from Uphaz. What the craftsman and goldsmith have made is then dressed in blue and purple-- all made by skilled workers.  10 But the LORD is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King. When he is angry, the earth trembles; the nations cannot endure his wrath.  11 "Tell them this: 'These gods, who did not make the heavens and the earth, will perish from the earth and from under the heavens.'"

Jeremiah calls it an idol, directly.  God tells him it cannot speak and cannot walk.  Since trees have never been able to either speak or walk, this passage cannot be talking about a Christmas tree.  Christmas trees didn't exist in any form until the 16th century AD.  The Saturnalia and greatly-feared Babylonia "Yule log" are also a couple of grasping-at-sticks myths as well.  But you have to use what you have, year after year, when it's all you've got.  I can think of at least a couple more dog-eared items you missed.

I've never bowed on my knees in front of a Christmas tree, and I don't know anyone personally who has either, and that is probably the worst reasoning when it comes to Christmas that I have ever seen.  The Christmas tree is not an idol.  It certainly does not fit Jeremiah 10.  And no one is worshiping it anyway, so it isn't an idol.  It's a pretty and sometimes annoying dodad that sits in a room for a month or so like other knick knacks that people have.  So if you are going to assign some sinister motivation to a Christmas tree that it doesn't actually have, I hope you don't have any other kind of useless dodads in your house that you have sitting around just because you are fond of them, think they are kind of cool, or just because you like to look at them.  Like pictures.  Or porcelain figurines.  Or things you collect just for the fun of it.  Because to use your measure of logic, I could brand them as idols and you would have to get rid of them.

You have not broken any forum rules.  Just posted something that is false and not binding on anyone.  And all of it based on poor reasoning.

Whooa there, Co.  Obviously I got under your skin.  I  REALLY don't take myself that seriously, or anyone else for that matter, after 30-odd years of hanging out with Jesus.  Please forgive me -- a little grace for the new Kid who didn't know this topic had been thoroughly rehashed already.  The knee-thing referred to arranging and recovering the gifts, etc, from under the tree...but Romans 14 was right in there too, along with the word "idol" above my Jeremiah quote.  We're just talkin; no one knows it all, yeah?

I guess I'm still curious just why we do what we do...but I wonder that about so many things.  Maybe you can fill me in on this one.  But hey - YOUR living room is none of my business, on Dec. 25 or any other day.  Loveya!