firestormx

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  589
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

I have a very smart mouth ( and personality ) that I fight constantly to keep under control. Read enough of my posts I'm sure you will see it. My favorite T-shirt to wear says " Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid " . I sometimes have trouble saying what I want to say without offending. I don't mean harm, ( most of the time). Things just come out wrong sometimes no matter how long I try to stop and think about what I am trying to say.

To my question then. I was reading an article about a minister who was suspended by his church for marrying his gay son. In the comment section was a lot of venomous speech from both sides. It got me wondering.

How do you talk about Homosexuality? be it in person or online? In our everyday life, how do we speak the truth in love, never condoning sin on this issue? There are so many arguments used. What do you say to them? By our love we are suppose to be known as followers of Christ. ( I believe ) homosexuality is a sin, but if you say anything about it, then your a homophobe and a hater. How do you discuss this properly in real life and stay biblical without offending? Why is this so important to me, you may ask. I strive in Jesus to live this verse as much as possible in Christ. 

James 3:2

For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.

Thanks in advance to all who respond and may God Bless you all

Firestormx

Joseph

Excellent question, not only because the topic is interesting but there is a practical aspect to it (not just talk).

I for one have a pet peeve, and I have said this elsewhere.

Most discussions regarding homosexuality begin immediately with the verses condemning it; and most simply end there.  Knowing what Scripture says about the matter should be enough (the tactic suggests).

Where I think we fail as conservative Christians is that we rarely point out that these injunctions are for our good.  That the homosexual life cannot be fulfilling.  I believe this in part on faith (i.e. the Bible and inferences from Nature......sex does seem intended for reproduction) and also from reports of others, and I value highly those given by homosexuals themselves.

Thus the injunctions are there not because God does NOT love homosexuals; they are there precisely because HE DOES love homosexuals.  A parent doesn't spank a child for running into the street because she despises the child; she applies this punishment because she cherishes the child.  Before any talk about my views on homosexuality, I open with something like this first, and then go on to demonstrate the Bible's position.

clb

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I have a very smart mouth ( and personality ) that I fight constantly to keep under control. Read enough of my posts I'm sure you will see it. My favorite T-shirt to wear says " Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid " . I sometimes have trouble saying what I want to say without offending. I don't mean harm, ( most of the time). Things just come out wrong sometimes no matter how long I try to stop and think about what I am trying to say.

To my question then. I was reading an article about a minister who was suspended by his church for marrying his gay son. In the comment section was a lot of venomous speech from both sides. It got me wondering.

How do you talk about Homosexuality? be it in person or online? In our everyday life, how do we speak the truth in love, never condoning sin on this issue? There are so many arguments used. What do you say to them? By our love we are suppose to be known as followers of Christ. ( I believe ) homosexuality is a sin, but if you say anything about it, then your a homophobe and a hater. How do you discuss this properly in real life and stay biblical without offending? Why is this so important to me, you may ask. I strive in Jesus to live this verse as much as possible in Christ. 

For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.

Firestormx

Joseph

Excellent question, not only because the topic is interesting but there is a practical aspect to it (not just talk).

Most discussions regarding homosexuality begin immediately with the verses condemning it; and most simply end there.  Knowing what Scripture says about the matter should be enough (the tactic suggests).

Where I think we fail as conservative Christians is that we rarely point out that these injunctions are for our good.  That the homosexual life cannot be fulfilling.  I believe this in part on faith (i.e. the Bible and inferences from Nature......sex does seem intended for reproduction) and also from reports of others, and I value highly those given by homosexuals themselves.

Thus the injunctions are there not because God does NOT love homosexuals; they are there precisely because HE DOES love homosexuals.  A parent doesn't spank a child for running into the street because she despises the child; she applies this punishment because she cherishes the child.  Before any talk about my views on homosexuality, I open with something like this first, and then go on to demonstrate the Bible's position.

clb

I don't think anyone is suggesting that God hates homosexuals. He hates homosexuality, as He does all sin.

There's a difference.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  02/27/1984

That's all part of the movement.  They are very intolerant with their ideas of tolerance. It seems like today it's okay to be anything and everything except a Christian because if you don't accept homosexuality then you're "on the wrong side of history", a "bigot", "hater", etc.  I put those in quotes because I've been called all of them because I don't just bow down to their way.  I don't have to accept homosexuality just because they are 'loud and proud'. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

That's all part of the movement.  They are very intolerant with their ideas of tolerance. It seems like today it's okay to be anything and everything except a Christian because if you don't accept homosexuality then you're "on the wrong side of history", a "bigot", "hater", etc.  I put those in quotes because I've been called all of them because I don't just bow down to their way.  I don't have to accept homosexuality just because they are 'loud and proud'. 

No, but you are called to Love them.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not targetting homosexuals any more. Their sin is between them and God. Sure, I'll preach the truth to them, but I am in no position to judge them. Let God do that. He may forgive them for all I know.

Homosexuality has existed for centuries, nay millennia. The biggest crime against God (IMHO) is when homosexuality is preached to be okay, when it is considered no longer a sin and when society accepts it as not being a sin. The biggest perpetrators may not even be homosexual themselves, but they spread the lie because they want to corrupt God's word and destroy family values.

This is where sin crosses over into iniquity.

20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Isaiah 5

This is the real sign of our times - when men promote homosexuality as a virtue. When they want to introduce homosexual marriage, homosexual education in schools and adoption for homosexual couples. This is the real crime. I cannot judge a thief, or a liar, so how can I judge a homosexual? I cannot judge a murderer or a mocker or a philanderer, so how can I judge somebody with a different sexual preference to mine? Homosexuality is an mental illness.

I detest the words of the man who lies about homosexuality, the man who claims that homosexuality is normal and is a natural variation, and who corrupts the truth.

These are the words of the liar. Homosexuality is an abomination to the Lord, but homosexuals are not. They need saving, sure, but their crimes are tiny compared to the man who corrupts others with his false words.

there has been people that have been Homosexuals but has turned from that to never go down that road again, so they chose to do homosexuals acts then they chose not to. you can not chose to have a mental illness or not to have a mental illness, that is just a self justification for the sin, Just as men has said before God told me to leave my wife, and commit adultery with another women. YEAH RIGHT!!!!!

After your somewhat aggressive response - I think you missed the entire point of what I was talking about.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

I work with many gays.I do not shun them but many look down their noses at them.They have even come up to me and given me a hug.God loves them.I do not adhere to their lifestyle nor would I have one of them as my best friend.I do not argue the fact that their lifestyle is a sin.I just let it go.

That is the worst thing you can do for them.  Don't just let it go.  You need to share the truth with them.  The most unloving, unChristlike thing we can do is let people simply walk down the road to destruction without trying warn them and reach out to them.

Are you kidding me.I would be fired so fast it would make my head spin.Do you work among the gay?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  589
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Firestormx

Joseph

clb

I don't think anyone is suggesting that God hates homosexuals. He hates homosexuality, as He does all sin.

There's a difference.

I recognize the difference; and I wasn't accusing.

You asked (if I remember, but perhaps I misread) for a very practical response to the issue.

My response is that we don't often enough emphasize the point that the injunctions are for their good.  We just bombard people with a bunch of quotes.

If you doubt that, take a look at other posts regarding this same issue.

clb

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  6

I work with many gays.I do not shun them but many look down their noses at them.They have even come up to me and given me a hug.God loves them.I do not adhere to their lifestyle nor would I have one of them as my best friend.I do not argue the fact that their lifestyle is a sin.I just let it go.

That is the worst thing you can do for them.  Don't just let it go.  You need to share the truth with them.  The most unloving, unChristlike thing we can do is let people simply walk down the road to destruction without trying warn them and reach out to them.

Are you kidding me.I would be fired so fast it would make my head spin.Do you work among the gay?

Stay the course here bopeep. We can witness with other ways than our words. Besides, I'm sure gays know what the word says. Unless these gays name the name of Jesus and you have standing in their life, I do not believe bible thumping is the best approach to witness to them. I'm sure You know the other methods to show and witness to them the love of Christ and I'm sure you are good at it.

For instance, in this example you cited: you are kind to them while others are not. I'm sure they are processing that you love Jesus and you are showing kindness to them. This is a GOOD witness for Christ because he is love.

If you get close enough and the conversation comes up and they ask you some questions.....I'm sure you are prepared to give them the answer in love.

In love,

Spock

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,387
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Stay the course here bopeep. We can witness with other ways than our words. Besides, I'm sure gays know what the word says. Unless these gays name the name of Jesus and you have standing in their life, I do not believe bible thumping is the best approach to witness to them. I'm sure You know the other methods to show and witness to them the love of Christ and I'm sure you are good at it.

For instance, in this example you cited: you are kind to them while others are not. I'm sure they are processing that you love Jesus and you are showing kindness to them. This is a GOOD witness for Christ because he is love.

If you get close enough and the conversation comes up and they ask you some questions.....I'm sure you are prepared to give them the answer in love.

In love,

Spock

Yes in that same love He (The Lord Jesus) will put them into eternal torment

if they don't repent of their ways and turn to Him for forgiveness... As you have said

God 'IS' Love and hell awaits for the unrepentant sinner! Love, Steven

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  02/27/1984

To love someone doesn't mean I have to accept their behavior or condone their sin.  In fact, by definition of true love, you would want to warn someone about the consequences of their sin.  They want us to just shut up about it and accept it or else we're bigots.