IGNORED

A vital question: How to identify a person is a Christian?

silviawang

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

I'd have a difficult time thinking you could just tell. There are pretty loving and kind people who are atheists and then there are people who are not obviously that way who are sincere believers. Moreover, suppose you have a new believer, sincere, but comes out of a 'rough' spot so 'progress' in becoming Christlike for them may not be so obvious from someone who grew up in a Christian family in a Christian community. And, even when it comes to testimonies, I can attest from my personal experience I have not 'sounded Christian' to some people even though I have been a sincere believer trying to communicate. All that is to say I think it can actually get a bit complicated.

You seem to side for the athiest quite often.Why is that?Are you a Christian??

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

I'd have a difficult time thinking you could just tell. There are pretty loving and kind people who are atheists and then there are people who are not obviously that way who are sincere believers. Moreover, suppose you have a new believer, sincere, but comes out of a 'rough' spot so 'progress' in becoming Christlike for them may not be so obvious from someone who grew up in a Christian family in a Christian community. And, even when it comes to testimonies, I can attest from my personal experience I have not 'sounded Christian' to some people even though I have been a sincere believer trying to communicate. All that is to say I think it can actually get a bit complicated.

I side with the atheists quite often because I come from a secular family and up until 1 yr and a few months ago I was an atheist myself. I am friends with atheist/agnostic types, my parents are atheist/agnostic types and so on. Defending them, to a certain extent, comes pretty naturally to me hopefully for obvious reasons. The fact is that I know the people I am talking about when I type this stuff out. Asking if I am a Christian at this point is kind of insulting bopeep.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,342
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

For me, I know if someone is a Christian by How they Treat Others, By their Actions, etc!!! So Mostly, my answer is kind of like what you guys said!!! :) But I totally agree with you all!!

God bless you all!!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? James 2:20

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

I watch what they say and what they do.Their actions.How they treat people.

Me too.  A true Christian stumbles and makes mistakes but then recognizes their failings and repents of them.  They will also accept guidance from other believers without taking offense.  I learned these things the hard way. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/29/1971

You know them by their fruits...  There's many times I just know somebody is a Christian before they've even said a word to me.  There's also been times people have asked me 'What is it about you?' 'You seem happy- or there's just something about you.'  They obviously are feeling the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 5:21-24

Amplified Bible (AMP)

21 Envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you beforehand, just as I did previously, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,

23 Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [[a]that can bring a charge].

24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus (the Messiah) have crucified the flesh (the godless human nature) with its passions and appetites and desires.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

My understanding of how to identify a person is a Christian

1-      totally understanding his sinful nature and un- righteousness , surrender himself to GOD, knowing that only through the blood of JESUS, he can be accepted by GOD. has the clear mind that as the heaven is higher than the earth, GOD is higher than the humanbeing, as the humanbeing ,we have nothing to boast.

2-      Trust GOD,believe GOD,has the faith just as Abraham, this is vital, from cover to cover, what BIBLE says is trust GOD ,trust GOD, and trust GOD,the very begging of monotheism is Abrahams faith, and we are justification by faith and by faith only.

3-      Devote himself to serve GOD,I am not mean to be the pastor, y can serve GOD in every calling, obey GOD, acting according to BIBLE, does not turn to left and turn to right.

4-      Meditate upon GODs word day and night,try best to understating GODs way ,for example:how a loving father send his be-loved son to the cross? Why a mercy GOD commended the Israelites launching the massacre again and again on the way leading to promise land? Why the subject of OT is law? Why the subject of OT is faith? why JESUS is the only why to avoid GODs wrath?........and so on----------all these ,are related to love, GODs love is not simple love, the essence of love is far more than help the poor and love y neighbor---Moses even commended the Israelites to kill their wife, friend, brother when they were be found worshipped other gods,so to understand GOD in BIBLE way,is the most important to a Christian

and ,maybe there need some miracles,to perform miracle was GOD's way to cfm a apostle in NT

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Bearing  fruits are a process of true Christians. But the meter is often misleading. Some who have met Christ over a long period would bear much fruit. But someone who has just met Christ, still being milk fed, most likely that person would still struggle with earthly sins and bad habits which takes time to clean. So here is my take.

Instead of putting someone on the 10 commandment list, which no one would ever measure up;

I would see how the person is transformed over a period of time. There are those that became Christians for only a few short years that exhibit more Christlike behaviors more than those of a lifetime believer.

• Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  493
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

I side with the atheists quite often because I come from a secular family and up until 1 yr and a few months ago I was an atheist myself. I am friends with atheist/agnostic types, my parents are atheist/agnostic types and so on. Defending them, to a certain extent, comes pretty naturally to me hopefully for obvious reasons. The fact is that I know the people I am talking about when I type this stuff out. Asking if I am a Christian at this point is kind of insulting bopeep.

I myself believe that we ought to really understand unbelievers, to better lead them to the Lord, and even defend them if necessary -- to a certain extent, as you say -- especially if they have legitimate reasons for their unbelief. Like their many complaints against the Church, which are, for the most part, true....

And so I am glad that you understand atheists and agnostics. Who better to lead them to Jesus Christ than someone who had been like them, and who truly knows what their lives are like?

In response to your first post, I understand you also. Good and loving people are not necessarily Christians, and Christians are not necessarily good and loving people. But the "good fruits" I've talked about earlier in this thread -- which is to be one of our bases for identifying true followers of Jesus -- go beyond being good and loving, for these fruits came from the Life of Jesus Christ within us, and they simply can never be duplicated by those who do not believe. Jesus said:

I am the true vine and my Father is the vinedresser.... Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:1,4-5, ESV)

And I also agree with what you said about a new believer who has come out of a "rough spot" having a difficult time showing progress in maturity.... And so, yes, measuring him or her against this standard doesn't YET apply.

• Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  493
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Bearing fruits are a process of true Christians. But the meter is often misleading. Some who have met Christ over a long period would bear much fruit. But someone who has just met Christ, still being milk fed, most likely that person would still struggle with earthly sins and bad habits which takes time to clean. So here is my take.

Instead of putting someone on the 10 commandment list, which no one would ever measure up;

I would see how the person is transformed over a period of time. There are those that became Christians for only a few short years that exhibit more Christlike behaviors more than those of a lifetime believer.

Bearing good fruits is not the only meter, and of course, it doesn't apply to every situation, say, to new believers.