• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Who is Sin?

Answer that and the rest will become clearer.

This I find to be a strange question gdemoss.

Who do you personally think Sin is?

Sin is "things" we do that are wrong and that list is "endless" in terms of wrong-doing. Because the imagination of man's heart is on evil continually and mankind will continue to invent evil things to do and engage in that are sinful.

If you have an answer to make things clearer or that would make or shed light on the topic of the thread. Then why hide it as if it is some mystery. Mysteries are made to be revealed or made known espeicially truth. I just don't understand your comments that you've made here is all.

Sin is not a person. But if you have scripture hey I'm open and curious.

Sin is personified in scripture. Genesis chapter 4.

People usually dismiss the various personifications in scripture through some methodology or another which is their perrogative. I do not.

First, thank you for expounding and giving me more to go on instead of just tid bits at least I have something to think about and consider. However

you slice it sin can only be carried out and manifested in a person's life, only if they succume or yield themselves to the temptations of sin by Satan. A person doesn't become sin because they commit sin they become guilty of sin instead and a servant of sin.

And if all mysteries are made to be revealed then why is it that there are still mysteries?

Simply because all things haven't been revealed yet but all will be one day. Until then we learn from one another and if someone has truth or an answer revealed to them then why play games so to speak and hide it because it will enlighten us in understanding. That's the only reason I asked. And what I understand of your opinion on the topic of smoking is that you believe that tobacco in and of itself shouldn't be abused by a person. But you had no answer to what the intended purpose of why God created tobacco for. So therefore you don't really know if those who smoke are using tobacco in the right way that God intended tobacco to be used for. This is all I gleaned from your reply. Thanks again for opening up.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Who is Sin?

Answer that and the rest will become clearer.

This I find to be a strange question gdemoss.

Who do you personally think Sin is?

Sin is "things" we do that are wrong and that list is "endless" in terms of wrong-doing. Because the imagination of man's heart is on evil continually and mankind will continue to invent evil things to do and engage in that are sinful.

If you have an answer to make things clearer or that would make or shed light on the topic of the thread. Then why hide it as if it is some mystery. Mysteries are made to be revealed or made known espeicially truth. I just don't understand your comments that you've made here is all.

Sin is not a person. But if you have scripture hey I'm open and curious.

Sin is personified in scripture. Genesis chapter 4.

People usually dismiss the various personifications in scripture through some methodology or another which is their perrogative. I do not.

First, thank you for expounding and giving me more to go on instead of just tid bits at least I have something to think about and consider. However

you slice it sin can only be carried out and manifested in a person's life, only if they succume or yield themselves to the temptations of sin by Satan. A person doesn't become sin because they commit sin they become guilty of sin instead and a servant of sin.

And if all mysteries are made to be revealed then why is it that there are still mysteries?

Simply because all things haven't been revealed yet but all will be one day. Until then we learn from one another and if someone has truth or an answer revealed to them then why play games so to speak and hide it because it will enlighten us in understanding. That's the only reason I asked. And what I understand of your opinion on the topic of smoking is that you believe that tobacco in and of itself shouldn't be abused by a person. But you had no answer to what the intended purpose of why God created tobacco for. So therefore you don't really know if those who smoke are using tobacco in the right way that God intended tobacco to be used for. This is all I gleaned from your reply. Thanks again for opening up.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/27/1994

The bible doesn't say it is a sin but.. The question we all as christiAns should always ask is "Would Jesus do it"? We are called to be like Christ, we are called to be Holy like God is holy. So if we know smoking is not good and Jesus wouldn't do it then why do it?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

what would Jesus do?

Joh 5:19
(19)  Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Jesus was led by God; so should we also be led by Him.  the issue isn't about what is a transgression of the law and what isn't; the issue is that we aren't smart enough to apply the whole of the law in any given situation - we must be led by Him, and when we are, sin is not an issue - because He will never lead us to sin.  

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

i appreciate your sharing that Butero; i believe it was from your heart.  i had a similar experience with the Lord, where i was in judgment of an activity others frequently indulge in that i didn't, and that i saw as a violation of scripture; a transgression of the law.  as a matter of fact, this has happened to me more times than i'd like to admit; so much so that i finally asked God how i would ever reach a point where i could instruct others in what actions are sinful.  His answer surprised me; He said 'when you are without sin'.  intellectually this was obvious as soon as i heard it; but yet i knew that i was supposed to correct my siblings in Christ as Paul told Timothy; so i finally asked the right question: how will i know when to correct someone Lord, if i myself am not perfect?  He said "you won't know, unless I specifically tell you to".

sin as in wrong actions has been paid for; sin as in unbelief has not been been paid for, and this is the sin unto death - because if you refuse to believe that Jesus paid the price for the sins of the whole world, then you can't receive the payment for your own sins.  the strength of sin is the law; so to draw someone's attention to a wrong action is to strengthen the lust for that wrong action in them, unless it is the result of God's leading.  we simply aren't qualified to judge specific sin (as in wrong actions), as we ourselves are never free from wrong actions (sin) in some area.  

God has made it clear that lying, stealing, murder, etc. is sin by including these things in the written word; for other things not so clear in the word, we must be led by God.  when we elevate our own judgment to be equally capable to judge sin in others as God's judgment is capable to do, we commit the sin of unbelief; therefore we should be careful to judge sin in others, especially when it's something not specifically dealt with in the law.  so to ask if smoking is sin  is to look to men for judgment instead of to God, it is error.  we should ask God for this clarification in each of our lives, and be careful to judge specific sin (as in wrong actions) in others only when we know God is leading us to do so; and not according to our own limited knowledge and understanding of the law.

Edited by disciplehelovestoo

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/08/1984

If so it's because it harms others, not oneself. Biblically fornication or sexual sin is the only sin against our bodies the temples of God. Thus secondhand smoke could be a sin but I'm not convinced private use would be.

1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
 19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Great question, just because there are so many Christians who still smoke. I am not one to judge or point fingers. But we are the body of the holy spirit. Anything unhealthy that we put in our body is hurting the body of the temple. So, that being said, there are many thing that are bad. Smoking, drinking, even if its on occasions, pray to the Lord to take that away from you. Overeating, living on pills ect ect all abd for the temple of the holy spirit.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Great question, just because there are so many Christians who still smoke. I am not one to judge or point fingers. But we are the body of the holy spirit. Anything unhealthy that we put in our body is hurting the body of the temple. So, that being said, there are many thing that are bad. Smoking, drinking, even if its on occasions, pray to the Lord to take that away from you. Overeating, living on pills ect ect all abd for the temple of the holy spirit.

I guess common sense is not so common.

If so it's because it harms others, not oneself. Biblically fornication or sexual sin is the only sin against our bodies the temples of God. Thus secondhand smoke could be a sin but I'm not convinced private use would be.

1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

So, would you conclude from this, that getting drunk or shooting heroin is onside of the body? Even if one allows the idea that there is harf to others from second hand smoke, there is no 'secondhand drunkeness. Of course, that is not to say that no one is ever harmed innocently in the after math of drunkeness, and that is also true in fornication - certain diseases, unwanted pregancies etc, are examples of consequences.

However, my real questions are in response to you post are: "Does it matter if it is toward ones own body or outside the body? Isn't sin still sin? Isn't all sin against the Lord in any case?

Guest Butero

I thought everyone was pretty much done with this thread.  Rather than try to write a new post on this subject, I just figured I would go back to my original response, as I have not changed my opinion, based on anything I have seen thus far.

To those of us who believe it is a sin, the reason is we believe it is destroying the temple of the Holy Ghost, our body.  It is defiling us.  God never designed the body to inhale smoke, and the dangers of cigarettes are widely known.  Others will claim that other things we do are just as destructive, but that is really irrelevant.  If they wish to make that claim, all they are doing is adding other ways you can defile or destroy your temple.  It is not a reasonable argument to say something like, "if you over eat you are harming your body or if you don't eat healthy food you are harming your body."  That doesn't make tobacco any more or less sinful.  It creates a new topic for discussion over whether or not it is sinful to eat unhealthy. 

To those who believe smoking tobacco is not a sin, it is really fairly simple.  They believe that defiling or destroying the temple means doing evil and has nothing to do with things like smoking.  You have to make your own decision whether or not to smoke, but my conscience wouldn't allow me to do so.