IGNORED

Why is obesity such a major problem in america?

Guest NH_Marine15

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  152
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I am english, and I am about 5 stone overweight, I let my weight creep up on me and I knew what was happening but I did'nt see that it was a big problem its only now I can see that if I don't do exercise and try and eat healthy then I will be in trouble sooner or later, but everyone has got something wrong with there bodies, no one has got the perfect body and just cos people get fat through whatever reasons don't make them a lesser person! Can I ask why you decided to post this thing about obesity?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Danielle, I just wanted to make the comment that diabetes is the result of being overweight, not the cause. :blink:

Guest Thomas I believe

I think some weight problems can't be helped they just happen. Although I weigh a little more than I did at 40 now at 44 I am 6'1" 195 and I eat like a horse but I am very active and I am an outdoors man so i get plenty of exercise. So, in a nutshell weight problems can be caused by medical conditions, metabolism and exercise etc.. Someday my cookies will catch up with me !! :blink::b:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.18
  • Days Won:  58

Danielle, I just wanted to make the comment that diabetes is the result of being overweight, not the cause. :blink:

That is not correct. Type 1 diabetes for example is not caused by being overweight.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I have found that people that make blanket statements like that, have nerver fought their weight. I have found a secret however that if you eat and eat the right foods you are going to loose weight. I have lost 35 pounds on Atkins in 3 months. I do have a problem however with a preacher who points a finger in someones face and tells them that things like smoking, durgs, drinking will harm them and aren't every good testimonies when that finger is attached to a body that is 50- 100 overweight. We have to be sensitive and listen with our hearts.

Edited by Rustyangel

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  09/04/1986

You know what?

I'd like to know how you or anyone just from a casual glance knows who can or cannot do much about their weight?

People have made comments to me such as: "If you'd give up the beer, you'd lose that gut." or "Shovin' yourself away from the table would cure that belly." Talk about being judgemental, overweight people are apparently the last acceptable prejudice in this nation. In fact I have found most "progressive thinkers" among us are the first to cast the stone at those who are overweight.

I take this back to the old sayin' of: "Don't criticize my gait until you've walked a mile in my shoes."

Like it or not obesity IS a problem amongst the America population. As others have posted, we are NOT talking about people with medical issues that prevent them from losing weight.

A few people have said how someone who makes a statement like why do people let themselves be overweight obviously has never struggled with their weight. Guess what? That's not true. I've struggled with my weight, because I am LAZY. I'm probably at least 10-15+ lbs overweight. <---- LAZINESSS (I admit it)

So many people are in denial about being lazy, or having a lack of self-control.

NH_Marine15 was not, I'm sure, referring to people who have medical conditions.

Yes, we need to be sensitive to people's weight issues, and we can't assume every person overweight lacks self-control, they could have a medical issue. NH_Marine15 was NOT personally attacking anyone here.

I also agree with what RustyAngel said. I DO have a problem with people (preachers, and others) who point the finger and complain about people smoking, drinking, drugs, etc aren't good testimonies. Because those things aren't, but neither is having a lack of self-control in any area.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,319
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I know people who can eat like a horse and not gain weight and others who can eat much less than normal that can't loose weight.

The weight industry is much like the TV Evangelist business, it is much more geared toward making money than the care of the public.

Some have lost weight on the Atkins diet and I personally know of two and have heard of many other that have messed up their health with this diet. The two I know nearly died from it.

Each of us is different and the way our bodies handle food intake is all different. No one should be running down anyone over their weight. We should be concerned about people for their own good, but I had a very close uncle that was 50 to 100 pounds overweight all his live and made it to his mid 80's and did very well with his health.

I am not sure what this thread is all about, but every time it comes up here there are some who really get their feelings downtrodden so I would ask everyone to be very careful of your posts here. We don't know each other well enough to get on the personal level of this discussion.

Guest Thomas I believe
I am not sure what this thread is all about, but every time it comes up here there are some who really get their feelings downtrodden so I would ask everyone to be very careful of your posts here. We don't know each other well enough to get on the personal level of this discussion.

Sam, I agree ! what we weigh or what we look like does'nt matter. We are all part of the Body of Him who made us.. Thats all that matters. These shells which our souls reside in are only temporary anyways. Any thread that would make another person feel degraded is not a thread that glorifies our Lord and God whom we serve..

Guest Gladiator4God

we live in a supersized world, food is shown to us around the clock inventions have made things easy so less hard work to do plus everything made is coated or enhanced with sugar, some of us are born with a defect every time our elbows bend our mouth flies open.......i know its up to us what we eat, there sure is alot of temptation out there too

Guest Gladiator4God
Why are so many americans struggling with their weight?  Why would anyone let themselves go like that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you can bet no one ever posed this question to me.....i consider this wording rude, there are many factors for being over weight depression for one genetics and a few others......if your skinny hey fine congrats just dont try and put others on the spot because there not.....besides if the world food supply was destroyed in a terrorist attack the skinny people die first! :blink: