Openly Curious

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Can a believer partake of sin (evil, iniquity, wrong doing, bad things, wickedness, unrighteousness) in moderation?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

No.

However, we will all sin to some extent because we are not perfect. There is no license given to sin even in moderation. Sin is sin.

Guest shiloh357

Can a believer partake of sin (evil, iniquity, wrong doing, bad things, wickedness, unrighteousness) in moderation?

Of course, not.    We are to flee from sin and we are called to live holy and pure lives.  There should be no room made for sin at all.  To partake in sin willingly shows that one is not a believer no matter what they say.   I John 3:9 says that those who practice sin (habitually) are not born of God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

uh....no.  Jesus tells us to sin not.  We all make mistakes but to sin on purpose is not going to fly.  We have God's grace in our lives as Christians but that does not give us a license to do whatever we want.

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

what is sin in moderation? what do you consider moderation? Is sleeping with your brothers wife once a year moderation, or only getting totally drunk on the holidays? See there in lies the problem. Your definiton of "moderation" is different then mine. So in order to be fair we have to use a global definition. Only thing is we have a global definition-the Bible. Romans 3:23 for ALL have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. So you see, according to the Bible-no sin is ok. Any sin, without Gods forgiveness, will seperate us from God. We are not perfect-but that doesn't make any sin ok.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

None of us in here can cast that first stone at sinners.  Or else we would be dodging stones all day long.  I goof up (sin) admittedly, and when I do, I fall back on the Christian bar of soap, just like my signature says.  The moderation issue sounds like a person sinning and not being sorry for it.  I am not in agreement with that at all.   

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Openly Curious,,,

Of course not ,,,,,this is a dangerous way of thinking & many do think this way,they are carnal minded & do not want to fully submit or commit to the Lord,,,,,,,I know this well because I have been there,this does not mean that the NEW convert is not saved but that they are holding onto some part of themselves,some type of reservations ......if they truly have received Christ they are willing to renew their minds & the Lord will begin a work in them where they will be convicted of the Holy Spirit & a transformation will take place,growing into that New Creature in Christ Jesus

Jesus says that IF we love Him we will obey His commands.....it is the Faith in Him ,in His finished work that leads us into all things new & wonderful.God is not a genie in a lamp ,"poof,you will sin no more"........we are given a clean slate by the Grace of God & IF we love the Lord & truly want him to be our Lord & Savior then we will have that willingness to resist temptation & he will help us.....it is simple for god to deliver us & he certainly is Able ,but we must STAY delivered ....the fruits should REMAIN!!!!!

The desire to sin in moderation,I think is worse than the believer that has some transgressions & fell into sin remorsefully.....it is a knowing & willful act of disobedience,,,,,,not of God & his Holy Spirit.If one is not a child of God they are a child of satan......no sitting on the fence,which side do you choose?                                                                                                   With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

That's an easy question. I tend to look at it like this. If the world invites you to a doggie dung slinging party and I want to remain clean I don't go there. Even non Christians would defer. Now if Christ has clothed you with His righteousness and they said they would only be slinging small amounts of the stuff that certainly wouldn't change my mind. I want no part of sin because I want my heart to purely belong to Christ in the new nature He has clothed me with. The Lord says be holy as I am Holy - I don't want to be emulating the world but Christ. We have to walk with a certain sense of wariness in order to avoid the sin that so easily besets us.

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us

So we crucify our old nature and feed it not.

Even going further the endearments of this world pale in comparison to the love of Christ who calls us deeper into the true riches of His heart. Like our brother Paul said:

Letter to the PhilippianChurch 3:7-9 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered theloss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

The Lord says be holy as I am Holy - I don't want to be emulating the world but Christ. We have to walk with a certain sense of wariness in order to avoid the sin that so easily besets us.

Living Before God Our Father

1 Peter 1:13-19 Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”

And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear; knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot

In Christ, Pat

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

No

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

The word partake assumes a deliberate choice and how does that work?  

First time I have ever come across such a question...

I'm hoping it is a theoretical question and at the same time thinking of some who may very well be exactly choosing which sin to participate in at a given moment...