fire-heart

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

i have run accross many ppl who say the king james bible is the true word of God, Why exactly is that?

Get more into the history of how the 1611 King James Bible came into existence compared to other later translations and you'll understand more of that.

Another thing is Holy Spirit markings in the KJV. To date, in English, no other Bible translation keeps as well to the accuracy from the manuscripts regarding the subject and object flow, which were manifested by The Holy Spirit when given the original writers to write under His unction. This is why even the NKJV reads differently in many places, because it gets somewhat away from that (and you thought all they did with the NKJV was change the thee's and thou's? No, there's parts left out in the NKJV that exist in the 1611 KJV).

I sometimes hear complaints about Bible students reading the 1611 KJV because subject repetitions occur often, especially in the OT. The same verse in a early part of a Bible chapter may often be repeated word for word in a later part of the chapter. That happens because of The Holy Spirit markings on subject and object flow within God's Word. It's a unique event in literature. Take a look at the 1800's Christian scholar E.W. Bullinger's KJV study Bible called The Companion Bible and you'll quickly see what I mean, because he put those outlined Holy Spirit markings in the side margins of the text.

Edited by Salty

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Actually in comparing the translations to the Greek, Hebrew, and Armaic the NASB or the ESV are versions that present the better word for word English translations:

image0021.jpg

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

I personally find the King James Bible to be error filled.  I don't believe this way, because of any study, but because the Holy Spirit has pointed out errors as I have read that translation.

Personally it does not make much difference to me what bible I read, because Jesus/Holy Spirit will give me the correct meaning of any verse.   

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,665
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  3

Actually in comparing the translations to the Greek, Hebrew, and Armaic the NASB or the ESV are versions that present the better word for word English translations:

image0021.jpg

That 'dream' chart sure is in error and completely misleading.

Some of those Bible versions were not even translated from the same set of Bible manuscripts!

So any kind of side-by-side comparison would be moot!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,171
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I personally find the King James Bible to be error filled.  I don't believe this way, because of any study, but because the Holy Spirit has pointed out errors as I have read that translation.

Personally it does not make much difference to me what bible I read, because Jesus/Holy Spirit will give me the correct meaning of any verse.

Wow and I thought The Holy Spirit gave us this responsibility:

2 Tim 2:15

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that

needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

KJV

As I understand it God gives me the responsibility to study and then upon that

obedience His Holy Spirit guides me into the truth that will never pass away...

Love, Steven

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

To fully understand the argument behind the translations, one has to dig deep into the textual context used in the translations.  Not many will venture deep enough to understand what form of textural criticism was used for which translation and why.  One has to realize that there are no original transcripts today, meaning that all transcripts had to be pieced back together using stringent guidelines

For starters, research what the follow are:

• Textus Receptus (received text)
  • Critical Text
  • Majority Text
  • Alexandrian Text
  • there are others ...

The above can also be approached by understanding the following:

• Codex Sinaiticus
  • Codex Vaticanus
  • Codex Alexandrinus
  • Codex Bezae

Perhaps an easy way to begin is to review the history given on this site:  Literary History of the Bible

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Bottom line is read a translation you are comfortable with . . . one the Holy Spirit leads you to. You'll know it when you find it -- but stay away from The Message - its a paraphrase, not a translation. There is a difference, and its important.www.biblegateway.com/ which has a drop down list of English and other language translations you can use for free. Its great for finding one you are comfortable with. 

It may be a paraphrase just like several other translations that are happily accepted by general christian community but it still can have a place and usefulness. Certainly be hesitant to form doctrine based on what it says but it can open up difficult to understand passages.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Bottom line is read a translation you are comfortable with . . . one the Holy Spirit leads you to. You'll know it when you find it -- but stay away from The Message - its a paraphrase, not a translation. There is a difference, and its important.www.biblegateway.com/ which has a drop down list of English and other language translations you can use for free. Its great for finding one you are comfortable with. 

It may be a paraphrase just like several other translations that are happily accepted by general christian community but it still can have a place and usefulness. Certainly be hesitant to form doctrine based on what it says but it can open up difficult to understand passages.

I could not disagree more.  The Message is chalked full of new age terminology and is very misleading in many areas.  Why even promote such garbage?  I would never call any paraphrased book scripture, not would I suggest anyone to read them.  Truth is truth and if anyone seeks the truth, point them to scripture.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

I read a good book years ago by James White about King James Onlyism.  I have attended a few churches where this idea is emphasized.  I do read occasionally out of the KJV.  It has a beauty and majesty similar to old cathedrals and it was and is a great translation.  I think people should be familiar with it at least, for it has enormous influence on our language and faith.  I do not think modern translations are inferior in general.  I like the NASB and New Century version as well.  I have memorized many KJV passages that I quote (to admonish and annoy my family, lol)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I could not disagree more.  The Message is chalked full of new age terminology and is very misleading in many areas.  Why even promote such garbage?  I would never call any paraphrased book scripture, not would I suggest anyone to read them.  Truth is truth and if anyone seeks the truth, point them to scripture.

Well if your that against paraphrases shouldn't you have warned the OP about the poaraphrases on bible gateway when you suggested the site? If we leave out the message then we see that other paraphrases are accepted as valid bible versions by the majority of christians. Guess it just doesn't make sense to me to just write it off. It always takes time for translations/paraphrases to be accepted much like anything. Even dictionaries and encyclopedias with excellent reputations took time to be accepted as authoritive. The Guiness book of records was first released by an alcholic beverage company but became accepted over time but still had to change after that to be what it is today.