IGNORED

Can participation in a local church be contrary to th Christian faith?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I guess I have a different perception to many as to what church is. Sunday services are a part of church, but they are not all of church.

We meet on a regular basis, just as friends might, some planned, many not. It's like family, centered around a love of Jesus.

For instance this week: today a spontaneous get together of some of the women for my wife's birthday, tonight a prayer meeting, tomorrow night a leaders meeting and a meal, Thursday night a barbecue that we arranged at church last Sunday, just because we want to hang out together.  Saturday, someone may phone and say let's have coffee.

Like I said, church is so much more than a Sunday service.

Good examples brother! :thumbsup:

I agree.

I guess I have a different perception to many as to what church is. Sunday services are a part of church, but they are not all of church.

We meet on a regular basis, just as friends might, some planned, many not. It's like family, centered around a love of Jesus.

For instance this week: today a spontaneous get together of some of the women for my wife's birthday, tonight a prayer meeting, tomorrow night a leaders meeting and a meal, Thursday night a barbecue that we arranged at church last Sunday, just because we want to hang out together.  Saturday, someone may phone and say let's have coffee.

Like I said, church is so much more than a Sunday service.

Church used to be like that here in the US. Its not any more, for the most part. (Everyone else's mileage may vary, but this is my personal experience in the US.)

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Matthew 18:20 comes to mind.

For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.

Being in Him does not require a specific building at a specific time, it means living in Christ 24/7/365/6. That is the church, as we all, who are His, continue to work together to do His will. If I am walking with a brother or sister, Christ is there. If I have a coffee with someone in His body, He is there. Man has placed God in the physical box of a building, trying to place a requirement on Christians that if you are His, you will be there. If you are not, than you are in question.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Matthew 18:20 comes to mind.

For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.

Being in Him does not require a specific building at a specific time, it means living in Christ 24/7/365/6. That is the church, as we all, who are His, continue to work together to do His will. If I am walking with a brother or sister, Christ is there. If I have a coffee with someone in His body, He is there. Man has placed God in the physical box of a building, trying to place a requirement on Christians that if you are His, you will be there. If you are not, than you are in question.

I agree with what you say brother.

Doesn't the passage you quoted though have more to do with Church discipline?

Matt. 5:15-20

If Your Brother Sins Against You

15 “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 19 Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”

God bless,

GE

Guest Geoff Primanti

Hebrews 10:24-25 comes to mind.

But I would say that in today's world a man can exhort and be exhorted as this passage commands without being in the physical presence of people in a church building; while certain ministries of the body of Christ are primarily done through physical presence such as the laying on of hands which is said to be completely basic to the faith in Hebrews 6:1-2 while I don't see very many churches practicing it: the only church I have ever seen that does so is The Mountain which began in South Carolina and is spreading to other states, formerly called Mountain of Worship.

Edited by Geoff Primanti

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

But I would say that in today's world a man can exhort and be exhorted as this passage commands without being in the physical presence of people in a church building; while certain ministries of the body of Christ are primarily done through physical presence such as the laying on of hands which is said to be completely basic to the faith in Hebrews 6:1-2 while I don't see very many churches practicing it: the only church I have ever seen that does so is The Mountain which began in South Carolina and is spreading to other states, formerly called Mountain of Worship.

My church lays hands and the elders pray for healing when healing is needed. We anoint with oil at times as well.

Guest Geoff Primanti

My church lays hands and the elders pray for healing when healing is needed. We anoint with oil at times as well.

Awesome.  What about for the impartation of spiritual gifts?

A church is a house of worship.

A club is a place to have fun and picnics. 

If a church keep you bogged down on the milk, and has become pools of water. 

Come out quickly,she is holding you back spiritually. Pools of water do stagnate.

Go and study at home and ask the Hs to guide you.

Worthy christians is a good place to find the answers. 

Many churches have become pools of water,that dont flow.

The HS is flowing spititual water. Knowledge must increase in time.

Everyone according to his time spend,in seeking the scriptures.

jesse.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  153
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

It's necessary as a Christian to gather/fellowship with other Christians.

Hebrews 10:25King James Version (KJV) 25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Golden Eagle...

A month ago I probably would have said that participation at my church could not possibly be contrary to the Christian faith,but today ......I am saying yes,,,,,yes church gatherings can even be all smoke & mirrors....a place to praise & worship with others & that is always good but as the Body of Christ

Well,let me just say that the Body of Christ,which is "the Church" is comprised of individuals that work together effectively & function to serve & extol each other..........we here at Worthy are the Body of Christ,serving in this Ministry & united by our faith in the knowledge of our Lord & Savior Christ Jesus.....we build each other up,we  love one another & want to be there for each other ,we reason together,we spread the Gospel to others ,we extol each other,we Glorify God & speak to each other in Psalms & hymns & Spiritual songs.......24/7....not one day a week,it is the mind ,heart & souls of each of us that are on one accord with the others & Christ is our Head........we gather most everyday....

I can be standing in line at the supermarket & realize I am short a dollar & the gal behind me says."Oh here,I have a dollar" & I say "thank You praise the Lord"....she responds "Amen my Sister"& in the parking lot we praise God for over 20 minutes & we know we are part of that same Body.....It is having the Heart & Mind of Christ as we walk in Spirit & in Truth..............it is all about LOVE,before you know it my supermarket aquaintence & I are handing out tracks together the next weekend & we are sisters for the rest of eternity!!!!!!

You see,over a month ago I went to my Pastor & my Sisters in church to tell them that July 18th I was having foot surgery & I would not be able to teach Bible Study on my assigned days & to request help at my house because I live alone ,have no family near & I will be unable to walk at all the first week (strictly bed)& the 2nd & third week will be minimal walking also(,allowed 5 minutes,10 times a day)no weight bearing down(10-12 weeks recovery)/........Pastor & the ladies assured me I would have all the help I need,long story short,no one came....I was alone,me & Jesus.....it is now the 4th week ,the worst over ,thanks be to God!

My point is,where was the love?the leg was literally by itself ,there was no foot to carry it,the arms  & hands & hips and ears & lips all were elsewhere but they did not help the leg to function ,,,,my church had no body parts to come to the aid of the leg,not one......I would say that is completely contrary to the Christian Faith....there is more to life than Sundays & Wednesdays ......can you imagine ,out of about 3oo people ,not one person from my church cared enough to help me out?Needless to say,I do not want to be part of a congregation that only loves me 2 days a week....my old church is where I will praise & worship....You're right GE,the thumb cannot survive on its own & thank God I do have a couple of Sisters in Christ that are part of the Body of Christ and it has nothing to do with church....sure,you will find some members of Christ Body that are His church ,at church ....I think you know what I am saying. I was greatly disappointed,saddened but my eyes were really opened.....they are not serving God,they are serving themselves,by themselves....hooting ,hollering,singing & having youth activities is not Christ church. I never thought there would be so many hypocrites under one roof,WOW

Anyway,this does not leave me with a bad taste for attending a house of prayer & worship,fellowshipping or serving as I can....but it sure does make me take a closer look .                                                                                                                                         With love-inChrist,Kwik