Sign in to follow this  
AuroraAngels7

Need assistance with discernment...

Hello,

I have an uncle who was brainwashed back in the 70's and moved his family (wife + 5 daughters) into a communal-type of housing facility. He was brutally abusive to his wife and daughters - cruel. She divorced him, he remarried an impressionable young woman who had two boys and he did many inhuman, depraved and cruel things to them as well - all abuse he justified with passages from the bible and by staying close to those who believe exactly what he believes. He went to prison for 15+ years for what he did to the two boys and when he was released, went to live with his mother until he could get back on his feet. Not once did he take responsibility for his actions. He only spoke of prison as "getting sent up river" or "those people who sent me to prison." Always used terms that did not describe the horror he put his families through. One day he made demands of my grandmother and locked himself in his room. Since Grandma is 83 years old my mother went to help and my uncle ended up walking out, quitting his job and we haven't heard from him since. That was over a year ago. What he left behind is why I'm here. The boxes of paperwork he hoarded contained all kinds of references to Wigglesworth, Bonhke and a few other pastors' name I can't recall. He wrote letters while in prison asking for information on these people and was turned down at every request. From what I've been able to find, these two were part of an Evangelistic movement in the early 20th century. But I've found links to reports of abuses of power and possible other crimes associated with at least Wigglesworth and Bonhke. My uncle ignored the court's suggestion that he seek psychiatric help when he was released from prison. In his papers we found his medical records and he was indeed troubled. When he was living with my grandmother, he told my mother that Wigglesworth, Bonhke and the other pastors were second apostles and it was his (my uncle's) job to find the next generation of apostles. This makes me REALLY suspicious of anything written by these people, but curious as to whether my uncle's obsession with them was because of his untreated mental illness or are they actually cult leaders who did bad things but hid their deeds with words about the Lord? If I had to go with my gut, I would avoid anything to do with them, but I'm still curious to find out more about them and what they did - whether it was a lot of good or a lot of damage.

Anything you can tell me would be helpful. Thank you!

Even though this is your first post, what you for advice would be hard to find in a forum where every post must be approved - Seekers Lounge.  I moved your question here so others can reply.

God Bless.

Welcome~!

~

Anything you can tell me would be helpful....

:thumbsup:

Trust

Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5

In The LORD

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. Jeremiah 17:7

You may be referring to the Reverend Michael Wigglesworth? Possibly the wigglesworth diaries? Not sure but sounds like this is possible. You are in my prayers. Some things are better to let go. God bless.

Smith Wigglesworth was one of the early leaders of the Pentecostal movement. I have never heard anything negative about him. Bonked is not familiar to me tho the name is..

Smith Wigglesworth was called the "apostle of faith" by some people. He seems to have been a simple man who believed God's word, and many were saved through his ministry as an evangelist. I don't recall hearing anything bad about him but it has been many years since I have heard the name. Your uncle seems to be delusional if he is seeking some new apostle. We don't believe that there are true apostles today.

Unfortunately, there are cults that promote some pretty sickening things, and there are abusive people who use the Bible like a weapon to justify themselves. I have known of a couple as well.

I have no idea who the other guy is that you mentioned.

Discernment is truly one of God's choicest gifts.  I would recommend finding someone that has it and trust their gift.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Behold
      The end result of salvation, is, that you are accepted by God. =  Heaven is gained.
      Salvation, Grace, the Blood Atonement, (same)  is the sole and singular method and entire means that God uses and provides, to accept you, and keep you as His, forever.
      Some, who are very self righteous, have the misconception that God saves them, and then they keep themselves saved.  (Legalism).
      Of course  all religion including Christian heretics would argue that man has some part in saving themselves..... But how can this be so?   After all, what can you possibly offer God that would compete with or equal the Shed Blood of Jesus?
      If you are saved, you came to the Cross a sinner, and from the Cross Jesus Himself redeemed you.   And your part in that is what?    What is it?   To RECEIVE WHAT GOD has provided for you thru the Cross, is your part.
      But what about living holy later?  Well, that is what comes later, AFTER what SAVED YOU< Saved you FIRST.
      See it?
      God did it, you get it, and you dont get any credit for it, unless you have nail holes in your wrists and rose from the dead after dying for the sin of the world.
      Is that you?   No.   There is only One.
      So, some who are very self righteous, have the idea that after Jesus's blood ALONE has redeemed them, then their  "holy lifestyle" kicks in as THEIR 2nd part of God's salvation plan.  And of course, think......= if God didnt accept you or your lifestyle before He saved you, do you think He will accept your lifestyle later, along with the Blood of Jesus to save you and keep you saved?
      Funny how people can be so religious and so self righteous and try to take some of the credit for their salvation, instead of giving God and Christ all the credit for what they did, and they did, only.
      So what is it exactly that God did to save us and keep us saved?  What is another way to look at Redemption, as there are many, and i'll offer you one now....
      Well, to find an answer, you have to know the problem, first..   And so, what is the only problem that an unsaved human being has, that is keeping God from accepting them and taking them into His family? 
      Its only one problem    = Sin.    This little word has great implication into eternity, as if this word, .. if what it means regarding each and everyone is not dealt with while you are breathing, then you will be dealing with the end result from the day you die until .............   Never ends.   John 3:36 is the  current situation facing every person who is not a believer in Christ and has NOT been born again.     And God is not Joking.  Look at the shed blood on the Cross and realize how serious God is about sin and the consequences of unforgiven sin, in eternity.   Reader, if you are not saved then ......understand this.....Your SIN, cost Jesus His sinless life, and if you do not come to the Cross, then your sin is going to cost you your eternity, and there will be no second chance after you are dead.  Christ died on the EARTH, and you take Him as your own savior on the EARTH, or not..   You do not get a redo, or a "take 2",  after you die, and realize then the TRUTH, that im telling you right now.   
      Really.
      So, what did God do for you, that resolves your sin issue, and mine, so that He can accept us, on HIS TERMS< and keep us,  based on HIS FINAL SOLUTION> ?
      Very simple.  He , God, is merciful to our UNRIGHTEOUSNESS, AND THEREFOR..... OUR SIN ONCE FORGIVEN at the CROSS, HE WILL REMEMBER NO MORE.   For the born again, Its as if we never sinned.  And this position "in Christ" continues from the moment of our new birth, until forever., as that is the effect of eternal justification that is given as the "free gift of salvation", "the gift of Righteousness", that is created and kept by the Blood Atonement.
      Hebrews 8:12
      God deals with our unrighteousness, our sin, by Jesus becoming sin on the cross and taking the judgement for it all.  Our entire lifetime of sinning, the eternal judgement due each of us for this....=  This is the "cup" that Jesus spoke about that He was about to face.  = The whipping and then the Cross and Death.
      This is HOW God dealt with the unrighteousness of the entire world.  He died for it.   John 3:16   And this Death, is the mercy and grace of God giving righteousness in place of our unrighteousness.
      This is Salvation.
      This is Grace.
      This is the "Gift of Righteousness", and we dont earn it, and we dont keep it, as it is given and kept by the same Holy One who provided it, for free.
      Philippians 1:6
    • By Behold
      Gospel : Paul teaching = "preaching of the Cross". "we preach Christ Crucified"..."Jesus sent me not to baptize but to preach the Gospel".."faith comes by hearing this".....

So, all that, if believed by an unbeliever resolves an eternal issue......
      What is the issue?
      What is God's purpose for coming to earth to die as Jesus The Christ on a Cross?
      What is He doing?...What is He alone solving, that all our 10 commandment keeping and holy lifestyle can never solve, which is WHY HE had to solve it? ?
      And right here is what is so often misunderstood, or not taught correctly, and this is why so many people who mean well, and love Jesus, or would like to love him, do not understand <>WHAT IS<> the actual reason that God came here to die.

So what is that reason?
      The reason, is that keeping the law, the 10 commandments, and doing good works, confessing sin, and living as holy as we can, could not make us acceptable to God..
      And here is the "catch 22".... It also can't AFTER you are saved.
      And right here is where "Legalism vs Grace" becomes the touchstone of constant fighting on forums, and everywhere else that it can show up where believers WILL clash.
      (Apparently this clash became such a long standing fight and fury on this forum that members here are barred from posting- fighting about it.)

It is a fact and statement of the CROSS that the law and the 10 Commandments can't make you righteous, they can only show you that you are unrighteous., as that is the actual purpose of the Law, as well as outlining what God expects regarding our basic moral conduct & behavior, once we are born again.
      So, how can it be that half the body of Christ is trying to keep all this, all these works, and they believe that this is "keeping them saved".
      Whereas the other half of the body of Christ is trusting in Jesus to keep them saved.
      So, do you see the line in the sand?
      Its this " What is keeping you SAVED"....that is the minefield of theological confusion.
      THATS the fight.
      Legalism vs Grace.
      Its happening on every forum like this one, and its the reason for 5000 denominations that don't agree, and 300 bibles that don't agree.
      This issue started with Paul and his preaching of "justification by Faith" >alone, and he wrote the letter to the Galatians that talks about it, and explains it.
      2000 yrs later, this issue of Legalism vs Grace is still a fist fight between "Christians".
      Here on this forum, apparently they outlawed the battle. 

Isn't it interesting to realize that if the 10 commandments, or lawkeeping, or living holy, could save you or keep you saved, if that were the truth, then Jesus could have stayed in Heaven and saved Himself some PAIN.....
      But ita not the case.
      Now im not certain what you have been taught, but i teach that you "present your body a living sacrifice" and you to "live holy as God is holy", not to save yourself or keep yourself saved, but because this is what you should do, and what God expects, .. because you ARE saved.
      The Legalist would argue that .."no, you do it to stay saved", and if you don't then you're not.
      I wonder, reader, what you believe.
      However, keep it to yourself, as this is between you and God, tho make sure you get it right, as if you get it wrong and you are teaching it, then Galatians 1:8 has become quite a literal issue for you.

So, leaving all that now, lets just look at the problem that God had to come here and solve for us, as to look at this, is to understand the reason for Salvation which is to understand Salvation.
      Our problem we had, before we were saved, is only one thing, one issue only. And God Himself had to solve it, because we can't.
      We are born, and we get older, and we don't have any righteousness.
      None.
      And so, God can't accept us, because we are UNRIGHTEOUS. 
      This is "lost", "unsaved"....hellbound = we don't have any RIGHTEOUSNESS< as all of ours, are "filthy rags".
      So, in steps SALVATION... Down from Heaven God as The Christ arrives... The Cross has been raised.... As God bleeding out on the "tree" has come down from Heaven to give us HIS righteousness so that He can accept us, based on THAT.......and for no other reason will He accept you, or me.
      God, literally became a man, and died on a Cross, to GIVE US "the righteousness of Christ". (God's very own righteousness).
      And that is what salvation actually is....Its God coming to earth to give us His righteousness so that HE can accept us, as by giving us His very righteousness, this makes us acceptable to God.
      Welcome to Salvation.
      Salvation is only.... "what makes you acceptable to God"....and that is one thing, its GOD'S Righteousness, becoming ours.
      A born again person, has literally BECOME "the righteousness of Christ", and Christ is GOD.

To say that God's Grace is amazing, is really the least of what it is...
      How can you describe the wonder of God, dying to give you His righteousness in place of your unrighteousness, as a free Gift?
      Is there a word that can even claim to honor this spiritual transaction enough?
      Just one.
      LOVE.
      Agape` Love.
      God is LOVE.
    • By KiwiChristian
      Would a true prophet of God make false prophecies about World War II?
      ‘The Nazis will destroy the British.’ (Fifth Column, p 15)
      The new book titled Children will prove useful ‘in the remaining months before Armageddon’ (Watchtower, 15 September 1941, p 288)
      ‘The end of Nazi Fascist hierarchy will come and will mark the end forever of demon rule.’ (Watchtower, 15 December 1941, p 377)
    • By Sharky and George
      My opinion is that as Christian's we should not dismiss trying to find meaning in the dreams that we have as some are from God.

BUT also

We should be very careful to use proper discernment in our interpretation when we do:
      Is it completely biblically sound e.g. the dream may have felt good but was it sin - wrong interpretations may make your heart justify sin when you wake up.* How did it feel? Most likely if it made you feel rough then the dream was of the enemy, a nightmare. Sometimes a warning from God too though. Maybe it is just your brain processing the day if you dream about potatoes if you had a jacket potato for dinner lol.  

https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-dream-interpretation.html this IMO is a good bible based website, and this is some useful advice from it:

If it is, prayerfully consider what God would have you do in response to your dream (James 1:5).
      In Scripture, whenever anyone experienced a dream from God, God always made the meaning of the dream clear, whether directly to the person, through an angel, or through another messenger (Genesis 40:5–11; Daniel 2:45; 4:19). When God speaks to us, He makes sure His message is clearly understood.

*I don't think I have been led into sin by a dream but I have been led astray by them before e.g. in a time when I was desperate for a breakthrough, the enemy gave a dream of doing a job that I was not ready for. I tried this job and found I had to leave as it was a massive stress I could cope with. I have been led into big seasons of struggle and confusion as I had put my hope in a dream that was not of God.

Sometimes we should do this:

Hope I have not been too serious, watch out for Nephilim size potatoes running after you with a peeler. 😊

Shalom
    • By KiwiChristian
      JW Belief is first, the Bibilcal position is in bold
      Christ is God's Son and is inferior to him. Christ is God. He took on the form of man to come to earth. John 1:1, 1 Timothy 3:16 Christ died on a stake, not a cross. Christ died on a cross. John 20:25, Matthew 27:37, 27 Christ's human life was paid as a ransom for obedient humans. Christ life was paid as a ransom for sinners Matthew 9:13, 1 Timothy 1:15 Earth will never be destroyed or depopulated. God will create new heavens and earth and new physical laws. God's people will be removed from earth. Matthew 24:31, Mark 13:27, 1 Thess. 4:16-17 The human soul ceases to exist at death The spirit of man goes to be with God *Ecclesiastes 3:21, Ecclesiastes 12:7 Hell is mankind's common grave. Before Christ, all went to Hades, after Christ only non-believers *Psalms 9:17, Matthew 23:33 The 144,000 are born again as spiritual sons of God. All people who confess Christ as Lord and Savior are born again *John 3:3, John 3:3-7 Christians must give public testimony to Scriptural truth. Christians must give public testimony to the gospel of Jesus Christ Romans 1:16, Romans 15:19, 1 Corinthians 1:17 The greatest name is Jehovah. The greatest name is Jesus Christ Ephesians 1:20-22, Philippians 2:9 Man does not have a spirit. Man has a spirit *Ecclesiastes 3:21 We are to worship Jehovah only. We are to worship Father, Son, and Holy Spirit Hebrews 1:6, Revelation 5:13 Jesus second coming occurred invisibly in 1914 and His kingdom was established in heaven. Jesus will return physically to earth and all alive will see Him as His kingdom is established on earth Matthew 24:30, Revelation 1:7 The greatest name is Jehovah. The greatest name is Jesus Christ Ephesians 1:20-22, Philippians 2:9 Christ is Michael the Archangel. Christ is not an angel, but God. Hebrews 1:13 Christ was first of God's creations. Christ is co-eternal with God, and as such was not created Isaiah 9:6, John 1:1, Hebrews 13:8