Alex Summers

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

If we are going to base our actions on what others might think, where does it end?

A. Whatever might give offence to another Christian (Rom 14:15-19):

15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:

17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.

19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

B. Whatever might give offence to Jew, or Gentile, or the Church of God (1 Cor 10:31-33)

31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If we are going to base our actions on what others might think, where does it end?

A. Whatever might give offence to another Christian (Rom 14:15-19):

15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:

17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.

19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

B. Whatever might give offence to Jew, or Gentile, or the Church of God (1 Cor 10:31-33)

31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

I happen to be overweight.....   so should I expect the church to stop having donuts available because I eat too much?

You can take those verses to absolute absurdity if you wish.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

In an effort not to totally derail the yoga thread I thought it would be best to start a new thread.

A lot was said about avoiding the appearance of evil. How far should this go into the daily decisions we make?

If having dinner with a person other than your spouse is wrong, what wouldn't be?

Should I have Dish Network? That dish on my roof lets everyone know I have it and there are some raunchy shows I might be watching, i wouldn't want to give the neighbors an appearance of evil.

Can a person have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner at a restaurant? Who knows what people might think.

Does having a nice house and nice car give the appearance of greed? What will those who are less fortunate than myself think?

Those who are a follower of Jesus have their own conscious toward God and man. One can do what is right in the eyes of God and they will have a pure conscious toward God without guilt. Or one can do what is wrong in the eyes of God and have a guilty conscious towards God. One can do what is wrong to those around them and they will have a guilty conscious because of it. Or one can do right toward those around them and their conscious will not condemn them for doing wrong or harm to them.

ApostlePaul said these words when he was tried by Felix in the book of...

Acts 24:16 - And herein do I exercise myself, to have "always" a conscious void of offense toward God, and toward men.

It is the individual themselves who decides how they choose to live their lives in the eyes of God and how they live their lives toward those around them.   Another persons concious and manner of lifestyle toward God and man will never make our own conscious pure.  If one "really" does think and believe it is the right thing to get rid of their dish on their roof or etc.,  and doesn't get rid of those things.  Then you'll have a guilty conscious about it "because" you believe you are doing wrong to have those things that give the appearance of evil.   

So the individual believer themselves alone in their walk with God and with mankind has to "exercise" their ownselves to not trespass against God or tresspass against those around us.  Or you will personally have a guilty conscious for doing so.   You have to always decide these things personally. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

I happen to be overweight.....   so should I expect the church to stop having donuts available because I eat too much?

You can take those verses to absolute absurdity if you wish.

Quite the opposite.  You simply give your "share" to someone else, and cease and desist!  No one can take offence when a Christian gives away his donuts.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,206
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Hall,

Yes it`s probably best you keep to the outdoors, fun in the snow, & water, & mountain peaks.... :laughing:

Marilyn.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/29/1984

In regards to the passages from Romans and I Cor...

At my previous church we did a once a month Wednesday night dinner before service, the church would provide the main course and members would bring side dishes. Guest were very welcome and got a nice free meal. One of our member families became what they called "ethical vegitarians". They made a formal request to the church to stop using any church funds to purchase anything with meat in it.

They used the passages above as their support.

Should the church have agreed to their demands?

Guest Thallasa

Well may you should go back someday to Germany or France ,or Spain,and so on .So much to see and do ,and most of it good. :grin: 

There are always some places one should avoid ,but if we are to meet people  we must go out .

Guest Thallasa

And if there is a lot of wealth ,then there is probably some evil behind it . Exploiting people and not paying

decent fair wages  is  theft,and so on .

Jesus   often seemed to be less concerned about some sexual sin ,than a too great love of money .

Edited by Thallasa

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

And if there is a lot of wealth ,then there is probably some evil behind it . Exploiting people and not paying

Jesus   often seemed to be less concerned about some sexual sin ,than a too great love of money .

This is false regarding wealth. What is a decent wage? A decent wage is what the market says the labor is worth. No employer forces you to work for them, you are welcome to leave for a higher paying job if you are worth more. Employment is at will, and this relationship only exist because it mutually benefit both participating parties.

This entitlement mentality is wrong and is greed itself. If a person's labor is not worth more what they are getting paid now, why do they have the right to demand higher pay. The employer does not owe you anymore than what they agreed to pay you. But a wise employer would pay you a good wage to keep you motivated and stay at the job.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

This is false regarding wealth. What is a decent wage? A decent wage is what the market says the labor is worth. No employer forces you to work for them, you are welcome to leave for a higher paying job if you are worth more. Employment is at will, and this relationship only exist because it mutually benefit both participating parties.

This entitlement mentality is wrong and is greed itself. If a person's labor is not worth more what they are getting paid now, why do they have the right to demand higher pay. The employer does not owe you anymore than what they agreed to pay you. But a wise employer would pay you a good wage to keep you motivated and stay at the job.

Well this is a side topic, but scripture actually does speak of fair wages.

Scripture covers alot of ground.

Perhaps a quick examination of foreign countries such as Pakistan or China would reveal that millions are paid far below their actual worth.  

Ever heard of sweat shops?

As far as not being forced to work, if the only job a person can get is one that is underpaid and they have a family or even just themself to feed,

then guess what.....in most countries they will take the job

Over simplification does no one justice.  There may be a so called entitilement mentality in the US and even Canada, but in most countries people

work to be able to just eat...no fringe benefits.

End of side issue.