IGNORED

pot stirring 101 - what does church mean to you?

ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

By church Im not talking about the body of Christ, but the organization that you attend for saturday or sunday (or whichever day) service. 

What does it mean to you? What do you expect to get out of it or give to it? What is your primary purpose in being there? Any other comments that you can think of to answer this topic is fine too.

(Dont steal my title again hawk lol.)

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Ayin,  I grew up in a Church of Christ and found that a lot of what I had been taught I just couldn't buy into.  I don't want to diss them so I won't get into the problems.    Basically I went a little pagan crazy for about a year after the falling out....    After that time I figured out that it was that Church I was upset with and not God himself so I set out to find the New Testament church.....  I was about 23 when I started that quest.....   I didn't just read about different churches, I joined them....   tried to be come part of them, but like my original church there seemed to always be things they stressed while neglecting other parts of the Word and I couldn't really find any place that I was comfortable in.'

Then my wife decided she wanted to become a Christian and when she prayed the Lord sent an old Nazarene retired missionary by our house.

Long story short she got saved and we joined a Nazarene Church that was brand new.   The people there were super nice but didn't really get into all the don't that the Nazarene Church teaches (at the time)   When we moved to another town a couple of years later the Church there was really strict in their bylaws.    No movies, no alcohol at all.   People would even send catchup back at restaurants if it seemed a little old for they were afraid it might have fermented a little and they would be tainted.   Long sad story why we decided to leave their because we really truly loved the people there but the doctrine was so off from what I believed it made it hard and I didn't want to hurt anyone's walk so I decided to leave.....   from there I pretty much tried all that was within 20 miles of where we lived and gave up and just stopped going....

Working at Xerox puts me into a lot of the offices of the people who attended the Nazarene Church and one of the People that I liked the most asked me one day if we would just come back and worship with them......   didn't ask to return to church as a member even though they are much less legal even at the national level than they were when we left.

So getting to why we attend that church is because the people there are truly loving people.....   they love each other and they love people in general....      So we go there simply to be around good people and to worship in a spiritual atmosphere.....     they don't even seem to mind when I interrupt prayers I'm doing to talk to myself in tongues when there is something I need to say or ask God about.

We sing, we pray, we eat and play and help each other when needs arise........    we worship with friends.   It's not a large church.

About the time we started going back there God showed me that the true church was around me everywhere......   most of the places we had been had a core group of people that made up the true church, but I couldn't see it because I was looking at doctrine and such.....    The church was that core group most everywhere...

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

For me it is all about worship, that is my main purpose for going, to praise Him.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

For me "church" means what is revealed in Acts 2:42-47, and these are the biblical "ingredients" and God's expectations:

1. And they continued stedfastly (consistency)

2. in the apostles' doctrine (sound doctrine)

3. and fellowship

4. and in breaking of bread (Lord's Supper) 

5. and in prayers

6. And fear came upon every soul: (reverence)

7. and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles (miracles through prayer)

8. And all that believed were together (unity of the spirit)

9. and had all things common (unselfish sharing)

10. And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need (care for all the saints' needs)

11. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple (daily devotions within the Heavenly Temple) 

12. and breaking bread from house to house (hospitality) 

13. did eat their meat with gladness (joy)

14. and singleness of heart (harmony)

15. Praising God (worship) 

16. and having favour with all the people (a good local testimony) 

17. And the Lord added to the church daily (total dependence on the Lord in church matters)

18. such as should be saved (soul winning)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

What Ezra said (so well), and more.

it is the basis for my daily life. It is friendship, fellowship during the week, seeing people from church every day (we are a small community), fishing with friends from church, camping out with the men (in this regard the women are wimps  :mgcheerful: . We men always say they would rather bluetooth in the mall together than rough it in a tent with no toilets or water - perhaps they do have a point). Support in time of need, lifts and visits to hospital, etc, etc, etc.

It' not just Sunday, sing, listen, drink coffee and go for me.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

To me it is about being a part (member) of a body that is stronger than my own, which is Christ's body in whom He is the Head. This fellowship in any capicity doesn't necessarily always happen within walls.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Im asking not about the body but about the time you spend in church. What does that church service mean to you?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I mean it means strength to me. I can draw strength for my inner man by spending time in church in any capacity. It can come in the form of many ways like in worshipping the Lord just me and the Lord connecting which is between me and God singing and making melody in my heart to God this has nothing to do with the others that are in church, it can come listening to the teacher teach, it can come praying to God making my request known to Him, it can come simply by laughing and having a good time hanging out or simply eating a meal at church etc., The joy of the Lord is my strength in which I have in common when I am in church with others that are around me. I hope this clarifies or at least gets me on the same page of the right subject matter.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/09/1989

It's the most cherished day of the week, I personally believe. It's a day where so many brothers and sisters in Christ gather together in one building, and learn more and more about Him each and every week. We get to worship, learn and fellowship; and forget all our troubles. It can be a great reminder of just how great our God truly is.

During the week we all have our ups and our downs, and God will use these services to draw strength to us, to unite us all and to help us overcome any obstacles.

I attend a smallish Church with my wife and son. There's about 50-80 people that attend. We love singing hymns together and worshiping His holy name. My wife and I love getting our Bibles out and hearing the Word of God and allowing the Father speak to us. Yes, we should be delving into our Bibles every day, and I strongly encourage that, but the purpose behind the learning at Church is different to that at home, and it's great to have absolutely no control sometimes.