Coffeespiller87

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  212
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,691
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1

How do you appropriate God's grace when suffering present trials?

I do not understand what this means to appropriate God's grace.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

How is it used in scripture?

Guest shiloh357

To appropriate God's grace means to take hold of it by faith and apply it to your life.  The first step in appropriating his grace is to first recognize that as a Christian, it is already yours.  God has already given you His grace and it is sufficient for every situation. 

When we trust everything to Him, when put our suffering in His hands and we draw near to him in the midst of suffering, that's when we experience the grace that sustains us.  That's how we appropriate His grace.  

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

1 Pet 5: 10

But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,206
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Coffeespiller87,

A very good & timely question. Personally I appropriate God`s grace by trusting Him through the trial. I see whether there is some wrong attitude in me, guilt, wrong expectations of self, others or expecting peace in a damaged world, then I seek the Lord,(think, meditate on Him, His character) & see if there is a lesson to learn of God, or as I said exposing things in me.

I do not have lots of strength but humble myself & pace myself, looking to the Lord to take me through.

Bless you & may you know His enabling as you go through this trial. Marilyn.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Hi coffeespiller87, when we as believers encounter trials or sufferings in this life in any fashion or form we simply have to trust and wait on the Lord. Having paitence (waiting on God) and allow God in his timeing to bring us out and through the trial. We have to go through the trial and endure it but God is our helper and he will bring us out of our trials, that is why it is called the good fight of faith because we win in the end of it whether in this life or in the life to come. We have already won the battle before the fight is even fought but we still have to go through the trials and sufferings in this life. Our faith will be and is being tried by Satan as he tries to get us to shipwreck our faith and just give up on God through hardships and sufferings. But if we don't give in to Satan's temptation the eternal reward is worth more than anything this world or Satan could ever offer us in exchange for our faith.

We as believer have an advocate (lawyer) with the Father. Jesus is our advocate in the court room and when Satan accuses us before the Father and puts our faith on trial Jesus is in that court room standing on our behalf pleading our case. (Job is a good example of how his faith was being tried as he encountered all kinds of suffering in this life because of his faith and trust in God but at the end of his trials when all was said and done Job was restored back double at the end of his trial than what he had at the beginning of it). Letting God fight our battles and being patience in the trials of this life and letting God fight our battles for us is appropriating the grace of God for His grace is sufficent in our weaknesses.

1 Peter 1:7-9 - That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour at the appearing of Jesus Christ...Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I do not understand what this means to appropriate God's grace.

Two things.

OneLight asked you how it is used in scripture, and it would be good if you read the scriptures concerning grace and perhaps quoted the scriptures you do not understand and why. By doing this you will learn and grow, and not be spoon fed (the bible calls it milk), by others. while Worthy is certainly a Ministry, and that is what we are here for, my pastor would send me home and tell me to come back with the scriptures i don't understand and what i think they might mean before teaching me more.

Secondly, Shiloh said,

To appropriate God's grace means to take hold of it by faith and apply it to your life.  The first step in appropriating his grace is to first recognize that as a Christian, it is already yours.  God has already given you His grace and it is sufficient for every situation. 

And there you have it! Too many Christians clutch to God's grace in times of stress and trouble in their lives, and kind of forget about it otherwise, when things are going well. We need however to live in the constant state of grace gifted to us through Jesus.It's not something we switch on and off when we perceive we need it.

Remember, your life once you are a christian, is not falling apart, it is coming together, and sometimes they seem like the same thing.

But Grace is the constant, just as is Love. 

• Topic Count:  212
  • Content Count:  1,691
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1

well I am doing a Bible study through the book of 1st Peter in the Bible but that question came to me was in the 1st Peter commentary warren wiesbe book Be Hopeful. at the end of each chapter their are questions.

the word appropriate Gods grace isnt used in scripture it had to do with the topic of how 1st Peter is about suffering and how when we suffer for godly living we glorify God it was discussing how grace and suffering and glory are themes throughout the book of 1st peter.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

One way that I appropriate God's grace is to trust that God has it all under His control and is holding me close to Him in His arms. I am secure in Him and His love, so there is no room for fear. I can rest in Him and in His care.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

well I am doing a Bible study through the book of 1st Peter in the Bible but that question came to me was in the 1st Peter commentary warren wiesbe book Be Hopeful. at the end of each chapter their are questions.

the word appropriate Gods grace isnt used in scripture it had to do with the topic of how 1st Peter is about suffering and how when we suffer for godly living we glorify God it was discussing how grace and suffering and glory are themes throughout the book of 1st peter.

That question about "appropriating" God's grace was probably a bit misleading. That word should be "believe" not "appropriate".  When a person obeys the Gospel and receives the gift of eternal life, he or she "appropriates" God's grace at that point through faith (Eph 2:8,9).

From then on, God simply adds grace to grace (Jn 1:16), and one simply accepts this by faith.  Each time you read an epistle from Paul, he begins with "GRACE TO YOU" and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ (1 Cor 1:3).  This in itself is proof that you are constantly receiving God's grace because a Christian is continuously under grace. 

Both Peter and James tell us to rejoice when suffering, so that is an evidence of grace.  Christ tells us to rejoice when we are persecuted for the sake of the Gospel, so joy in the midst of suffering is evidence of grace, and Paul is a good example (Acts 16:25).