Ezra

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

The Bible doesn't teach anything about self-esteem in the sense of how to have good self-esteem.   It actually teaches that we are to esteem ourselves as less than others.   That goes against the grain of our culture.

shiloh357,

Wouldn't you agree that if one does have a solid sense in Christian "self-worth" then it would enable that person to esteem others more highly than thenselves.  In other words, if a believer is secure in his understanding of who he or she is in Christ, they would not have a problem with giving way to others.

I have dealt with self esteem issues in the past.That is where it is now...in the past.I do not care how people view me.I am the Daughter of the King and that is what is most important to me.I know He loves me more than I can imagine.

Amen. You've hit the nail on the head.

My thoughts are that there has been such a great emphasis on `Who I am in Christ.`...

But isn't that exactly where we need to begin?  If I know who I am in Christ, then I also know that I am worth something to God, and self-esteem is consequently a non-issue. We should also distinguish between self-centeredness and self-esteem.

Hi Ezra

.. As Bopeep stated, there is a healthy level of self esteem..Some Christians seem/are puffed up with knowledge, Prideful, opinionated and use many words  vainly seeking self glory, rarely if ever giving glory to God..Some are in a dark area of self hatred not having on the armour of Christ, succumbing to the arrows of the enemy...

God Bless

Snow,

How would you go about helping a brother or sister to come out of the condition described above? You are correct in reminding us that knowledge puffeth up, and that we need to be on guard against self-glorification.  Would that be a symptom of underlying insecurity?  Also, some Christians believe they can lose their salvation, and could that also be a factor?

Recently a Christian posted his thanks to God for helping him deal with his issue of self-esteem.  That triggered a few questions for general discussion:

1. Is the issue of self-esteem a problem among Christians (believers)?

2. How prevalent is it, if indeed it is a problem?

3. What does the Bible teach about this issue?

4.  Should it even be an issue if the doctrine pertaining to our position in Christ is taught fully, clearly, and scripturally?

Hello Ezra,

Excellent topic.  In my experience the issue of self esteem is very prevalent amongst Christians.  Scripture teaches us that once we have accepted Christ we are forgiven our transgressions, so in a perfect world, this wouldn't be a problem.  However, we don't live in a perfect world, we live in a fallen one, and the enemy is very real, and he is very clever.  Believers will continue to be hounded by the enemy until he is done away with, and this seems to be a very successful instrument that he uses against believers.

This is very true.  God has not only forgiven us, but He has also cast all our sins behind His back. We are justified by grace, therefore we have peace with God.  And if we have peace with God, why shouldn't we have peace with ourselves?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,678
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  0

Hi Ezra

.. As Bopeep stated, there is a healthy level of self esteem..Some Christians seem/are puffed up with knowledge, Prideful, opinionated and use many words  vainly seeking self glory, rarely if ever giving glory to God..Some are in a dark area of self hatred not having on the armour of Christ, succumbing to the arrows of the enemy...

God Bless

Snow,

How would you go about helping a brother or sister to come out of the condition described above? You are correct in reminding us that knowledge puffeth up, and that we need to be on guard against self-glorification.  Would that be a symptom of underlying insecurity?  Also, some Christians believe they can lose their salvation, and could that also be a factor?

Hi Ezra

I can't help a Brother or a Sister!..... Give glory to God.

God Bless

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Exar, it seems to me through your concurrent posts that you are trying to lead people to an answer instead of just coming right out and telling us what your point is.  Care to just come right out and tell us how you see it?  It would save you a lot of time.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

If a person thinks they are something when they are nothing then they fool themselves. That said one of three issues we have is the pride of life. Everyone wants to be someone. Even Pharoah was raised up because God had a purpose for him.

My estimation of self or self-esteem is on target when I admit that without God I am nothing. Without Christ I can do nothing.

Self-esteem is vanity.

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

Hello Ezra,

Excellent topic.  In my experience the issue of self esteem is very prevalent amongst Christians.  Scripture teaches us that once we have accepted Christ we are forgiven our transgressions, so in a perfect world, this wouldn't be a problem.  However, we don't live in a perfect world, we live in a fallen one, and the enemy is very real, and he is very clever.  Believers will continue to be hounded by the enemy until he is done away with, and this seems to be a very successful instrument that he uses against believers.

This is very true.  God has not only forgiven us, but He has also cast all our sins behind His back. We are justified by grace, therefore we have peace with God.  And if we have peace with God, why shouldn't we have peace with ourselves?

I would say that comes down to where an individual is in their walk with the Lord.  Growth is part of a process, spiritual maturity, or however one wishes to word it, is more a matter of drawing closer to God.  The closer we get, the easier it becomes to go through the valleys we will inevitably encounter in this life.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi wingnut & gdemoss,

Well bros, you have hit the nail on the head as far as I`m concerned. - to esteem Christ, is our focus & not self-esteem.

Marilyn.