angels4u

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

And we have such trust through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit;[a] for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

2 Cor 3:4-6

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

The books of the bible were not carried around in one big book.   The bible is a collection of books, which may be carried individually or in groups.   They did not have access to the printing press back then and everything was hand written.   This made copies of scripture scarce compared to today.

therese

Correct they were not all in one big book,

.....but God planned and decided for his Word to be contained in one book when he sent his word out to the gentiles, so that we can find him easy without running all over the place.

We seek in the NT first, then go to the OT for the history and prophecies, and compare that both books testify of each other and harmonise.

The reason why the Book of Enoch is left out of the canon is because God did not want it included in there, simple, it's not man's doing...but God's doing.

....not because it's a false account, but because it would only cause more confusion than what we have today.

To put it bluntly, the book of Enoch is only for the mature reader who has been weaned off the milk and given all solids.  Without having all this they could not possibly compare, nor begin to understand. .....but let not anyone call the book false without first testing it, and I suggest learn the holy bible first before even attempting because it's not given to those in nappies still, and those that are will call it false only because they don't understand what he's talking about.

finally...   someone who understands.....

I agree with you regarding why the book of Enoch was not included in the canon.

I agree it was God's doing.  

I also believe God works through human agents, and worked through the men in the ancient Councils who gave us the canon of New Testament scripture.

We call it The "Canon" of Scripture -  and I want to bring attention to the word  "CANON."   

By calling it the "Canon" of scripture we are assenting to the "Canon" from each of these Councils, for otherwise there is no reason to call it "the canon of scripture."

The word "Canon" designates a decision by these councils.    By calling it the "canon," we say their decision was right, and because of their decision we have this canon and know what is New Testament scripture.

We cannot divorce the '"canon" (decision) of scripture' from the Councils who gave their "canon"  - their "decision" of what is to be allowed to be read as scripture during the Liturgy.

To divorce it would be entirely nonsensical.    

My computer has 7 different translations of what is called the Canon on it and has access through the internet of a dozen or so more.......     and those Bibles don't all say the same things.....    so I personally am not hung up on that "Canon" thing.   We call the canon the inspired word of God, but they don't all say the same thing......   so why do people fight so hard that every word has to be from the lips of God himself to be usable......   if that is our standard, we need to change our reading material concerning the canon....   none of them are valid.  The one time we are told that Jesus himself read Scripture in the synagogue, the text he read followed the LXX (see Luke 4:1619).

So, personally, I'm tired of all the canon talk...    

Actually, the point of what I was asking is  -  

Why do people use the word canon?

Guest shiloh357

The canon was not decided by the early church.  it was discovered.  The councils did not sit in judgment on the Bible and decide which books should be included and which not.  The canon was determined and given by God and the church merely discovered it.  

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

And we have such trust through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit;[a] for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

2 Cor 3:4-6

Amen, angels. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

The canon was not decided by the early church.  it was discovered.  The councils did not sit in judgment on the Bible and decide which books should be included and which not.  The canon was determined and given by God and the church merely discovered it.  

What does "canon" mean?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

The word "canon" is important when discussing what is Scripture is what is not.  The "canon" is the body of Divinely inspired writings that may be rightly regarded as "the Word of God".  If God inspired His prophets and apostles, He also guided them in determining what is canonical and what is not.

By the time Jesus of Nazareth came to earth, the Hebrew canon was established, and the Hebrew scribes recognized each and every letter and word as a word of God, and from God. Christ summarized the canon of the Tanach thus: (1) The Law or Torah (5 books) , (2) The Prophets or Nebiim (8 books) and (3 ), and the Psalms or Writings or Kethubim (11 books), for a total of 24 books. (see Luke 24:44-48).

The OT Apocrypha was excluded, as were the Pseudepigraphical Writings (such as Enoch).  When the Tanach was printed and made into the Old Testament, a number of these books were split into their components for a total of 39 books.

When the Septuagint was translated into Greek (c 200 BC), the Apocrypha was included since the Hellenistic Jews were what you might call "liberal scholars". 

When the Catholic scholar Jerome translated the Latin Vulgate out of the Greek and Hebrew (405 AD), he clearly recognized that the Apocrypha was non-canonical.  But he was compelled to include it by the Catholic Church.

The translators of the KJB included the Apocrypha in their 1611 translation, but made it crystal clear that it was non-canonical (unlike the RCC which made it canonical).  Thus the Catholic bibles do not resemble Protestant Bibles, just as their doctrine is quite different from Protestant doctrine.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Did anybody read or seen the video of Enoch? 

I know it is not in the Bible ..if anybody read it before please let me know what you think of it as I,m debating to watch the video online...

From what I heard and seen  so far..it is interesting ..

Years ago, I got the book of Enoch and started reading it. Holy Spirit told me to throw it away, so I did. I didn't get that deep into it to say whats in it, but I can say that the fruit from the ones who do get into the book of Enoch is not good. I've seen many people get on a prideful spiritual high, fall into some crazy false doctrines, separate themselves from the body of Christ through reading that book and taking it as scripture.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Amen.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Did anybody read or seen the video of Enoch?

I know it is not in the Bible ..if anybody read it before please let me know what you think of it as I,m debating to watch the video online...

From what I heard and seen so far..it is interesting ..

Years ago, I got the book of Enoch and started reading it. Holy Spirit told me to throw it away, so I did. I didn't get that deep into it to say whats in it, but I can say that the fruit from the ones who do get into the book of Enoch is not good. I've seen many people get on a prideful spiritual high, fall into some crazy false doctrines, separate themselves from the body of Christ through reading that book and taking it as scripture.

:P