FreeinChrist

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

What are some of the things that you do to have such a solid time with God?  Asking as one who really needs to reconnect with God in my prayer life.

Any advise would really be appreciated.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I have found that David in the Psalms has so much to teach about prayer...read and listen to his words.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  565
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

I believe each person have different ways of achieving this... I listen to worship songs, read the bible, listen to messages...

But mostly, worship songs really help me pray...

If i want to pray for longer periods, I listen / sing for about 5 minutes, play for a while, sing/listen to music for a few more minutes and pray... i continue that way till i'm satisfied.

I hope you find this helpful.

:)

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

I don't really think it has anything to do with how long you pray for, or how long you read your bible for, but just remembering the Lord.  We remember Him in the bad times, sure.  But what about the sweet times?  The funny times?  The exciting times?  Only, our attitude must be right.  We walk with God knowing that He is holy, and that by His standards, though He has revived our spirits, our souls still have a long way to go, in terms of seperating ourselves from the flesh, and crucifying it.  It's not going to happen overnight.  But one should be able to share a funny moment with God. "Lord Jesus, thank you for that!  That was sooooo funny!"  Gratitude is a big attitude corrector, especially in suffering. "You're with me in this, and You're taking me through.  Thank You, God!"  However tempted we may be to complain.  If we rely in FAITH on Him, our soul will catch up more and more to our spirit.  And we being grateful to the Lord shows our faith in Him, regardless of what our emotions are telling us.

Also, it makes a difference what we are doing with the time we don't spend with God.  What are we looking at or concentrating on?  Is it something that will edify my spirit better to commune with Him?  Or is it distracting me away from Him?

Be warned though:  taste and see that the Lord is good!  The more of Him you taste with your spirit, the more you will realise your true and immense hunger and thirst for Him.  You will not be able to get enough!  You will become insatiable.  That's what eternity is for ;)

Coming from a soul who is learning to catch up.  Blessings.

Edited by *Zion*

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

What are some of the things that you do to have such a solid time with God?  Asking as one who really needs to reconnect with God in my prayer life.

Any advise would really be appreciated.

:thumbsup:

"Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually." 1 Chronicles 16:11

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,253
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

I always go back to Phil. 4:4-9 as a recipe for prayer.  

Rejoice in the Lord, in Who He is, His attributes of holiness, love, all knowing, truth, all powerful, omni present, our Healer, our Provider, our Deliverer, our Savior; you continue the list.  Gladen yourselves in Him

Let your unselfish gentleness, (graciousness, forbearance) be known to all men.  The Lord is at hand.  He is always present in us to help us and to demonstrate His grace and forbearance to others. 

Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and definite requests with THANKSGIVING continue to make your requests known to God.  And God's peace, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation throught Christ and content with its earthly lot, peace which transcends understanding, shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Then, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and honor; whatever is just, pure, lovely, kind and gracious; if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, THINK ON THESE THINGS AND FIX YOUR MINDS ON THEM.

(My commentary with help from the Amplifies Version)  

Often we pray and then allow the enemy come in to steal our faith and our peace!  It is letting the cares of the world and worries of life choke out God's Word as well.  We must fix out mind on Who God is and His love for us, that He would even send His Son to die for us, to withstand this.  It really helps to avoid watching the news or turning back to the burdens of life after praying about them.  God is bigger than them all.  He leads us beside still waters and restores our souls.  

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

I open my whole heart to God.I turn to Him about everything big and small in my life.I have faith that my prayer will be answered even if it is not the answer that I want and I know that he hears all my prayers.I sit back and let God have total control of my life and I do not try to intercept and do what I want because things are not going my way.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

I open my whole heart to God.I turn to Him about everything big and small in my life.I have faith that my prayer will be answered even if it is not the answer that I want and I know that he hears all my prayers.I sit back and let God have total control of my life and I do not try to intercept and do what I want because things are not going my way.

Amen dear sis!

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  2

I try to remember Him in everything I experience. I don't always succeed, but most often He is on my mind. 

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

Thank you for all the replies, they have all help greatly.

I don't really think it has anything to do with how long you pray for, or how long you read your bible for, but just remembering the Lord.  We remember Him in the bad times, sure.  But what about the sweet times?  The funny times?  The exciting times?  Only, our attitude must be right.  We walk with God knowing that He is holy, and that by His standards, though He has revived our spirits, our souls still have a long way to go, in terms of seperating ourselves from the flesh, and crucifying it.  It's not going to happen overnight.  But one should be able to share a funny moment with God. "Lord Jesus, thank you for that!  That was sooooo funny!"  Gratitude is a big attitude corrector, especially in suffering. "You're with me in this, and You're taking me through.  Thank You, God!"  However tempted we may be to complain.  If we rely in FAITH on Him, our soul will catch up more and more to our spirit.  And we being grateful to the Lord shows our faith in Him, regardless of what our emotions are telling us.

Also, it makes a difference what we are doing with the time we don't spend with God.  What are we looking at or concentrating on?  Is it something that will edify my spirit better to commune with Him?  Or is it distracting me away from Him?

Be warned though:  taste and see that the Lord is good!  The more of Him you taste with your spirit, the more you will realise your true and immense hunger and thirst for Him.  You will not be able to get enough!  You will become insatiable.  That's what eternity is for ;)

Coming from a soul who is learning to catch up.  Blessings.

Zion really liked this post, especially the underlined part, I guess the best way of putting it is I feel a bit dry, and I need to taste the gracious goodness of God.