• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/21/1969

21 hours ago, enoob57 said:

I find it necessary to give thought to the fact of Paul spiritually desiring 5 intelligible words over 10,000 (not)... this being in community of body.
Then in private excluding any of this desire performing unknown in the fellowship of prayer.  When in fact God maintains this promise
Jas 4:8
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
KJV

Sometimes, I have to say, what you are trying to say is not easy to understand.  Maybe if you simplified a bit, it would be more, ah, shall we say 'edifiying?' Lol.  (Pun intended). 

• Group:  Senior Member

22 hours ago, Littlelambseativy said:

Yes, I agree. Some feel that everyone must speak in tongues, but it is a gift given to some..others have equal gifts of teaching, ministering to needs etc. All are equally important.

What matters is following God.  He knows what His will is for our lives and wants us to be open to them, no matter what they are.  I tried to get tongues, after changing my mind, and decided I did want them, but God didn't even give them to me right away.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

when ever one speaks in 'todays' tongues and does not know what it is they are saying-it is not based on The Word
but on emotional response... which is subjectively believed to be of God when by Word it cannot be verified... The
only harm that I see in it is that through emotional response is brought up to an equal plain of the foundation as
God's Word ( ! ) Love, Steven

23 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

and maybe even higher plain ?   what would have happened if the widow had just prayed

in tongues instead of putting all of her faith and trust in Yahweh and then all of her life savings in the offering ?  Would Jesus have even mentioned her to the disciples ?  Would she have been spoken of everywhere the Gospel is preached ? 

What if's are useless in the scholarship of God's Word... what is written is written for all eternity!  Love, Steven 

Well, I found it interesting when the woman sitting next to me once prayed on tongues, the EXACT phrase that often came out of my mouth. Hhhmmmmm, very incredible odds if it were a human emotion.  WE KNOW.

On 12/12/2015, 8:17:13, enoob57 said:

when ever one speaks in 'todays' tongues and does not know what it is they are saying-it is not based on The Word
but on emotional response... which is subjectively believed to be of God when by Word it cannot be verified... The
only harm that I see in it is that through emotional response is brought up to an equal plain of the foundation as

It is based on the Word. Paul said he spoke in tongues outside the church.  I don't understand why people get so upset about this subject.  It is not US you are getting upset at, but refusing to be open to God. 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎17‎:‎13‎, enoob57 said:

5 hours ago, Pamelasv said:

Well, I found it interesting when the woman sitting next to me once prayed on tongues, the EXACT phrase that often came out of my mouth. Hhhmmmmm, very incredible odds if it were a human emotion.  WE KNOW.

5 hours ago, Pamelasv said:

It is based on the Word. Paul said he spoke in tongues outside the church.  I don't understand why people get so upset about this subject.  It is not US you are getting upset at, but refusing to be open to God. 

Your still not getting what I am saying... tongues in a non communicable performance is just that - not communicated through understanding! Thus verifying
what is occurring by being filtered through The Word of God is not possible (note this is not saying that tongues are not addressed in The Word)  but the
actual occurrence without interpreter is not known to the mind... thus being outside of the foundation of verifying the occurrence with The Word is very
suspect to me... mainly because it is valued as from God yet through His all sufficient written Word it cannot be verified as such! People can only say I know
it is from God because of subjective inner feeling or intuition ...  Love, Steven

On 12/14/2015 at 0:29 PM, enoob57 said:

Your still not getting what I am saying... tongues in a non communicable performance is just that - not communicated through understanding! Thus verifying
what is occurring by being filtered through The Word of God is not possible (note this is not saying that tongues are not addressed in The Word)  but the
actual occurrence without interpreter is not known to the mind... thus being outside of the foundation of verifying the occurrence with The Word is very
suspect to me... mainly because it is valued as from God yet through His all sufficient written Word it cannot be verified as such! People can only say I know
it is from God because of subjective inner feeling or intuition ...  Love, Steven

I was not referring to tongues in the church, but in private.  Yes, everything you just said is what Paul talked about.  That is fine to be suspect of tongues otherwise, too. Because it does say we need to test the spirits to see whether they are from God. Kind of hard to do tho just hearing what sounds like someone 'jibbering.' You really have to get to know the person enough to find out.  Because their authentic walk with God speaks volumes.  And you know whether they are trying to seek the 'gifts' so it maybe suspect. 

2 hours ago, Pamelasv said:

I was not referring to tongues in the church, but in private.  Yes, everything you just said is what Paul talked about.  That is fine to be suspect of tongues otherwise, too. Because it does say we need to test the spirits to see whether they are from God. Kind of hard to do tho just hearing what sounds like someone 'jibbering.' You really have to get to know the person enough to find out.  Because their authentic walk with God speaks volumes.  And you know whether they are trying to seek the 'gifts' so it maybe suspect. 

Pamelasv I know what you are saying and it was with gentleness said- I commend you for this! Most feel it is a attack on their person
when I express my concerns toward this practice... The Lord speaks this way to us
2 Co 11:12-15
12 But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion;
that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we. 13 For such are false apostles,
deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14 And no marvel;
for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15 Therefore it is no great thing if
his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be
according to their works.
KJV

This above combined with this below place a tension upon us

Mt 7:20-21
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 21 Not every one that saith unto me,
Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my
Father which is in heaven.
KJV

This tension is heightened by this fact

Mt 24:24-26
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and
wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25 Behold,
I have told you before. 26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert;
go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
KJV

Based on this tension this is where I keep my heart in all this:
I know Paul in s/Spirit writes that he would desire 5 words of understanding to that of ten thousands of not... based on the above
reality God is communicating to us that we in and of ourselves are not able to trust anything outside of what we are instructed in
The Word... this not being a bad thing for it forces the heart to desperately need His help in consistent 24 hour period 7 days a week
reality within His Word taught by His Spirit! God has called us to reason with Him through His Word alone
Isa 1:18-20
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they
shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. 19 If ye be
willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: 20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall
be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.
KJV
And indeed God has taken time to write it down... praise His Holy Name for this! Apologizing for the length of this almost done!
Knowing all that God has said to me on this subject - I cannot trust the elements outside of His Word to be enough for my heart
to be placed upon - emotion, sensory appearance, tradition of peoples, etc. for all of this is in subjective presentation of being
outside of the understanding ->(in a subjective format) where we have no promise from God in His word to rely upon... and to
rely on subjectivity is to rely on elements outside of God's Written Word! The Word within Itself has this seal of promise
2 Ti 3:16-17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for
correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly
furnished unto all good works.
KJV
Be taking care, loved one, of your heart and where you place the foundation for which it to rest-> as God says in the wisdom
Pr 4:23-26
23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. 24 Put away from thee a
froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee. 25 Let thine eyes look right on, and let
thine eyelids look straight before thee. 26 Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways
be established.

KJV
Ps 119:105-107
105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. 106 I have sworn, and I will
perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments. 107 I am afflicted very much: quicken me,
O Lord, according unto thy word.
KJV

The living Word has combined to Himself The Written Word
Jn 14:6
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
KJV
Love, Steven

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

On 12/8/2015 at 9:40 AM, Pamelasv said:

1 Chorinthians 12:28

'And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.' 

I think Paul was trying to say these gifts are greater than tongues because afterward he talks about the Chorinthian church babbling so much in tongues, trying to look super spiritual or something.  

Is there more to this than just to get people to quit showing off, because it says 'God has appointed first' It's not like they have some more authority or something if they have greater gifts ( except apostles and the like)

Perhaps there is absolutely nothing more than that, but I was wondering.  

Yes, that is exactly what Paul was saying. He was also saying that order must be kept in church and the congregation must not descend into spiritual chaos like the Corinthians (and the Charismatics today). And there are gifts that are far more important than speaking in tongues (a gift that doesnt even exist any more as it only lasted 20 years or so)