• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

11 minutes ago, Vendtre said:

Seriously?  Most people could not find Pakistan on a map, let alone care about the people there.  I would even suggest you care because they were Christians killed, had it been a large group of Muslims I am betting the terrible feeling would be missing.  I don't recal seeing anyone complain when Yahoo does not run stories about terrorist killing Muslims.

Again, where  are you getting your statistics, you think that there are 160 million people in the U.S. that cannot find Paskistan on a map? Or, are you talking about other people, not Americans? Do you think that not knowing where Pakistan is on a map, is equivalent to not caring about it's people?I do not see a logical connection You sure have a cynical view of Americans, must be depressing living in your head!

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,420
  • Content Per Day:  0.47
  • Days Won:  4

6 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

It's possible, do you have any data on that, or is that just your opinion base on a few of our 320 million people you have heard from on this? 

It is my opinion based on interactions with people all over the country and from paying attention to the country.  We (as a country) have a short opinion span and care little about what happens outside of our borders, if not outside our own little world.  

It is my opinion we (as a country) care more about who is doing well on the voice and who Kylie Jenner is dating than a bombing in some Muslim country. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven

1 minute ago, Vendtre said:

It is my opinion based on interactions with people all over the country and from paying attention to the country.  We (as a country) have a short opinion span and care little about what happens outside of our borders, if not outside our own little world.  

It is my opinion we (as a country) care more about who is doing well on the voice and who Kylie Jenner is dating than a bombing in some Muslim country. 

OK Thanks for your honesty that your opinion is based on tiny smattering of people, and admitting that it is an opinion. I fall into another demographic, I am not sure what the Voice is and have no idea who Kylie Jenner is, is that the former Bruce?

5 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Again, where  are you getting your statistics, you think that there are 160 million people in the U.S. that cannot find Paskistan on a map? Or, are you talking about other people, not Americans? Do you think that not knowing where Pakistan is on a map, is equivalent to not caring about it's people?I do not see a logical connection You sure have a cynical view of Americans, must be depressing living in your head!

I don't think it is cynial, I think it is realistic.  

In 2006 National Geographics did a poll and only 30 some percent could find Iraq on a map, and that was in the middle of the war there.  Less than 25 percent could find Israel on a map. 

Yes. I do find a correlation between knowing the basics of a country (I.e. Where it is) and caring about the people of that country.  

2 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

OK Thanks for your honesty that your opinion is based on tiny smattering of people, and admitting that it is an opinion. I fall into another demographic, I am not sure what the Voice is and have no idea who Kylie Jenner is, is that the former Bruce?

Let me ask you. If those people that were killed in Pakistan had been Muslims would your level of caring be the same?

Yes, I remember that poll as I recall, it was 37%. Another poll showed that 1/5th of Americans, cannot find the U.S. in a map, lol, but I am not sure that that is evidence that they do not care about U.S. people. I do not know where you live, but my feeling for you have nothing to do with where you live.

If anything, I would say that these polls are more of an indicator, of how poorly our educational system is doing.

However, as I recall, this thread is about Yahoo, so I will let you have the last say . . . well, let me hold off on that, it appears on my popup, that you have already replied again, so before I commit to not saying anymore on this distraction from  the topic, let me take a peek

2 hours ago, Vendtre said:

Let me ask you. If those people that were killed in Pakistan had been Muslims would your level of caring be the same?

Death of any people except Christians, is a huge tragedy. I was asked that question once about the war in Kosovo, accused of taking sides because one group was Christian, and one Muslim. If fact, I did not even know that at the time. While there is a sense in which I love Christian in a way (they are my family) that I do not love others, I love even my enemies.

I am more concerned, when Muslims die, that when Christians die. Christ died for sinners, and we all are sinners. A person who dies as a Muslim, is a bigger concern than one who dies as a Christian. To the Christian, death is a promotion, for a Muslim, it is a most tragic waste of life. So, to answer you  question, if those people who were killed had been Muslims, no, my level of caring would not be the same, it would be higher.

Now, as to not divert the topic further, you can have the last say if you like, I will not be responding in this topic further, unless it is about Yahoo.

As I was saying about Yahoo, they care about making money, not being pro-Muslim or pro-Christian.  They are pro-money.  That is why the story was moved so quickly, no other reason.

1 hour ago, Vendtre said:

As I was saying about Yahoo, they care about making money, not being pro-Muslim or pro-Christian.  They are pro-money.  That is why the story was moved so quickly, no other reason.

Well yeah, as a publicly traded company, their first responsibilty is to maximize profits, some times little things like truth, fairness, balance, objectivity, have to be secondary in the interest of providing value to their investors. It is NOT a ministry, and should not reasonably expected to have high standards at all times.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

2 hours ago, Vendtre said:

WSeriously?  Most people could not find Pakistan on a map, let alone care about the people there.  I would even suggest you care because they were Christians killed, had it been a large group of Muslims I am betting the terrible feeling would be missing.  I don't recal seeing anyone complain when Yahoo does not run stories about terrorist killing Muslims.

Well, the generalization would be wrong again.  People are people regardless of geography, race or religion; the only ones I never feel bad about are the terrorists.  Most of the people killed, Christian or muslim, were women out for a day with their kids.  Btw, I do know where Pakistan is and the demographics of that country; can't speak for anyone else.