• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

2 Timothy 2:23-24 

Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,

2 Timothy 2:24 

And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,

Proverbs 15:1 

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Philippians 2:14 

Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Romans 12:19 

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

Titus 3:1-2 

Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Romans 14:19 

So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

1 Corinthians 13:1-13 

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; ...

Proverbs 3:30 

Do not contend with a man for no reason, when he has done you no harm.

Proverbs 26:4 

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.

James 3:17 

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.

Galatians 5:22-23 

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

1 Peter 2:21 

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.

James 3:9-12 

With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.

Proverbs 18:1-2 

Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment. A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.

Proverbs 23:9 

Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, for he will despise the good sense of your words.

Romans 12:17 

Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.

Proverbs 29:22 

A man of wrath stirs up strife, and one given to anger causes much transgression.

Proverbs 29:11 

A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

2 Timothy 3:16 

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Philippians 2:14-16 

Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.

John 18:36 

Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”

Proverbs 1 

Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.

Romans 14:1 

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.

Matthew 6:25 

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?

Proverbs 10:8 

The wise of heart will receive commandments, but a babbling fool will come to ruin.

Deuteronomy 4:2 

You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you.

Titus 3:9 

But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.

2 Timothy 2:14 

Remind them of these things, and charge them before God not to quarrel about words, which does no good, but only ruins the hearers.

James 5:1-20 

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days. Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter. ...

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Matthew 4:7

Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

Proverbs 17:27-28 

Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

Proverbs 9:7-9 

Whoever corrects a scoffer gets himself abuse, and he who reproves a wicked man incurs injury. Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you; reprove a wise man, and he will love you. Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.

1 Corinthians 6:7 

To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather suffer wrong? Why not rather be defrauded?

Proverbs 12:16 

The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult.

Revelation 21:4 

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

Proverbs 30:33 

For pressing milk produces curds, pressing the nose produces blood, and pressing anger produces strife.

1 Peter 3:15 

But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

James 4:1-10 

What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”? ...

Ephesians 5:6 

Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 

For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,

Romans 8:1-39 

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. ...

Luke 10:30-37 

Jesus replied, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him and departed, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road, and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was, and when he saw him, he had compassion. He went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he set him on his own animal and brought him to an inn and took care of him. ...

Proverbs 12:15 

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.

James 1:19 

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;

Ephesians 4:15-16 

Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

Matthew 5:1-7:29 

Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. ...

Daniel 1:17 

As for these four youths, God gave them learning and skill in all literature and wisdom, and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.

Jeremiah 31:3 

The Lord appeared to him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.

Ecclesiastes 7:21-22 

Do not take to heart all the things that people say, lest you hear your servant cursing you. Your heart knows that many times you yourself have cursed others.

Proverbs 18:13 

If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame.

Proverbs 9:7 

Whoever corrects a scoffer gets himself abuse, and he who reproves a wicked man incurs injury.

Psalm 22:1-31 

To the choirmaster: according to The Doe of the Dawn. A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest. Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. In you our fathers trusted; they trusted, and you delivered them. To you they cried and were rescued; in you they trusted and were not put to shame. ...

2 Peter 3:9 

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

Titus 2:7-8 

Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.

2 Corinthians 12:20 

For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish—that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder.

Acts 17:11 

Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Matthew 5:37 

Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.

Proverbs 16:7 

When a man's ways please the Lord, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Deuteronomy 18:1-22 

“The Levitical priests, all the tribe of Levi, shall have no portion or inheritance with Israel. They shall eat the Lord's food offerings as their inheritance. They shall have no inheritance among their brothers; the Lord is their inheritance, as he promised them. And this shall be the priests' due from the people, from those offering a sacrifice, whether an ox or a sheep: they shall give to the priest the shoulder and the two cheeks and the stomach. The firstfruits of your grain, of your wine and of your oil, and the first fleece of your sheep, you shall give him. For the Lord your God has chosen him out of all your tribes to stand and minister in the name of the Lord, him and his sons for all time. ...

Deuteronomy 1:16-17 

And I charged your judges at that time, ‘Hear the cases between your brothers, and judge righteously between a man and his brother or the alien who is with him. You shall not be partial in judgment. You shall hear the small and the great alike. You shall not be intimidated by anyone, for the judgment is God's. And the case that is too hard for you, you shall bring to me, and I will hear it.’

1 Peter 4:14

If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.

James 5:9 

Do not grumble against one another, brothers, so that you may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing at the door.

Titus 3:2 

To speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

1 Corinthians 13:8 

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.

1 Corinthians 1:1-31 

Paul, called by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and our brother Sosthenes, To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus, that in every way you were enriched in him in all speech and all knowledge— ...

Proverbs 22:1-29 

A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold. The rich and the poor meet together; the Lord is the maker of them all. The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it. The reward for humility and fear of the Lord is riches and honor and life. Thorns and snares are in the way of the crooked; whoever guards his soul will keep far from them. ...

1 Peter 3:1-22 

Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, ...

James 1:12 

Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

1 Corinthians 14:26 

What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.

1 Corinthians 2:14 

The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

Matthew 18:15-19 

“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.

Ecclesiastes 5:3 

For a dream comes with much business, and a fool's voice with many words.

Ecclesiastes 5:2-3 

Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few. For a dream comes with much business, and a fool's voice with many words.

Proverbs 30:17 

The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures.

Proverbs 29:1-27 

He who is often reproved, yet stiffens his neck, will suddenly be broken beyond healing. When the righteous increase, the people rejoice, but when the wicked rule, the people groan. He who loves wisdom makes his father glad, but a companion of prostitutes squanders his wealth. By justice a king builds up the land, but he who exacts gifts tears it down. A man who flatters his neighbor spreads a net for his feet. ...

Proverbs 18:2 

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.

Job 15:3 

Should he argue in unprofitable talk, or in words with which he can do no good?

1 Samuel 2:3

Talk no more so very proudly, let not arrogance come from your mouth; for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.

1 Timothy 6:4-5 

He is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.

Proverbs 10:14

The wise lay up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool brings ruin near.

https://www.openbible.info/topics/arguing

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Oh yeah,,,,what are you trying to say!!!!!!  just kidding-lol

Blessings Dear Sister,,,,

These are amongst my favorites & time & time again we can see we simply should not partake of such foolishness,my all time favorite is,....

James 1:19 

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;

Love you Sis,Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/18/1868

sometimes we forget that we cant argue some one into a change of mind. The Holy Spirit is the only on that can really change a persons heart and mind--- everyone is right in their own eyes- if need be state your thesis once then leave it alone

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

With reference to a wise man, Scripture says: Should he reason with unprofitable talk? or with speeches wherewith he can do no good? (Job 15:3).

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

I do not see why we should argue regarding so many views of Scripture. There should not be anything to argue about. There is only one way to interpret Scripture and that should be literally. We should all be on the same page.

mp3speaker.gifBible literal

Question: "Can / Should we interpret the Bible as literal?"

Answer:
Not only can we take the Bible literally, but we must take the Bible literally. This is the only way to determine what God really is trying to communicate to us. When we read any piece of literature, but especially the Bible, we must determine what the author intended to communicate. Many today will read a verse or passage of Scripture and then give their own definitions to the words, phrases, or paragraphs, ignoring the context and author’s intent. But this is not what God intended, which is why God tells us to correctly handle the Word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).

One reason we should take the Bible literally is because the Lord Jesus Christ took it literally. Whenever the Lord Jesus quoted from the Old Testament, it was always clear that He believed in its literal interpretation. As an example, when Jesus was tempted by Satan in Luke 4, He answered by quoting the Old Testament. If God’s commands in Deuteronomy 8:3, 6:13, and 6:16 were not literal, Jesus would not have used them and they would have been powerless to stop Satan’s mouth, which they certainly did.

The disciples also took the commands of Christ (which are part of the Bible) literally. Jesus commanded the disciples to go and make more disciples in Matthew 28:19-20. In Acts 2 and following, we find that the disciples took Jesus' command literally and went throughout the known world of that time preaching the gospel of Christ and telling them to "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31). Just as the disciples took Jesus’ words literally, so must we. How else can we be sure of our salvation if we do not believe Him when He says He came to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10), pay the penalty for our sin (Matthew 26:28), and provide eternal life (John 6:54)?

Although we take the Bible literally, there are still figures of speech within its pages. An example of a figure of speech would be that if someone said "it is raining cats and dogs outside," you would know that they did not really mean that cats and dogs were falling from the sky. They would mean it is raining really hard. There are figures of speech in the Bible which are not to be taken literally, but those are obvious. (See Psalm 17:8 for example.)

Finally, when we make ourselves the final arbiters of which parts of the Bible are to be interpreted literally, we elevate ourselves above God. Who is to say, then, that one person’s interpretation of a biblical event or truth is any more or less valid than another’s? The confusion and distortions that would inevitably result from such a system would essentially render the Scriptures null and void. The Bible is God’s Word to us and He meant it to be believed—literally and completely.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-literal.html

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,823
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, bopeep1909 said:

I do not see why we should argue regarding so many views of Scripture. There should not be anything to argue about. There is only one way to interpret Scripture and that should be literally. We should all be on the same page

:P Not to be "argumentative" with you or the writers as gotquestions.org - HA! - but not everything in the Bible is literal.  The Bible is the literal truth but contains much figurative language and much that cannot be taken at face value and without context.  Jesus said that he wanted to take Jerusalem "under his wing" as a "hen".  That doesn't mean Jesus is a chicken.

As a moderator at another forum, I'm dealing with a young man who takes isolated scriptures literally and out of context.  He blames God for him not having his "dream job" and says that he is angry at God.  He just cited to me yesterday about 20 verses that taken literally would seem that God is to be our Cosmic Butler.  I've have to coach him down from that "literally give me everything I want" mindset.

For example, he said that Paul said that "God will supply all your need according to his riches in Christ Jesus" and that should mean that God should give him financial success. He is taking that TOO literally and without studying the entire passage too what those needs are.

Edited by Jayne

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Arguing get's us nowhere.  It can lead to anger, bitterness and nothing is ever solved.  We can disagree and still love that person.  If we are truly in Christ we can always see another point of view without having to agree with it.   Remember how we have been loved by Jesus. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

27 minutes ago, Jayne said:

:P Not to be "argumentative" with you or the writers as gotquestions.org - HA! - but not everything in the Bible is literal.  The Bible is the literal truth but contains much figurative language and much that cannot be taken at face value and without context.  Jesus said that he wanted to take Jerusalem "under his wing" as a "hen".  That doesn't mean Jesus is a chicken.

As a moderator at another forum, I'm dealing with a young man who takes isolated scriptures literally and out of context.  He blames God for him not having his "dream job" and says that he is angry at God.  He just cited to me yesterday about 20 verses that taken literally would seem that God is to be our Cosmic Butler.  I've have to coach him down from that "literally give me everything I want" mindset.

For example, he said that Paul said that "God will supply all your need according to his riches in Christ Jesus" and that should mean that God should give him financial success. He is taking that TOO literally and without studying the entire passage too what those needs are.

There are figures of speech which "Got Questions talks about"

"Although we take the Bible literally, there are still figures of speech within its pages. An example of a figure of speech would be that if someone said "it is raining cats and dogs outside," you would know that they did not really mean that cats and dogs were falling from the sky. They would mean it is raining really hard. There are figures of speech in the Bible which are not to be taken literally, but those are obvious."

The Words in the Bible need to be studied with Bible scholars if a person does not understand a particular passage. That Bible scholar needs to have excellent theology skills. That does not mean that this scholar should be giving the Holy Words of God in the Bible his own meaning. It means that this Bible Scholar should not be spiritualizing Scripture and allegorizing Scripture. That will allow the believer to stumble and fall with those false interpretations. That is a dangerous place to be in as a person who is teaching God's Word. And this is good advise for someone who says they are a moderator on a Christian Forum.

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Amen to all of you who replied ,I believe it's good to wait a minute before we post to read if it's uplifting  and we correct in love,if the other person does not accept correcting,just let it be,you did your job to tell him or her the truth.'

Arguing about it is the last thing we do,it's the job of the Holy Spirit to convict , not ours .

But we do have to address false teaching for what it is~~

Been there done that and praying I will be more patient with people~~~

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Listen much...speak little...love covers a multitude of sins