JohnD

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.67
  • Days Won:  25

Because they are high profile cases you have to make sure all your ducks are in a row.  This sort of case is not put together in a month, the amount of work by the law team prior to filing is why they always seemed delayed. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

15 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

I agree John, it is a real problem.   Billy Graham would never to meet, eat, or travel alone with a woman other than his wife.  I heard this from my future father-in-law and took it to heart.  Initially it was truly because I did not trust myself to be strong enough in the face of temptation.  Later in life it was to avoid accusations that would be hard to defend against. 

That is true about Billy Graham.  He and male members of his team would not even get into an elevator with a woman unless she was with her husband.  He wanted to make sure there was never any questions hanging in the air.  

I am blessed I never experienced it.  But I have a friend who just opens herself up to so many dangerous things, like giving her phone number to a total stranger she met in Walmart.  She has had so many men in her life that have hurt her, physically, emotionally and every other way.  She is now much better and has learned to walk away from things like that.  Since my husband I am so careful, Steve taught me to be cautious and not take any risks.  When in doubt girls, walk away.

Blessings RustyAngeL 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

11 hours ago, JohnD said:

Didn't say it wasn't. Came out against it.

Don't think it is something to be profited from either.

I think you're defending a position that I agree with, John. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  20

4 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Why is it that so many of these high profile sexual harassment cases get filed years after the event??

Actually, that question has occurred to me also.  The normal response to any crime is to report it immediately.  Therefore it would appear that there are other motives involved, not simply getting justice.

We should also keep in mind that a double-standard is being applied in many cases.  If it suits, its sweet.  If it doesn't it's harassment, depending on which hormones are at work.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

5 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Complimenting a woman on her dress could be a form of harassment.  If you tend to compliment everyone on their attire when deserved, both men and women then it would not be a problem.  I had a fellow employee that did not do it that way, the only one's he ever complimented were the attractive women, and normally only when they had more skin showing than normal.  

I never said that the assessment on that test could not be a form of sexual harassment, it was their assertions that is always is, that was disturbing. I think your contention that if you treat everyone similarly, has merit. However, a failure to do so, does prove a person's intentions nor even indicate that there is a problem at hand. If a person is not as attractive in appearance to one person's tastes as another, they may not single a person out for a complement for that reason, yet having nothing to do with unwanted sexual attention. 

I like cars that have bright, warm colors, and roof-lines 45 inches and lower to the ground, and on that basis, I would not tell a person with a white pickup truck, that they have an attractive car, it is not to my tastes. Similarly, if my tastes tend more toward a young woman in an evening gown that a balding man with hairy arms in the same gown, yes, that is a form of discrimination, but it is not sexual harassment to complement one person but not the other.

It is a shame, that we have become such busy-bodies and whiny wimps, that we cannot chose to offer a compliment to another person, on their selection of clothing without wondering if some lawyer smells a payday coming, when they choose to interpret the intentions of others as some act of sexual intent.

Not every man is a predator any more than every white person is a racist, and it would sure be nice, if we could just worry more about outward actions, instead of speculating about the intentions of a person's heart.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

17 hours ago, Out of the Shadows said:

I agree John, it is a real problem.   Billy Graham would never to meet, eat, or travel alone with a woman other than his wife.  I heard this from my future father-in-law and took it to heart.  Initially it was truly because I did not trust myself to be strong enough in the face of temptation.  Later in life it was to avoid accusations that would be hard to defend against. 

Yes, I read that Billy Graham and two of his very good friends that he went through his Ministry with decided from the start that they would never be alone with a woman other than their wives.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

13 hours ago, JohnD said:

there is an old crude expression "not interested, we've already seen up that skirt"

I found that line interesting, because I have never heard that "old expression".

It got me curious enough to wonder, how such an old expression escaped my notice, so, I did a Google search on the phrase. As it turns out, the phrase is quoted a total of one time in Google's database, and that quote was attributed to some guy named JohnD.

Interesting.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Why is it that so many of these high profile sexual harassment cases get filed years after the event??         posted by Shiloh

3 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

What do they say? "Bad publicity is better than no publicity at all",,,,seems a bit past due,one must consider the source,the timing,the big picture?

Perhaps in some cases at the time of the event the person is traumatized, afraid, and embarrassed to say anything about it... maybe it comes out years later when they have had a chance to heal and gathered some strength... sometimes it just takes one person speaking out against someone that gives others hurt by the same person the courage to speak out with them and isn't necessarily just jumping on the bandwagon of publicity.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

7 minutes ago, seraph said:

Perhaps in some cases at the time of the event the person is traumatized, afraid, and embarrassed to say anything about it... maybe it comes out years later when they have had a chance to heal and gathered some strength... sometimes it just takes one person speaking out against someone that gives others hurt by the same person the courage to speak out with them and isn't necessarily just jumping on the bandwagon of publicity.

Yes, I will agree with that. And if that lady has anything negative in her past at all the authorities will dig it up and point a finger at her.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,656
  • Content Per Day:  2.02

If I came across in any way as opposing the victims, I assure you that was never my intention.

My aim was at those who intentionally capitalize on sexual abuse or sexual harassment for whatever benefit other than getting the monsters locked up and away from other potential victims. 

Those who capitalize on this and those who (come out of the woodwork only in their defense) IMHO make it harder on other victims.

And those who fraudulently cry sexual harassment (and it does happen) ought to do jail time IMHO.