• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:22 PM, Davida said:

(Proverbs 22:24 -- Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man thou shalt not go: )

Our friendships should be with those who build us up. Now, that said we are also called to love our enemies though right? Didn't Jesus spend a lot of time with sinners?     GE to Kwik

I have to disagree respectfully Golden Eagle,  with this interpretation. I take Proverbs & the Bible as literal advice & I personally don't expand on it.  - It says "do not make friendship with an angry man , do not go with a furious man."  Because I'm thinking that , an angry man always finds trouble.  It's not about being around people who 'build us up' , I don't think the Bible is directing this about friendships how to be fulfilled. Personally , I think only being focused upon serving God & giving God glory & honoring HIM in our lives can nourish us.

(Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.)

Be a part of true, honest, just, pure, and good things. Avoid negativity then? GE to Kwik

I agree we should try to be positive, encouraging, edifying. Yet don't negative people need Jesus too? Don't Believers who are down or see the cup as half empty need encouragement too?  GE to Kwik

Imho, again this is saying literally only about our thoughts -  It is saying --Man, watch your own  thoughts  and keep them in check , renew your mind and refocus it on whatsoever is GOOD, is LOVELY, is VIRTUOUS, if there be ANY PRAISE --fill your mind with those things!  In my experience our thoughts always precede our emotions, our attitudes and our moods.  This verse is saying Nothing about others , or avoiding "negative" people. It is saying  ---"Hey!  You there ! ... yes YOU, .. watch the thoughts you think and keep them from  dwelling on negativity. Changing your thoughts changes your  attitude and outlook -  Praise GOD,  Delight in the Lord..."

@Davida Hiya! :) 

Re: Proverbs 22:24 and my comments on this post here.

You may be right and I could certainly be in error here. I guess I take the Proverbs as general nuggets of wisdom to be measured against the whole of Scripture in the spirit of 2 Peter 1:20. So how will an angry man or woman come to know Jesus if we don't befriend him or her? How will we show love to our neighbors if we only love those who love us in return? See Luke 6:32-36 or Matthew 5:46-48

Re: Philippians 4:8

Again you may be right I could certainly be in error here. I was trying to understand @kwikphilly's perspective on this passage as well as understand how it related to boundaries here on this post.

The Bible speaks primarily about controlling ourselves (self-control, your thoughts, your actions, etc.) and not others would you agree? I would agree that the passage is primarily talking about our own thoughts. Something I've been trying to discuss in another thread with @Butero here in this thread.

I'm thankful to God that Christ is working with the Holy Spirit to conform me to Himself. :thumbsup: 

Sorry for the delayed response it's been a hectic couple weeks!

God bless,
GE

Was it to control (determine the behavior or supervise the running of) or to guide (show or indicate the way to someone) them? I think they're two very different approaches to leadership.

Ephesians 4 comes to mind about equipping the saints for the work of the ministry. Notice the purpose of apostles, prophets, evangelists, shepherds, teachers, etc. is not to control but to equip?

Eph 4:11-16
11 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds[c] and teachers,[d] 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, 14 so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. 15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

God bless,

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,119
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

25 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

Was it to control (determine the behavior or supervise the running of) or to guide (show or indicate the way to someone) them? I think they're two very different approaches to leadership.

I agree, but if you look at the world's population as a whole, way too many really can't/wont be guided

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  57
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

Hiya Dok! :) 

Was this a general comment or specifically to someone on this thread?

I do agree that absent of truth our boundaries may become muddy. I agree we have the mind of Christ and Holy Spirit guiding us to truth! :thumbsup: 

I really liked your ideas here regarding your formula. I think sometimes our own experiences or frame of reference influence our responses too.

WDo / mT + mE ---> mR

So I'd add my experiences to your formula. What do you think?

Thanks for jumping in on the discussion!

God bless,

GE

I've been "out of pocket" for a while.......... I like your formula. I was offering a general comment not directed to any person in particular. 

Edited by Dok

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

11 minutes ago, Butero said:

It is to control them.  The Bible isn't a book of suggestions on how we are to do things. 

I think control is man made theory of authority, derived from our own desire to feel powerful, or better than, (sin) verses humbling oneself to be a servant in a position of authority, where the authority is only to guide, to benefit the ones under authority,  Please explain where we are directed to control another person, verses controlling ourselves.  

27 minutes ago, Butero said:

It is to control them.  The Bible isn't a book of suggestions on how we are to do things. 

I think it's best to stick with what Jesus explicitly taught. Beyond that, its up for discussion. And really Jesus seemed to stick with principles, not particular standards. "Love as I have loved you", not "Don't own slaves". etc.  for example. 

God bless, Ge

11 minutes ago, hmbld said:

I think control is man made theory of authority, derived from our own desire to feel powerful, or better than, (sin) verses humbling oneself to be a servant in a position of authority, where the authority is only to guide, to benefit the ones under authority,  Please explain where we are directed to control another person, verses controlling ourselves.  

I've been asking that for a while now too… 

Instead of specifics in the Bible there are vague references and opinions given so far.

God bless,

Ge

58 minutes ago, Butero said:

I gave a whole list of examples of where the church is to control members.  I disagree with you that this is just guidelines.  The Bible never says that.  It clearly states how things are to be, and the liberal church of today has corrupted scripture and makes out like rules are suggestions. 

What list are you talking about? 

53 minutes ago, Butero said:

That is an outright lie.  The Bible gives specific statements of how we are to do things.  There is nothing vague about it.  This kind of garbage is what is wrong with the church today.  People claim to follow scripture, but they deny we must really follow it as written. 

A lot of what is in the Bible is open to interpretation. See this discussion on the subject. 

God bless,
GE

On September 16, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Butero said:

I am speaking of all those scriptures about orderly worship, qualifications for offices, and what we can eat.  Much of the Bible is very plain.  It is only open to interpretation in the eyes of those who go out of the way to go away from the plain meaning to make all regulations null and void. 

There are no passages referenced in this thread regarding orderly worship, qualifications for offices, etc. that's why Hmbld and I are confused...

This thread is about boundaries and your first post was about 6 hours ago. The other thread is about control here

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

I was getting confused as well,glad that y'all mentioned there is another Thread on the Topic of "Control"

Funny thing is that they really do go hand in hand,where there are set "boundaries" we must exercise "control" to keep within them......Jesus said "IF you Love Me you will follow my commandments" (John 14:15)       Loving the One Who Abides in us & submitting to His Lordship is what it is all about,it is Holy Spirit we must be totally dependent on ....we are accountable for our own words & actions,we cannot control anyone elses but we most certainly have control over our own by His Power........I believe every word Jesus spoke to us is a commandment ,even when He says "Do not worry"   "Fear not"    "Do not partake" etc,,,etc,,,    All His commandments are Boundaries ...the Christian lives within these boundaries & it is not difficult to do because we have the Heart & Mind of Christ     "I can do ALL things in Christ Who Strengthens me"                     Glory to God!

With love-in Christ,Kwik