• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

What is the difference in feelings and emotions?

Feelings Emotions
Feelings tell us “how to live.” Emotions tell us what we “like” and “dislike.”
Feelings state: “There is a right and wrong way to be.” Emotions state: “There are good and bad actions.”
Feelings state: “Your emotions matter. Emotions state: “The external world matters.
Feelings establish our long term attitude toward reality. Emotions establish our initial attitude toward reality.
Feelings alert us to anticipated dangers and prepares us for action. Emotion alert us to immediate dangers and prepares us for action
Feelings ensure long-term survival of self. (body and mind.) Emotions ensure immediate survival of self. (body and mind.)
Feelings are low-key but sustainable. Emotions are intense but temporary.
Happiness is a feeling. Joy is an emotion.
Worry is a feeling. Fear is an emotion.
Contentment is a feeling. Enthusiasm is an emotion.
Bitterness is a feeling. Anger is an emotion.
Love is a feeling. Lust is an emotion.

http://www.laughteronlineuniversity.com/feelings-vs-emotions/

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

6 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:
Feelings Emotions
Feelings tell us “how to live.” Emotions tell us what we “like” and “dislike.”
Feelings state: “There is a right and wrong way to be.” Emotions state: “There are good and bad actions.”
Feelings state: “Your emotions matter. Emotions state: “The external world matters.
Feelings establish our long term attitude toward reality. Emotions establish our initial attitude toward reality.
Feelings alert us to anticipated dangers and prepares us for action. Emotion alert us to immediate dangers and prepares us for action
Feelings ensure long-term survival of self. (body and mind.) Emotions ensure immediate survival of self. (body and mind.)
Feelings are low-key but sustainable. Emotions are intense but temporary.
Happiness is a feeling. Joy is an emotion.
Worry is a feeling. Fear is an emotion.
Contentment is a feeling. Enthusiasm is an emotion.
Bitterness is a feeling. Anger is an emotion.
Love is a feeling. Lust is an emotion.

http://www.laughteronlineuniversity.com/feelings-vs-emotions/

19 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

It is not a perfect list and I am sure we could find things we don't agree with.  I will admit I always thought of love as the emotion and not the feelling.   

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

I will admit I always thought of love as the emotion and not the feelling.                                                         OotS

Sounds about right:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

Love is neither a feeling, nor an emotion.   People confuse love with affection.

Then what is love?   

I have affection for my cat, I have love for my wife and children.  There is no confusion at all.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

I have affection for my cat, I have love for my wife and children.  There is no confusion at all.

:24:

Christ didn't die for us because of feelings or emotions; were that the case, He would have fled at the Garden of Gethsemane. When you are the Son of God, you don't sweat blood over something such as the prospect of mere physical pain. He faced the one thing God did not know personally: being separated from the Father by becoming sin on the cross for us and taking what should have been our  punishment.

Yet, Jesus did so anyways.

Being God, He so loved the world  that He died for us, not wanting any to perish but that all should come to repentance. At Gethsemane, Jesus asked if there was any other way, but was willing to do the Father's will regardless. Jesus didn't feel like dying on a rough-hewn cross, nor did any of His "emotions" indicate that He wanted to. But love is more than a feeling or an emotion: love is caring for someone's greatest good, especially when it costs you.  It's why you wake up at night to hold a colicky baby; it's why you stay up with your kids when they are sick and you're exhausted from a long day; it's why you care for an elderly parent even though it drains you, and it's why you hug your wife when she just got through exploding and crying about something that happened while you were at work that you have no idea of.

Paul said in Scripture:

"Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." (1 Corinthians 13:4-7, NASB, emphasis mine)

By necessity, love is more than emotion and feelings; those things are what God equipped us with to help relate with one another. However, they are not the source of love, nor can they be. Were it otherwise, God would have been done with this planet a long time ago.

Edited by RobertS

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Then what is love?   

ROFL  Let hope not!

Guest shiloh357

Then what is love?   

Yeah, that is pretty confused.

Love is what you do, not what you feel.   In our society "love" songs say things like, "I want you, I need you, I can' live without you."  That is filled with emotion, but it is not love.  It is selfishness.  

Love is operative nature.  It will effect your emotions, but it not an emotion.  Love is rooted in action. 

If a young man has a girlfriend and she likes to eat at a particular restaurant, but they always eat at his favorite spot, if she likes roses, but he brings her carnations, if she likes gold jewelry, but he brings her silver (and this analogy assumes his ability to do what she likes), how long can that pattern continue until she begins to figure out that he doesn't really love her, no matter how many times he says that he does?

Love is not about how I feel, but about what I can do for someone else.  Love, real love, only always wants what makes for someone else's highest good and will work, give and sacrifice to make that happen.   Affection is what we feel.  Love is what we do.  Affection minus love is useless.

Even in the Bible, love is not rooted in emotion, but where God is concerned, love is rooted in obedience.  The Hebrew word for love, ahavah, is a verb, not a noun.  Even in the NT, Agapeo, the NT corollary to ahavah, is also a verb.   Love is an action word, not a feeling word.