• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Yeah, that is pretty confused.

Love is what you do, not what you feel.   In our society "love" songs say things like, "I want you, I need you, I can' live without you."  That is filled with emotion, but it is not love.  It is selfishness.  

Love is operative nature.  It will effect your emotions, but it not an emotion.  Love is rooted in action. 

If a young man has a girlfriend and she likes to eat at a particular restaurant, but they always eat at his favorite spot, if she likes roses, but he brings her carnations, if she likes gold jewelry, but he brings her silver (and this analogy assumes his ability to do what she likes), how long can that pattern continue until she begins to figure out that he doesn't really love her, no matter how many times he says that he does?

Love is not about how I feel, but about what I can do for someone else.  Love, real love, only always wants what makes for someone else's highest good and will work, give and sacrifice to make that happen.   Affection is what we feel.  Love is what we do.  Affection minus love is useless.

Even in the Bible, love is not rooted in emotion, but where God is concerned, love is rooted in obedience.  The Hebrew word for love, ahavah, is a verb, not a noun.  Even in the NT, Agapeo, the NT corollary to ahavah, is also a verb.   Love is an action word, not a feeling word.

Love is both, an action and a feeling.  Trust me I know what affection feels like and I know what love feels like, they are not the same thing. Perhaps the lack of a spouse or children makes it harder for you to grasp that love is both a feeling and an action.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

45 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Since this website is based on false evolutionary presuppositions, it would be best ignore it and look for something more substantial.  

The only possible difference between feelings and emotions is duration. Feelings may be fleeting, and emotions may be more lasting. However, for the Christian, there are other criteria on which to base decisions. 

Let's take the example of salvation.  Someone tells you "I don't FEEL that I am saved".  How do you respond? Salvation is based upon (1) the FACTS  of the Gospel and (2) FAITH in God and in Christ.  

When we examine the conversion of Saul of Tarsus to Paul the Apostle, there is no record of any feelings. Instead there were specific actions which showed that Paul had turned around completely.

While feelings may or may not follow, the fact is that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, and rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, for our justification. If a sinner simply believes this, and turns away from his sins, He SHALL be saved.

And they said, Believe [FAITH] on the Lord Jesus Christ [FACT], and thou shalt be saved [FACT], and thy house. (Acts 16:31).

• Group:  Royal Member *

2 minutes ago, Davida said:

I agree, we look in  the Bible God's love is not based upon emotional feeling it seems it is rather a decision to express this action of  love, which puts the other first and is steadfast not based upon reciprocity. As I God's love for the Jews and Israel I never wavers.

The Bible tells us that God IS love, so no God's love is not based upon emotion, but we are not God, we are not Love, and our love is based upon who we are

Guest shiloh357
18 minutes ago, Davida said:

"feelings tell us how to live" ? I question that opinion and  philosophy.  

Feelings also  tell abusive people to act out their "feelings" and beat their spouses and children.

Yes if feelings or emotions tell us how to live, should we be telling ISIS to "listen to their heart?"  Do we want terrorist groups guided by their feelings about the west?

People make a lot of self-destructive decisions by listening to their emotions and feelings.  Drug users, alcoholics, adulterers, impulsive people listen to their hearts and are guided by their emotions and they end up paying a very heavy price. 

Guest shiloh357
3 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

Love is both, an action and a feeling.  Trust me I know what affection feels like and I know what love feels like, they are not the same thing. Perhaps the lack of a spouse or children makes it harder for you to grasp that love is both a feeling and an action.

No, they are not the same.  Love effects emotion, but the feeling is affection. 

1 minute ago, shiloh357 said:

No, they are not the same.  Love effects emotion, but the feeling is affection. 

Just add this to the list of things we will have to agree to disagree on.

Guest shiloh357
4 minutes ago, Out of the Shadows said:

The Bible tells us that God IS love, so no God's love is not based upon emotion, but we are not God, we are not Love, and our love is based upon who we are

Nope, that is not how it works.  It is the love of God that we are to emulate and it is the love of God that is shed abroad in our hearts.  Love is one of God communicable attributes and it is never based on emotion even when expressed by us.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

35 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Love is neither a feeling, nor an emotion.   People confuse love with affection.

I disagree.  I loved my husband for 25 years.  It most certainly  was a feeling and an emotion an action.

Blessings, RustyAngeL

4 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Yes if feelings or emotions tell us how to live, should we be telling ISIS to "listen to their heart?"  Do we want terrorist groups guided by their feelings about the west?

People make a lot of self-destructive decisions by listening to their emotions and feelings.  Drug users, alcoholics, adulterers, impulsive people listen to their hearts and are guided by their emotions and they end up paying a very heavy price. 

And feelings and emotions are also what cause a  man to jump on a grenade to save his fellow soldier or to rush a machine gun nest to save his platoon.  They are what drove all those first responder to run into the Twin Towers to try and save people they didn't even know. 

Feelings lead to art and literature and more.  None of these things are possible without feelings

Guest shiloh357
Just now, RustyAngeL said:

I disagree.  I loved my husband for 25 years.  It most certainly  was a feeling and an emotion an action.

Blessings, 

The emotion is affection.  Thats' what you feel.   Love, even in the Bible is only an action.  It is only expressed in action.