Obeying the voice of the Holy Spirit  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How can you tell that you have disappointed the Holy Spirit?

• I feel troubled in my spirit.
    • I don't feel His presence in worship.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

On 03/12/2016 at 10:47 PM, Marilyn C said:

Hi mabel,

We can all be that - stubborn. it is the default position of the flesh - it wants what it wants when it wants. However....as we learn to listen & cooperate with God`s Holy Spirit, then we see the benefits & are much more eager to learn.

`I will instruct you & teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with my eye. Do not be like the horse or like the mule, which have no understanding, which must be harnessed with bit & bridle else they will not come near you.` (Ps. 32: 8 & 9)

`Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly of heart, and you will find rest fro your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.` (Matt. 11: 29 & 30)

I so love that - gentle & lowly of heart - rest for your souls - burden light. We so give ourselves a hard time, but God desires to teach us & He is very patient. I suggest the difference between your anxiety (etc) & God`s voice, nudging, is .......restless waves or calm - take some time to see which choice gives what result.

Marilyn.

thanks Marilyn

lol for me its mostly anxiety driven cant seem to get off that round- about i just end up feeling shattered and brittle which is where i am tonight not quite overwhelmed and running on reserves and the oil light is flickering. God will need to do a parting of the waves frequently enough so that i get the hang of not being anxious!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,202
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

18 minutes ago, existential mabel said:

thanks Marilyn

lol for me its mostly anxiety driven cant seem to get off that round- about i just end up feeling shattered and brittle which is where i am tonight not quite overwhelmed and running on reserves and the oil light is flickering. God will need to do a parting of the waves frequently enough so that i get the hang of not being anxious!

Hi mabel,

Oh so we are on at the same time, well it`s your `tonight ` & my `this morning.` Oh wish I was there to be with you & to share a cuppa & share the load. However I do feel for you as `anxiety` is due to fear, & I think your greatest fear is concerning your dad. Is that right? Our heavenly Father has your father in His hands & loves Him even more than you do. We still care for our loved ones even when we `hand them over to our heavenly Father.` It doesn`t mean we don`t care & are not concerned it just means that the difficulty (life) is too much for us & that we believe our heavenly Father is there looking after our earthly father.

Does that make sense?

your friend, Marilyn.

10 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi mabel,

Oh so we are on at the same time, well it`s your `tonight ` & my `this morning.` Oh wish I was there to be with you & to share a cuppa & share the load. However I do feel for you as `anxiety` is due to fear, & I think your greatest fear is concerning your dad. Is that right? Our heavenly Father has your father in His hands & loves Him even more than you do. We still care for our loved ones even when we `hand them over to our heavenly Father.` It doesn`t mean we don`t care & are not concerned it just means that the difficulty (life) is too much for us & that we believe our heavenly Father is there looking after our earthly father.

Does that make sense?

your friend, Marilyn.

Eeeh by gum synchronised posting hey. Good morning!! Yep its 20:25 here. The anxiety is a life long thing but yeah reg my dad its tough as its ongoing. And with anxiety it gets to such a point that I really need to be on my own to process it and I am not able to do this this year. So this is new ground and very hard going it is too.

Thanks yeah a cuppa together would be nice ..just finished drinking one. bit of a chain drinker of tea at times lol

Fear  and/or oblivion has been my two constant things but like I say I cant do my own thing and this is set to continue. Which is why this forum has been so helpful having to find a different way.

Yes it makes sense Marilyn but it  seeing my dad in constant discomfort is really getting to me. one of my brothers broke down in front of my dad last week so far i have managed not to do this

4 minutes ago, existential mabel said:

Eeeh by gum synchronised posting hey. Good morning!! Yep its 20:25 here. The anxiety is a life long thing but yeah reg my dad its tough as its ongoing. And with anxiety it gets to such a point that I really need to be on my own to process it and I am not able to do this this year. So this is new ground and very hard going it is too.

Thanks yeah a cuppa together would be nice ..just finished drinking one. bit of a chain drinker of tea at times lol

Fear  and/or oblivion has been my two constant things but like I say I cant do my own thing and this is set to continue. Which is why this forum has been so helpful having to find a different way.

Yes it makes sense Marilyn but it  seeing my dad in constant discomfort is really getting to me. one of my brothers broke down in front of my dad last week so far i have managed not to do this

Hi mabel,

I had my morning cuppa coffee to wake up, & now I`m into the herbal tea - lemon & ginger. Yes it`s good to be able to talk through our difficulties. I do appreciate people on this forum too. So sorry about your dad, we`ll all continue to keep him & your family in our prayers.

Do you know what you are fearful of? And `oblivion,` why is that? Only if you want to talk & share.

Marilyn. 

2 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi mabel,

I had my morning cuppa coffee to wake up, & now I`m into the herbal tea - lemon & ginger. Yes it`s good to be able to talk through our difficulties. I do appreciate people on this forum too. So sorry about your dad, we`ll all continue to keep him & your family in our prayers.

Do you know what you are fearful of? And `oblivion,` why is that? Only if you want to talk & share.

Marilyn. 

fearful of so much that it doesnt make sense. tried over the years to stop doing this. 0blivion is what my bro calls the devils juice funny that but it no longer obliterates stuff . so maybe i could take up chewing me nails instead! some peeps might say i have the spirit of fear in me who knows for sure i just know i have never been able to shake it off.

2 minutes ago, existential mabel said:

fearful of so much that it doesnt make sense. tried over the years to stop doing this. 0blivion is what my bro calls the devils juice funny that but it no longer obliterates stuff . so maybe i could take up chewing me nails instead! some peeps might say i have the spirit of fear in me who knows for sure i just know i have never been able to shake it off.

Well Mabel,

We are having a great time following each other round the forum. Seems like we are playing chasey. (lol)

Can`t even imagine how that would feel, fearful of so much, but my heart goes out to you. It must be that the `baddies,` are bigger than the `goodies,` if you know what I mean. So to me it is a matter of getting reality - building up a better understanding of God & how He takes us through difficulties till eventually we are with Him.

We often want the world all fixed up, like yesterday, but God is taking us through things to make us stronger & learn to trust Him. Imagine if your dad did everything for you all your life, dressed you, spooned the food into your mouth, pushed you along in a pram all your life, where would we be, but childish. So it is in our inner life. We need to learn to grow up, bit by bit.

Just work on one thing at a time. Actually over the time I have known you here on the forum I have seen you become stronger, at times, and so I believe as you keep going you will even surprise yourself as to how far you are growing. (mixed metaphor there0

Anyway, we`re with you & praying about that `spirit of fear.` "Be gone in the name of Jesus.`

Marilyn. 

7 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Well Mabel,

We are having a great time following each other round the forum. Seems like we are playing chasey. (lol)

Can`t even imagine how that would feel, fearful of so much, but my heart goes out to you. It must be that the `baddies,` are bigger than the `goodies,` if you know what I mean. So to me it is a matter of getting reality - building up a better understanding of God & how He takes us through difficulties till eventually we are with Him.

We often want the world all fixed up, like yesterday, but God is taking us through things to make us stronger & learn to trust Him. Imagine if your dad did everything for you all your life, dressed you, spooned the food into your mouth, pushed you along in a pram all your life, where would we be, but childish. So it is in our inner life. We need to learn to grow up, bit by bit.

Just work on one thing at a time. Actually over the time I have known you here on the forum I have seen you become stronger, at times, and so I believe as you keep going you will even surprise yourself as to how far you are growing. (mixed metaphor there0

Anyway, we`re with you & praying about that `spirit of fear.` "Be gone in the name of Jesus.`

Marilyn. 

Eeh I am not usually around at this time but I needed to unwind .  each night i keep God in my thoughts as it seems i am in a sea of turmoil, just hope the bed stays afloat! oh dear the dry humour again!

Growing in the inner life is what I need to do now , childhood was not a brill time as indeed it aint for most folk wish we could skip that process and come to earth as an adult would save all that unhappiness ..zip

Many thanks reg the prayer

Ah yes so have I disappointed the Holy Spirit? more probably exasperated the Holy Spirit!

1 minute ago, existential mabel said:

Eeh I am not usually around at this time but I needed to unwind .  each night i keep God in my thoughts as it seems i am in a sea of turmoil, just hope the bed stays afloat! oh dear the dry humour again!

Growing in the inner life is what I need to do now , childhood was not a brill time as indeed it aint for most folk wish we could skip that process and come to earth as an adult would save all that unhappiness ..zip

Many thanks reg the prayer

Ah yes so have I disappointed the Holy Spirit? more probably exasperated the Holy Spirit!

Dear mabel,

You can`t disappoint the Holy Spirit who knows all about us. He is gentle & kind & long suffering with us. He knows all our weaknesses. Trouble is WE don`t know what`s in us & it is the Holy Spirit highlighting the area we need to work on.  

No disappointment, that`s our own mind condemning us. Just realise we all have a twisted ball of yarn of stuff inside & bit by bit the Holy Spirit shows us something. Just say, "Thank you for revealing that to me & please help me to overcome it."

Marilyn.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I was taught this in 1971 in Bible Study Fellowship study of Matthew.   2-3 witnesses

Mat 3:11  ESV "I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.  

Mat 3:13  Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him.  Mat 3:14  John would have prevented him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"

Mat 3:16  NKJV When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.  Mat 3:17  And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

Isa 42:1 AMP  BEHOLD MY Servant, Whom I uphold, My elect in Whom My soul delights! I have put My Spirit upon Him; He will bring forth justice and right and reveal truth to the nations. [Mat 3:16-17] Isa 42:2  He will not cry or shout aloud or cause His voice to be heard in the street.Isa 42:3  A bruised reed He will not break, and a dimly burning wick He will not quench; He will bring forth justice in truth. [Mat 12:17-21]

In these passages we see 4 testimonies.  It is by 2 or 3 witnesses that a thing is ascertained to be true.   First we see the testimony of John the Baptist.  Then we see the testimony of the Holy Spirit.  Then the voice of God testifies from heaven.  Finally we have the testimony of the Prophet Isaiah.  

Deu 19:15  “One witness shall not rise against a man concerning any iniquity or any sin that he commits; by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established.  

Mat 18:16  “But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’[fn]

From this I conclude that the testimony of the Holy Spirit's still small voice in our hearts can be confirmed by Scripture, It can be confirmed by godly people, it can even be confirmed by an audible voice.  Samuel needed to be taught how to recognize God's voice by the old priest Eli.  We also have to learn.  Gods voice exhibits His attributes of holiness, gentle strength, righteousness, tender love, authority, all seeing, all knowing.  And it produces the fruit of the Holy Spirit within us.  When it convicts of sin it cleanses.  It comforts and encourages.  Even its chiding is a blessing.  If I miss or doubt the message He repeats it throughout the week.  It pops out of phrases till I finally think "a duh, I think God is trying to tell me something".  

God can speak to us in our daily devotions.  He can simply incline our hearts do be a blessing to someone.  If I ignore the inclination it does become stronger.  But it is never pushy or urgent.  Sometimes I become urgent or excited as I respond to Him, but that is self.   Nor is it a hyped up emotional appeal that we respond to in transient emotion.  When He persistently puts someone on my mind usually I am to pray to them but sometimes I am to contact them.  

Often God doesn't speak to me in the same way because He doesn't want me to rely on a method but upon the Living God.  

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  12/03/1959

On 12/2/2016 at 7:41 AM, Sharnadeen said:

How can you tell that you have disappointed the Holy Spirit?

feel hurt that I hurt Him