• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

22 hours ago, Ezra said:

When something is given as a directive in Scripture, it is meant for all ages and cultures. So to dismiss the anointing with oil, and to substitute it with something else, is not consistent with the belief that the Bible is the written Word of God.  We may not know the reasons, but "the just shall live by faith".

Thanks Ezra, part of my thinking of the oil was I needed to know more of the context, what is the oil?

So, in Proverbs 25:22  For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.

We need to understand how coals were carried on their head back at the time this was written, or we might be inclined to dump hot coals on someones head today!  So, I was wondering if the oil was more a culture thing or a directive from God, and we are to be obedient to it.  As you said, we may not know the reasons.  But is that what God wants, blind obedience, or is it an invitation to learn the reasons?  Many opinions here, I do not know how anyone's opinion can be proven.  As the oil is also symbolic of the Holy Spirit, I tend to think it would be appropriate to ask for prayer and anointing from elders of church, though the oil itself I would see as only being symbolic, at any rate, I'm glad so many have added to this thread, thanks!

• Group:  Diamond Member

On December 16, 2016 at 5:25 AM, Leonardo Von said:

o   “Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: and the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess [ your ] faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” (James 5.14-16).

The oil, by itself, was worthless. However, considering that the anointing was a gesture of love, a way of honoring the guest, when someone was anointed with oil he felt important.

Today, however, anointing with oil no longer has the same connotation of the past (no one will feel loved because his head was anointed with oil). So, instead of anointing with oil, each one should zealously seek out the best gift of the Eternal so that all may see The Way exceedingly excellent (1Corinthians 12.31).

May Jesus anoint us with His Holy Spirit

(The only anointing that teaches us what we need to know and holds us steadfast in this truth - 1John 2.27).

Your whole post was very interesting.  Yes, truly, may Jesus anoint us with His Holy Spirit.

As in those times, the oil was a very common item, and by itself it is worthless, what if there were someone who would feel loved because someone cared enough to do what scripture states, and anoint them with oil?  I realize prayer, confessing our sins to one another may be even more important than the oil, yet I feel compelled to learn if this oil is merely stated for those times, and today we might ask elders to pray and give us two aspirin instead of oil?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,059
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

17 minutes ago, hmbld said:

Thanks Ezra, part of my thinking of the oil was I needed to know more of the context, what is the oil?

So, in Proverbs 25:22  For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.

We need to understand how coals were carried on their head back at the time this was written, or we might be inclined to dump hot coals on someones head today!  So, I was wondering if the oil was more a culture thing or a directive from God, and we are to be obedient to it.  As you said, we may not know the reasons.  But is that what God wants, blind obedience, or is it an invitation to learn the reasons?  Many opinions here, I do not know how anyone's opinion can be proven.  As the oil is also symbolic of the Holy Spirit, I tend to think it would be appropriate to ask for prayer and anointing from elders of church, though the oil itself I would see as only being symbolic, at any rate, I'm glad so many have added to this thread, thanks!

One thing very necessary in this reasoning with Scripture is the fact that God has not called us to press upon that which passes away as the necessity of eternity! We know that what God is taking us into is a newness that we cannot know now due to sin...  so the element of first created things that are being removed from that which is eternally being kept are of surgical precission man cannot fathom... I believe we can discern the love aspect of gathered souls (specific elders) in God's presence applying a soothing oil of any kind, that produces a pleasantry to the senses, in the name of God for healing- a practice of building up that which has fallen ill with hope in God and focus upon God... Love, Steven

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,525
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

From Exodus 30 -"The Lord said to Moses, 23 “Take the finest spices: of liquid myrrh 500 shekels, and of sweet-smelling cinnamon half as much, that is, 250, and 250 of aromatic cane, 24 and 500 of cassia, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and a hin[e] of olive oil. 25 And you shall make of these a sacred anointing oil blended as by the perfumer; it shall be a holy anointing oil. 26 With it you shall anoint the tent of meeting and the ark of the testimony, 27 and the table and all its utensils, and the lampstand and its utensils, and the altar of incense, 28 and the altar of burnt offering with all its utensils and the basin and its stand. 29 You shall consecrate them, that they may be most holy. Whatever touches them will become holy.30 You shall anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may serve me as priests. 31 And you shall say to the people of Israel, ‘This shall be my holy anointing oil throughout your generations. 32 It shall not be poured on the body of an ordinary person, and you shall make no other like it in composition. It is holy, and it shall be holy to you. 33 Whoever compounds any like it or whoever puts any of it on an outsider shall be cut off from his people.’”

34 The Lord said to Moses, “Take sweet spices, stacte, and onycha, and galbanum, sweet spices with pure frankincense (of each shall there be an equal part), 35 and make an incense blended as by the perfumer, seasoned with salt, pure and holy. 36 You shall beat some of it very small, and put part of it before the testimony in the tent of meeting where I shall meet with you. It shall be most holy for you. 37 And the incense that you shall make according to its composition, you shall not make for yourselves. It shall be for you holy to the Lord. 38 Whoever makes any like it to use as perfume shall be cut off from his people.”

Me- Oil and incense - not for personal use, but for use by the levite priests, Holy to the LORD

Considering that oil was applied to our Lord Jesus to His feet, was that not an adoration and recognition that He  is Holy, is God in the flesh? 

Plus;  from Mark 6 - "And he called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. He charged them to take nothing for their journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in their belts— but to wear sandals and not put on two tunics.[a] 10 And he said to them, “Whenever you enter a house, stay there until you depart from there. 11 And if any place will not receive you and they will not listen to you, when you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.” 12 So they went out and proclaimed that people should repent. 13 And they cast out many demons and anointed with oil many who were sick and healed them."

Me- Was this the beginning of yet a new use or fulfillment of the Old testament command and for shadowing of things to come? In that  by this action, the disciples  were acting without Levite priests. They were acting under authority of Jesus. Seems to me it might have raised and eyebrow or two when such  contra use of holy oil  healed many.

Question: Were those healed all  believers in our Lord Jesus, an if so were they believers before or just after being healed? Is there history (Bible reveal) that shows only believers are to receive such anointing?

I tend to think at this point that this is another display by our Lord Jesus that he is God and has all authority from His Father, that  what was restricted to priests is no longer restricted for God is among us and that we have direct access to the powers of our Lord. He is no longer  reached through priests. - just an unfolding thought for consideration and discussion, further enlightenment, and  even rebuke.

Edited by Neighbor
spelling error

3 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

From Exodus 30 -"The Lord said to Moses, 23 “Take the finest spices: of liquid myrrh 500 shekels, and of sweet-smelling cinnamon half as much, that is, 250, and 250 of aromatic cane, 24 and 500 of cassia, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and a hin[e] of olive oil. 25 And you shall make of these a sacred anointing oil blended as by the perfumer; it shall be a holy anointing oil. 26 With it you shall anoint the tent of meeting and the ark of the testimony, 27 and the table and all its utensils, and the lampstand and its utensils, and the altar of incense, 28 and the altar of burnt offering with all its utensils and the basin and its stand. 29 You shall consecrate them, that they may be most holy. Whatever touches them will become holy.30 You shall anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may serve me as priests. 31 And you shall say to the people of Israel, ‘This shall be my holy anointing oil throughout your generations. 32 It shall not be poured on the body of an ordinary person, and you shall make no other like it in composition. It is holy, and it shall be holy to you. 33 Whoever compounds any like it or whoever puts any of it on an outsider shall be cut off from his people.’”

34 The Lord said to Moses, “Take sweet spices, stacte, and onycha, and galbanum, sweet spices with pure frankincense (of each shall there be an equal part), 35 and make an incense blended as by the perfumer, seasoned with salt, pure and holy. 36 You shall beat some of it very small, and put part of it before the testimony in the tent of meeting where I shall meet with you. It shall be most holy for you. 37 And the incense that you shall make according to its composition, you shall not make for yourselves. It shall be for you holy to the Lord. 38 Whoever makes any like it to use as perfume shall be cut off from his people.”

Oil and incense - not for personal use, but for use by the levite priests, Holy to the LORD

Considering that oil was applied to our Lord Jesus to His feet, was that not an adoration and recognition that He  is Holy, is God in the flesh? 

Plus;  from Mark 6 - "And he called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. He charged them to take nothing for their journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in their belts— but to wear sandals and not put on two tunics.[a] 10 And he said to them, “Whenever you enter a house, stay there until you depart from there. 11 And if any place will not receive you and they will not listen to you, when you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.” 12 So they went out and proclaimed that people should repent. 13 And they cast out many demons and anointed with oil many who were sick and healed them."

Was this the beginning of yet a new use or filfillment of the Old testament command and for shadowing of things to come? In that  by this action, the disciples  were acting without Levite priests. They were acting under authority of Jesus. seems to me it might have raised and eyebrow or two when such  contra use of Holy oil  healed many.

Question: Were those healed all  believers in our Lord Jesus, an if so were they believers before or just after being healed? Is there history (Bible reveal) that shows only believers are to receive such anointing?

I tend to think at this point that this is another display by our Lord Jesus that he is God and has all authority from His Father, that  what was restricted to priests is no longer restricted for God is among us and that we have direct access to the powers of our Lord. He is no longer  reached through priests. - just an unfolding thought for consideration and discussion, further enlightenment, and  even rebuke.

Excellent addition!  Now, I understand that the formula in Exodus 30 was a mixture for a specific purpose, and the passage for prayer and anointing from elders of the church was just oil, not holy anointing oil that is limited in use, not for the ordinary person.   How do you see it?

How do I see it? Don't know enough to make doctrine of my very limited understanding.

That's one reason this thread is so interesting to me- it is making for study of the word of God for me.

Jesus was covered with pure nard by  a woman, very costly and it was kept in an alabaster flask. Speaking of value and purity  I suppose. She "wasted" it upon  our Lord in the eyesight of some that thought it a poor use of something that could be marketed  sold for money, a better use of it in their opinion.

So what is Nard, pure nard at that? If it is "Nardostachys jatamansi, a flowering plant of the Valerian family which grows in the Himalayas of Nepal, China, and India". Then it probably was a much appreciated aromatic perfume of great cost to be found imported to Israel. And this whole, shall we say, pint of perfume was emptied upon our Lord. Evidently it was not  a healing oil but a pleasant scent.

So it seems we have a different oil being mentioned. -least different from the mixture the Levites concocted, under God's instruction, for ceremony and honor of Father God at the time.

Then we have the following too- from James 5, "Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him vsing praise.  Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.  And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.  Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.  Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit."

We seem to have an anointing, BUT it is in the name of the Lord. We also have prayer by the elders with the prayer of faith. And it is the Lord that will raise up the sick not the oil, not the elders, but the Lord.

We also have components of confession, repentance, righteousness, resulting in great power.

BUT to me the glory is to God to Jesus - very much like salvation itself it is not of us, we save no one, however we are to be obedient and proclaim the gospel of Jesus to all the world.

I guess to me it is important that  we each try to be obediant in all matters, yet be very humble knowing that  it is always best to do everything, no matter what we do,  to the glory of God.- Give all glory, all credit to God, not the oil, not the anointing, not the prayer, not the confession etc., for those are marks of obedience to the cause of healings.

Obedience is an acting out of  praise of our creator for His mercy and grace extended upon us. All the rest  are symbols only. There are no magic beans, no magic oils, only obedient acts demonstrating the faith of Jesus within and the trust in Him, the appreciation of His  sacrifice made for us. All of which are reveals of Jesus to an unbelieving world. So that some might turn hear the Holy Spirit's specific call and be repentant to salvation by grace alone. - Knowledge and acceptance of eternal life with our creator being by far the greater healing than the recovery from illness or deformity of these present physical  and corrupted bodies.

That's where I am for now. Always waiting for greater understanding, a gestalt, to manifest through the accumulation of the Word, the historic facts, and through the expositions, thoughts, and prayers of many.

Edited by Neighbor
typos

BTW   "HMBLD" I just now got your handle. Seems  IMALITLSLO

That's a good one - HMBLD , I like it! Do you use it on a license plate by any chance?

Edited by Neighbor

51 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

BTW   "HMBLD" I just now got your handle. Seems  IMALITLSLO

That's a good one - HMBLD , I like it! Do you use it on a license plate by any chance?

Lol no. I want to address your last post later when I get a little time, thanks for your answer!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

5 hours ago, hmbld said:

The oil was olive oil, and whenever mentioned in Scripture, it is in a literal sense.  Of course, the oil symbolizes the Holy Spirit, since Christians have an "unction" or anointing of the Holy Spirit, and there are other Scriptures which show this also.

5 hours ago, hmbld said:

This is purely metaphorical.

48 minutes ago, Ezra said:

This is purely metaphorical.

Certainly, but haven't you ever talked to someone who didn't understand heaping coals upon someones head was a good thing?  There are many things I don't understand like this in the bible, which is why I'm asking questions about the oil, thanks!