iamsarts

Reading Christian Literature

27 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Oh absolutely there are a lot of non fiction Christian books out there that can allow a Christian to stumble and fall. I would research the author and where the author stands as far as their belief. Having good discernment comes in handy here. Being well grounded in the Word of God so when you see a counterfeit you know it.

Exactly Missmuffet! Very good advice to christians. thank you

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blessings Brother

   Oh don't give it a second thought,take your time.......thanks to JESUS we should all have the patience to wait for as long as it takes you to get back,lol! Yes,great Topc & now that it is here in Gen Discussion I am hoping many more will join in to participate and give their perspective....:D

     I'm with you,I spent so many years researching & studying ,here ,there & everywhere........and honestly,though academics are wonderful I must say that it has never convicted a heart...only Holy Spirit can do that & the Living Word is GODS LIVING WORD,as we speak His Word it can pierce through the hardest of them    

Thank you again for your candid ,thought provoking OP and I really do love what you said "Am I taking a short cut?"      Praise Jesus!

 Funny,as you were describing what God said to you "YOU have to want this" and that you could not explain it,I felt like I knew exactly what you were saying,I too have been brought to my knees in humility,He certainly showed me my prideful ways and arrogance when "I used to be very very smart",,,:24:Oh Brother,I couldn't wait to have a debate with someone on history,chemistry,theology,you name it.....Now,I don't care.......let them all be smarter than me!!!!Once I had that insatiable hunger & thirst for Gods Word(because I too,sought HIM) everything changed because I got out of my own way,it's just like talking to you here,,,,,,,I open that Bible & its like logging on to Gods LIVE chat .................                              With love-in Christ,Kwik

 

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, iamsarts said:

Exactly Missmuffet! Very good advice to christians. thank you

:)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Brother

   Oh don't give it a second thought,take your time.......thanks to JESUS we should all have the patience to wait for as long as it takes you to get back,lol! Yes,great Topc & now that it is here in Gen Discussion I am hoping many more will join in to participate and give their perspective....:D

     I'm with you,I spent so many years researching & studying ,here ,there & everywhere........and honestly,though academics are wonderful I must say that it has never convicted a heart...only Holy Spirit can do that & the Living Word is GODS LIVING WORD,as we speak His Word it can pierce through the hardest of them    

Thank you again for your candid ,thought provoking OP and I really do love what you said "Am I taking a short cut?"      Praise Jesus!

 Funny,as you were describing what God said to you "YOU have to want this" and that you could not explain it,I felt like I knew exactly what you were saying,I too have been brought to my knees in humility,He certainly showed me my prideful ways and arrogance when "I used to be very very smart",,,:24:Oh Brother,I couldn't wait to have a debate with someone on history,chemistry,theology,you name it.....Now,I don't care.......let them all be smarter than me!!!!Once I had that insatiable hunger & thirst for Gods Word(because I too,sought HIM) everything changed because I got out of my own way,it's just like talking to you here,,,,,,,I open that Bible & its like logging on to Gods LIVE chat .................                              With love-in Christ,Kwik

 

Thank you kwikphilly! It's encouraging to hear some one else say they understand the statement I got from God "YOU have to want this". It is one of the most profound things God has ever said to me. I'm sure he had said it before but I too had become "so very smart". The problem for me with that "smartness" was that, unbeknownst to me, my pride was blocking God from my heart. The heart is so important...and God's word purifies the heart if we read it with reverence and honesty. Thanks again for your response. I appreciate it a lot and all the responses! God bless

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was learning to walk with God in the 70's I read a lot of testimonies that were inspirational as well as Christian classics that were encouraging.  But my hunger for the Word was insatiable.  While I was in Bible Study Fellowship as well as while teaching Sunday School, God put me through trials in which I had to apply the scripture I studied to my own life's situations.  Thereby He made it my own and it became a part of me.  I remembered it as well.  This reading and applying is what fulfilled the hunger.  The more I read the Bible the more I became acquainted with the God of the Bible.  Through His dealings with Israel and through the life of Jesus I became acquainted with His Character, which is what is meant by His Name.  

Too many people have their own ideas of who God is, which is partly based on the world's ideas and on myths like Santa Clause which promote a works based salvation.  That is how they conclude that there is no hell and when they die they will get their wings and turn into angels!  Some of the experiences published as testimonies were produced to sell books and make money.  Some were fabricated.  The ones that were real truly turned their lives upside down and changed them by humbling them.  They rejoice only that their names are written in the Lamb's book of life, and are left with hearts full of worship and praise for their Creator Who died for them.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

my pride was blocking God from my heart. The heart is so important...and God's word purifies the heart if we read it with reverence and honesty.

:amen:                                         Bountiful Blessings to you Brother!!!!!!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Willa said:

When I was learning to walk with God in the 70's I read a lot of testimonies that were inspirational as well as Christian classics that were encouraging.  But my hunger for the Word was insatiable.  While I was in Bible Study Fellowship as well as while teaching Sunday School, God put me through trials in which I had to apply the scripture I studied to my own life's situations.  Thereby He made it my own and it became a part of me.  I remembered it as well.  This reading and applying is what fulfilled the hunger.  The more I read the Bible the more I became acquainted with the God of the Bible.  Through His dealings with Israel and through the life of Jesus I became acquainted with His Character, which is what is meant by His Name.  

Too many people have their own ideas of who God is, which is partly based on the world's ideas and on myths like Santa Clause which promote a works based salvation.  That is how they conclude that there is no hell and when they die they will get their wings and turn into angels!  Some of the experiences published as testimonies were produced to sell books and make money.  Some were fabricated.  The ones that were real truly turned their lives upside down and changed them by humbling them.  They rejoice only that their names are written in the Lamb's book of life, and are left with hearts full of worship and praise for their Creator Who died for them.  

You're right, it's like when Christ said to the religious leaders "you have made the scripture of no effect". People turn to so many other sources outside of the bible. Sometimes it leads down a rabbit hole full "what their itching ears want to hear". I'm very happy to learn that I'm not alone in my view on this. It's encouraging! Thanks for your response!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites