creativemechanic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

while distorting scripture is never funny. What I find amazing is how  creative people can get when they apply scripture to justify their own conclusions about life or other people. HAve you ever seen any that amazed you?

Here are some ive seen-

1) Ive heard a person declare  with great conviction that when  Michal (sauls daughter and davids wife) criticised david for dancing before the altar being returned God "dealt with her" by punishing her with barrenness. While the bible says she had no children, its no way mentioned that she was barren or that it was a punishment.

2) There are some people  who are very prejudiced- against other races or countries. Such people have actually used the rule forbidding the israelites from marrying the non- Hebrew people of the land  as a condemnation of interracial marriages or with people of particular countries.

3) I know of a person who have stuck to  the bible verse saying the greatest commandment is to love God and your neighbours as thmself and thus think thts all they have to follow from scripture, thus, they flat our ignore which ever other bible principle they dont feel like following

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, creativemechanic said:

3) I know of a person who have stuck to  the bible verse saying the greatest commandment is to love God and your neighbours as thmself and thus think thts all they have to follow from scripture, thus, they flat our ignore which ever other bible principle they dont feel like following

Well since those two commandments cover all the others, what's your beef? They can't possibly ignore other commandments under this principle.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want.

A friend and pastor that used to do many funeral services for us would often open his talk using that isolated line as his own introduction of how people misunderstand the meaning of passages of the Bible.

He would then explain that as a young child he thought it meant just that, he would not want that shepherd. As he matured he learned better the understanding by thinking, prayer, and reading the Bible, and he would be off onto a gospel of Jesus presentation as part  of his memorial message.

Thanks for jarring my memory bank to this good man and his efforts in the name of our Lord Jesus.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I've heard the one about not marrying outside your race, definitely.  But I try to follow Scripture as written and, yeah, the 'Stretchers' make me crazy.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

22 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

I've heard the one about not marrying outside your race, definitely....
But I try to follow Scripture as written and, yeah, the 'Stretchers' make me crazy....

:emot-heartbeat:

Sons Of Adam

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Genesis 2:7

Daughters Of Eve

And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living. Genesis 3:20

There Is Only One Human Race

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Romans 3:23

No Matter What Darwin

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

Said

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:32

:emot-heartbeat:

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

I have heard many people tell me that this verse means all they have to do is to believe that Jesus is the son of God and that makes them saved. They can just go about as they want but as long as they believe Jesus is God's son they will be alright. 

I think there is more too it then that. I mean even the devil believes Jesus is God's son.  But that is one I have heard from people. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

32 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Was that person Jesus?

Matthew 22:37-40 KJVS
[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. [38] This is the first and great commandment. [39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

What other principles are there? Remember, love is more than a feeling.

No they mean -br kind to others but other rules from scripture like unequally yoked Or foribbing   homosexuality etc can be ignored

• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

In addition to stretchers, there are shorteners.

Consider this from Romans 14:5:

Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.

Therefore, the Bible itself, endorses Atheism!

• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Stretchers, shorteners, jumpers, this is off to making it's own thread of theological terms for different approaches so scripture, going past the limitations of exegesis and isogesis!

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

17 minutes ago, Cletus said:

My question is why settle for a lie when the truth is right there in front of you?

It would appear that lies have more appeal than the truth.  Then, after the lies are exposed, those who have believed them prefer to cling to them, rather than forsake them.