IGNORED

Jesus Fasted The Fast Of Esther

Guest shiloh357
Just now, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

1. Jesus said His disciples would fast when He would be taken. 

2. Jesus' last meal was on the 13th Aviv with His disciples and He did not eat again till the 16th. 

3. This coincided with when Esther fasted over the same 3 days in order to gain favour from God so that God's people could be saved, just as Jesus saved His people. 

4. None of the disciples were shown to eat over these 3 days.

5. Today this 3 day fast is still recognised as the fast of Esther: http://www.torahcalendar.com/Calendar.asp?YM=Y2016M13

Esther's fast was a foreshadow of what Jesus was going to do, just as Passover was. It's not difficult to Se this parallel. There are many more foreshadowings in the OT that Jesus fulfilled. 

These comparisons are superficial.   If this were a "foreshadowing,"  the Bible would tell us so.

You have no evidence that the disciples fasted for three after Jesus died.  That is an assumption you are drawing, nothing more.   Your case is pretty weak here.   And besides, the story of Esther surrounds purim, not passover.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  505
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

These comparisons are superficial.   If this were a "foreshadowing,"  the Bible would tell us so.

You have no evidence that the disciples fasted for three after Jesus died.  That is an assumption you are drawing, nothing more.   Your case is pretty weak here.   And besides, the story of Esther surrounds purim, not passover.

Foreshadows in the OT testament such as Passover are not explained for Christians to understand as you are thinking - like expecting it to say; Isaiah 67:1 "One day Jesus (the son of God) will die in place of the Passover lamb, so please watch out for that!" 

Go back and read the OP - Esther fasted over these same 3 days as it says in Esther ch3 & 4. 

And do you really think they even felt like eating after what had just happened? Have you no understanding of what it is like to loose someone you love? Someone who was so important to you that you followed them where ever they went. Someone who you would die for, as they said they would but then denied even knowing them. Have you any idea what guilt feels like? Guilt that eats you up. And have you ever hid in fear of your life as they did? Doubt it very much. The last thing they felt like was eating. You obviously have never thought that deeply about what they all went through. Jesus said they would fast and the only mention of food in all that time was when Jesus broke bread and ate the fish. Please try putting some thought into what you think you believe. 

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

Foreshadows in the OT testament such as Passover are not explained for Christians to understand as you are thinking - like expecting it to say; Isaiah 67:1 "One day Jesus (the son of God) will die in place of the Passover lamb, so please watch out for that!" 

Go back and read the OP - Esther fasted over these same 3 days as it says in Esther ch3 & 4. 

What I am saying is that if there were foreshadowing, the NT would make that connection, it always does in other areas.

And do you really think they even felt like eating after what had just happened? Have you no understanding of what it is like to loose someone you love? Someone who was so important to you that you followed them where ever they went. Someone who you would die for, as they said they would but then denied even knowing them. Have you any idea what guilt feels like? Guilt that eats you up. And have you ever hid in fear of your life as they did? Doubt it very much. The last thing they felt like was eating. You obviously have never thought that deeply about what they all went through. Jesus said they would fast and the only mention of food in all that time was when Jesus broke bread and ate the fish. Please try putting some thought into what you think you believe. 

You still have no evidence that they did not eat.   You are making an argument from silence.  You can appeal to emotion all you want.  But you are trying to force something into the text that the Bible does not say.   It doesn't claim they "fasted." 

I am just going to stick with the Bible and not this sloppy exegesis that is being promoted in this thread.

8 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

What I am saying is that if there were foreshadowing, the NT would make that connection, it always does in other areas.

You still have no evidence that they did not eat.   You are making an argument from silence.  You can appeal to emotion all you want.  But you are trying to force something into the text that the Bible does not say.   It doesn't claim they "fasted." 

I am just going to stick with the Bible and not this sloppy exegesis that is being promoted in this thread.

You have not provided one scripture to refute any of the many scriptures that shows Jesus and the Disciples fasted over these days, yet you think the bible does, you are making verses up in your mind that don't exist and are going against what the Bible says. If you can't see this then I can't help you.  

Edited by When Is Jesus Coming?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

15 hours ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

Please try putting some thought....
into what you think....
you believe....

:thumbsup:

When The Jews Look Up And Turn To Their Messiah

I will go and return to my place, until they acknowledge their offense, and seek my face. In their affliction they will seek me earnestly." Hosea 5:15 (New Heart English Bible)

As They See Their Yeshua Coming Back Down

"And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son. Zechariah 12:10 (New International Version)

As The Graves Of All The Saints Open

Brothers and sisters, we don't want you to be ignorant about those who have died. We don't want you to grieve like other people who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and came back to life. We also believe that, through Jesus, God will bring back those who have died. They will come back with Jesus. We are telling you what the Lord taught. We who are still alive when the Lord comes will not go into his kingdom ahead of those who have already died. The Lord will come from heaven with a command, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, the dead who believed in Christ will come back to life. Then, together with them, we who are still alive will be taken in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. In this way we will always be with the Lord. So then, comfort each other with these words! 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 (GOD'S WORD® Translation)

As His Armies Trail Behind Him

Then I saw heaven opened, and a white horse was standing there. Its rider was named Faithful and True, for he judges fairly and wages a righteous war. His eyes were like flames of fire, and on his head were many crowns. A name was written on him that no one understood except himself. He wore a robe dipped in blood, and his title was the Word of God. The armies of heaven, dressed in the finest of pure white linen, followed him on white horses. Revelation 19:11-14 (New Living Translation)

Then Will Israel Rejoice

Sing, O daughter of Zion; shout, O Israel; be glad and rejoice with all the heart, O daughter of Jerusalem. The LORD has taken away your judgments, he has cast out your enemy: the king of Israel, even the LORD, is in the middle of you: you shall not see evil any more. In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem, Fear you not: and to Zion, Let not your hands be slack.

The LORD your God in the middle of you is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over you with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:14-17 (American King James Version)

To See The LORD's

He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, Luke 1:13 (English Standard Version)

Glory~!

I am the LORD, that is My name; And My glory will I not give to another, Neither My praise to graven images. Isaiah 42:8 (JPS Tanakh 1917)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 (King James Bible)

Love, Your Brother Joe

~

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160 (King James Bible)

The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully.  It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

From The Inside Of My Gideon New Testament

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

I really don't get this.

Fasting is a deliberate and voluntary decision to go without food. Just not eating (either because you don't have access to food, or because you are too unwell or upset to eat) is really not the same thing - not to my mind, anyway.

And even if Jesus and His disciples did 'fast', what significance does it have?

Edited by Deborah_

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

18 hours ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

If you don't believe the scritures I quoted then I can't help you. 

Although I don't think you understand what you are saying. You are not making sense unless you're not a Christian of course. 

I'm not I follow you thought process here. What are is that it is ok for you to not post scripture to back up your opinion yet others have to. I have to agree with several posters on this thread that you need to give scripture to support your belief versus others doing it for you.

Also can you clarify something for me with your last part of the quote. Are you saying that if we don't accept the poor interpretation of scripture being given that we aren't Christians? I would think that as believers we would actually see it and then defend against it. A non believer wouldn't do that because they don't know God's Word. Just curious.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

16 hours ago, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

Not presumption. It's a fact that you have not empathised with the Apostles and there feelings after the crucifixion. Jesus is my Lord and when some who claims to believe in Jesus presumes the Apostles could have eaten after it is pointed out to them that the scriptures state that Jesus said they wouldn't, then yes it is upsetting. I am upset at your lack of empathy at our Apostles feelings and situation. And again, I did provide scripture, you failed to read it.    

Emphasizing is one thing providing scriptural support is a while other matter. What I'm gathering from this quote anyway is that emotion is somehow creating a belief in something that isn't supported by scripture. Throwing around a couple verses here and there just support. Its just throwing something out there blindly hoping at least one verse will be a hit. 

I'm sure that the disciples were sad and in mourning. But it doesn't prove that Jesus fasted the fast of Esther which is what this post is all about.

If quote scripture if I could on this one. The problem is there is absolutely no evidence in the gospels that Jesus fasted the fast of Esther. So I wouldn't even no where to begin. However this verse I think is appropriate for this discussion 1 John 4:1 "Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world". Not saying that you are a false prophet however we must be careful we are not trying to add to the gospel or try to make something truth that really isn't there. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, When Is Jesus Coming? said:

If you don't believe the scritures I quoted then I can't help you. 

Although I don't think you understand what you are saying. You are not making sense unless you're not a Christian of course. 

I am very much a Christian believer. I would give my life for the sake of the gospel if Jesus wanted me to go that far. And I don't know why I am not making sense to you. When you state something, like saying that Jesus did this or that, you have to prove yourself from scripture. You have to show in scripture where it specifically SAYS Jesus did this or that. And you didn't DO that. what you spoke was just conjecture.

5 hours ago, TheMatrixHasU71 said:

I am very much a Christian believer. I would give my life for the sake of the gospel if Jesus wanted me to go that far. And I don't know why I am not making sense to you. When you state something, like saying that Jesus did this or that, you have to prove yourself from scripture. You have to show in scripture where it specifically SAYS Jesus did this or that. And you didn't DO that. what you spoke was just conjecture.

I DID do that, here it is again: 

Esther 3:12

Then on the thirteenth day of the first month the royal secretaries were summoned.

Later that day:

Esther 4:15-16
15 Then Esther sent this reply to Mordecai: 16 “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.”

Esther broke with tradition and rather than eat the Passover meal she decided to fast in the hope of receiving God’s Favour, as she was about to break a law that could have resulted in her receiving a death sentence. In recognition of this event many of the Jews who were saved began a tradition by fasting over these same three days and instead ate the Passover meal early on the 13th, others however continued to eat it on the normal day. (I believe the Essenes kept the fast of Esther).  

After the last supper, that took place on the evening of the 13th Aviv as the sun set, Jesus also fasted over these same three days, ending on the evening of the sixteenth day when He broke bread with Cleopas and the other disciple in Emmaus (Luke 24). He then immediately appeared to the eleven disciples in the upper room that night and asked for some broiled fish to eat. His disciples also fasted over that time just as Jesus had said they would:

Mark 2:19-20
19 Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? They cannot, so long as they have him with them. 20 But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast.

Can you see the scripture in bold above? Those scriptures show that Jesus said He and His disciples would fast when He would be taken away (Mark 2:19-20) and that they fasted from the last supper which was on the 13th Aviv till the evening of the 16th Aviv (Luke 24), which exactly matched the same 3 days Esther fasted (Esther 3:16 to 4:16).

Esther's fast was a prophetic foreshadow of what Jesus would do, just like Passover or Shavout (Pentecost) etc.   
Edited by When Is Jesus Coming?