• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

12 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

It's hopeless. It is simply hopeless and I am done. :mellow:

Why? :(  Perhaps you are not familiar with BH Obama's Populist speech history?  Or that when he speeches Populism what he's doing is smoke screening something much more. HR Clinton, his top choice to carry his presidency forward for a third term, did lose in 2016. This does not mean BH Obama has stopped pursuing the goal he had when he entered the White house for his first term. Intending to bring 'change we could believe in'. What do we believe about it now? Good job Mr.Obama? 

Read the first article below before reading those that follow if you're of a mind to read any at all. Because the first article will bring context to Obama's pursuit starting long years ago when he speeched about Populism. Seeming to speak for and of the people. But that really isn't true. 

April 1, 2017 How Does Populism Turn Authoritarian? Venezuela Is a Case in Point

When Hugo Chávez took power in Venezuela nearly 20 years ago, the leftist populism he championed was supposed to save democracy. Instead, it has led to democracy’s implosion in the country, marked this past week by an attack on the independence of its Legislature.

FULL ARTICLE

Los Angeles Times July 24, 2014

President Obama hits 'corporate deserters' in populist L.A. speech

Tearing into companies he dubbed “corporate deserters,” President Obama on Thursday launched an election-year push to make it harder for U.S. companies to avoid paying taxes.

Under a bright sun at a trade and technical college in Los Angeles, Obama issued a damning assessment of a “small but growing” group of companies taking advantage of a “loophole” in corporate tax law by reorganizing overseas, often in low-tax countries.

------------

FOR THE RECORD

An earlier version of this post said Sen. Ron Wyden represented Washington. He represents Oregon.

------------

Obama accused the companies of “renouncing their U.S. citizenship” and “fleeing the country” while sticking U.S. taxpayers “with the tab.”

“You shouldn’t get to call yourself an American company only when you want a handout from the American taxpayer,” Obama told a crowd gathered at the Los Angeles Trade-Technical College. The speech capped a three-day West Coast trip primarily focused on raising money for Democrats ahead of the midterm elections.

Obama ended the trip by trying to offer another kind of assistance -- a message -- to Democrats in tough races across the country. The president's remarks were a rhetorical return to an economic populism that served him well in his own reelection and may be key to revving up Democratic turnout in November. Obama’s words echoed previous campaign-friendly initiatives to close corporate jet tax breaks or raise taxes on millionaires.

The president’s riff on corporate tax dodgers was cheered by the enthusiastic crowd at the event, although his speech was initially interrupted by a man shouting religious phrases. The crowd drowned out the man’s yelling with chants of “Obama!”

Obama’s target on Thursday was so-called inversion transactions, a practice that allows U.S. companies to reincorporate overseas, either through a merger or purchase of a foreign entity, and thus avoid paying U.S. taxes on its foreign earnings.

The practice is often used by companies even as they retain a U.S. headquarters and continue to do much of their business in the U.S., senior administration officials said this week in advance of the president's remarks.

The president acknowledged the practice is legal,  but added “my attitude is, ‘I don’t care if it’s legal -- it’s wrong.’”

The White House is urging Congress to change the law quickly, saying lawmakers should not let the effort wait until they can agree on a larger corporate tax deal. Like most things in Washington, corporate tax reform has little chance of passing any time soon.

Obama has endorsed a legislative effort led by some Democrats in the House and Senate. A bill proposed by Rep. Sander Levin (D-Mich.) would redefine a foreign company under tax law as an entity with at least 50% foreign ownership instead of the current 20%. The rule would be retroactive to May 2014.

Sens. Ron Wyden of Oregon and Carl Levin of Michigan have introduced companion legislation in the Senate and Obama put a similar provision in his 2015 budget proposal.

The White House said the change would generate an additional $19.5 billion in tax revenue over the next decade.

Obama’s effort for a fast change faces a steep climb in Congress. Not all Democrats agree the inversion issue should be pulled out separately from the larger effort to overhaul the corporate tax code. And Republicans and Democrats are deadlocked on that front.

“Until the White House endorses our tax reform plan or convinces Senate Democrats to act, every pink slip from companies moving overseas may as well be signed 'President Barack H. Obama,'” Michael Steel, a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), said in a statement.

The president put the blame on Republicans for holding up tax reform and other pieces of his economic agenda. He argued he’d taken action on minimum wage, shrinking the gender pay gap, improving  job training and reforming student loans.

“Why isn’t Congress doing something?” he said.

REUTERS 

POLITICS | Tue Dec 6, 2011  

Obama hits Republicans, Wall Street in populist speech

By Jeff Mason | OSAWATOMIE, KANSAS

President Barack Obama blasted his Republican foes and Wall Street on Tuesday as he portrayed himself as a champion of the middle class and laid out in the starkest terms yet the populist themes of his 2012 re-election bid.

In a speech meant to echo a historic address given by former President Theodore Roosevelt in the same Kansas town more than 100 years ago, Obama railed against "gaping" economic inequality and pressed the case for policies he insisted would help ordinary Americans get through hard times. More at link

Duck Duck Go Search Results In Full:"what was wrong with obama populism speech

• Group:  Senior Member

1 hour ago, Davida said:

Everything I say.

I think the wall of hatred for president Trump precludes anything else getting past it. Case in point, the press when soundly thumped from their throne of slanderous reporting about president Trump, Russia, asking Comey to alter an investigation, etc....through Comey's own testimony that was a repeat of what he had said way back in January actually dared to continue its false news reporting via some outlets by continuing that line of slander. Then claiming it was Comey that lied! And the death-left press was so persuasive that behind that hate wall the demographic that follows them actually thought Comey, proved himself an honorable man when he appeared before Congress this final time. 

When in truth, which was missed by the death-left press, Comey admitted to violating federal law out of hatred and revenge for being fired by president Trump as he released illegally his memo's while still serving as FBI Director. At the pleasure of president Trump. Having given those records to a law professor friend. Illegal! And a violation of the "Records Act". Just so that "friend" could disseminate those illegal memos to the press. 

And there was no excuse for that on Comey's part! Not like he made for HR Clinton when he claimed she wasn't sophisticated enough to know how to work computers. Really? Was she unsophisticated as a trained attorney to read the contract she signed concerning national security before accepting her Obama appointed post as Secretary of State? 
Comey was trained as an attorney. And was a former prosecutor. He knew he was breaking federal law when he stole those memo's. But the death-left press claim he served his testimony before Congress with honor? What's that say about discernment of what the death-left believe is defined as honor? 

That hate wall built to resist president Trump's presidency were it an physical border wall would be impenetrable by illegals , the cartels, and terrorists. Oh, don't I wish it were real. It would then serve a good purpose for America. Rather than what it serves to represent now aligned against America. :( 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

4 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Okay. Maybe we heard two different things. I guess that can happen sometimes. Can you explain how Mr. Obama's speech is seeking to  divide America? And what any of what he says have to do with his religion? Or maybe what parts you disagree with? Thank You. 

One way in which obama continues to try and divide america is that he spoke at all. It has up to this point been standard that the outgoing president retire to the background so as not to interfer with a new president. That isnt happening in this instance. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

33 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

One way in which obama continues to try and divide america is that he spoke at all. It has up to this point been standard that the outgoing president retire to the background so as not to interfer with a new president. That isnt happening in this instance. 

You beat me too it - I was going to make that very point myself.

Though in all fairness, I think it first was Jimmy Carter who 'refused' to 'go quietly into the night', as his predecessors had done.

It was way before my time (before presidents built monuments to themselves and called them libraries), but I wish our contemporary presidents followed the Calvin Coolidge example.  

Upon leaving office, he simply retired to his front porch in Vermont.

Blessings,

-Ed

Edited by SavedByGrace1981

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

20 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

You beat me too it - I was going to make that very point myself.

Though in all fairness, I think it first was Jimmy Carter who 'refused' to 'go quietly into the night', as his predecessors had done.

It was way before my time (before presidents built monuments to themselves and called them libraries), but I wish our contemporary presidents followed the Calvin Coolidge example.  

Upon leaving office, he simply retired to his front porch in Vermont.

Blessings,

-Ed

I wish they followed his example in governing, he was the last true conservative president 

53 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

I wish they followed his example in governing, he was the last true conservative president 

Amen.

As far as keeping a relatively low profile after leaving office though, I have to say Harry Truman and Ike did.  Nixon was of course disgraced, as was Ford who pardoned him, so we didn't hear much from them.  

Carter, mentioned earlier - did good (Habitat for Humanity) but he was a pain in the neck to his successors (though an equal-opportunity and both partisan one.)

Reagan came down with Alzheimers.

Say what you want about the Bushes (and I don't think a whole lot of them) but they did make it a practice not to comment much on their successors - which I respect.

And then there's Clinton.  And now Obama. 

Oh well.

Blessings,

-Ed

Edited by SavedByGrace1981

• Group:  Senior Member

8 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

Amen.

As far as keeping a relatively low profile after leaving office though, I have to say Harry Truman and Ike did.  Nixon was of course disgraced, so we didn't hear much from him.  And Reagan came down with Alzheimers.

Say what you want about the Bushes (and I don't think a whole lot of them) but they did make it a practice not to comment much on their successors - which I respect.

And then there's Clinton.  And now Obama. 

Oh well.

Blessings,

-Ed

Well, not now (Obama) , thank God. And the American voters. :) That he ever was is the real tragedy. 

3 minutes ago, Anonymous Aristotle said:

Well, not now (Obama) , thank God. And the American voters. :) That he ever was is the real tragedy. 

True that :D !

Blessings,

-Ed