• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,530
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, Please allow me a countering viewpoint.

Being poor, and being a panhandler are different things. Being very poor is a great hardship, being a panhandler is a con.

The panhandler is a criminal bent on deceiving, robbing, breaking in, illegal drug distributing and use, rape plus  immoral  acts  on the streets and in the bushes of public places.  Panhandlers cost more than the price of a kind handout by  the well intentioned, they raise the cost of all local community resources and they threaten the innocent in the community.

It is difficult, but the poor must have some discipline same as the less poor and the affluent have discipline imposed upon them. Poverty is not excuse to abuse others, it is not excuse to assault others, nor try to intimidate them in parking lots of merchants, and churches and other places of worship.

I suggest that there are really great  organizations to support financially that do help the poor, but that giving cash to a beggar is not the best way to help. If led and it feels safe give food, water,  but no cash. For panhandling is a career choice, poverty is not.

In practice helping  an unfortunate person is harder than giving cash to a panhandler, for it may involve half a day's effort at a time finding out the need, going to a store, buying groceries, diapers, clean water, and delivering them to the person that is in need. And then following up with  some transportation help to get the poor to opportunities for them to gain footing again. It is a long struggle. It, poverty, will always be there.

It is hard and it is difficult to resist that panhandler- for a reason. The panhandler is good at playing the role chosen as  a career.

The panhandler is a con artist that steals from the poor, for they take  the very resource that a kind hearted person may have instead contributed to  a needy person  in the form of groceries and other help.

And to be blunt, giving to panhandlers just ends up giving money to the local street drug dealer that robs from our whole society

It is hard to be firm in how one helps. But it is not at all  beneficial to give cash to  anyone panhandling. I do suggest helping steadily as one is led to do so, but not with cash to a stranger, nor even a friend for that matter, help with resources food and personal effort, but not with cash as  that cash gets used in ways that are abusive and counter productive to lifting  anyone up out of their plight.

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,530
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

As example of how the panhandler robs the community of resources needed to help the truly needy, may I share of some knowledge from personal experience? 

There are government resources for the mentally disabled. There are government programs for drug abusers, the street people that panhandle.  And when the money for the dug user on the street panhandling runs low that government agency  tries to get it's "clients"  to take a test for competency, with the intent of getting the client to deliberately fail the test. That way they get them declared to be mentally disabled and then they get to  be put up in housing with the mentally disabled.

The con, the drug user, the panhandler, then gets housed with the mentally disabled. The mentally disabled cannot  defend themselves from the abuses that the con then makes them suffer. The individuals running facilities for the mentally disabled then have to deal with the trouble that comes from the con artists, making their task  a miserable one.

It is an insanity of government programs in a society that cannot or will not fund the programs it establishes in the first place. Personally having seen and having been affected by this insanity I have little sympathy for the street panhandler and will not ever give a dime to one. I will take time to do what is possible to help  with funding with goods and with time the private and religious bodies led to help the poor, the unfortunate and even the fallen that will work to  get re-established and able to be more self supporting again.

One of the best groups I know of is a local body of Christ Jesus called Everybody's Tabernacle".  They  interview individuals in need, they provide food, water,  place to stay that is safe, spiritual guidance, help finding work, training for work too, BUT they will not continue to help a con a panhandler. 

Edited by Neighbor

Guest bonnieschamberger
On 7/20/2017 at 4:35 AM, notsolostsoul said:

"MAN" has a way of wanting to control everything. Even the poor or how they should be poor. It is sad.

I was looking for a way to say what I felt and you already said it perfectly :thumbs_up:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Many times I have been flat broke. But I've never been poor.

I am grateful to God who has always provided and always will.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Hi. Looking over the replies it seems that some have missed the point of the post. Which was in a nutshell how laws and rules of  our society seem to work against the poor.  Then we criticize people who are forced to go on welfare because in our eyes they are not truly poor since they are not living as they do in 3 world nations.  I just wanted to point out that many of our laws simply do not allow the poor of our society to live as the poor do in 3 world nations.  

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

1 hour ago, Davida said:

What a relief!!  WHOOPEE!!!!!! I'm NOT poor!!  YAY!!! :101:

Amen davida amen.   The truth is, even when if we lose every single earthen thing and are beaten and in prison.......STILL I am RICH for CHRIST is the TRUE TREASURE

and nothing else comes even remotely close.  Not even a comparison.    THE RICHES ABOVE ARE THE RICHES THAT PROFIT a man or woman in the DAY of the LORD

the ONLY RICHES that save a man ARE THE ONLY TRUE RICHES............and HIS NAME IS IMMANUEL LORD CHRIST KINGOF KINGS SO PRAISE THAT NAME AND SING IT .

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

For the only riches that truly matter ARE CHRIST and the only stiches that matter ARE HIS WHITE ROBES , the righteous of the saints.  SING IT PEOPLES

sing it.  I by grace teach the true prosperity gospel.  Not mans which focuses on earthen riches and worldy dreams.

I shall let DAVID tell us in psalm one hundred and eighteen what the TRUE PROSPERITY IS..........

for he had cried OH LORD SEND NOW THY PROSPERITY................what prosperity what david seeing ,

WELL, the next verse says it all.............BLESSED BE HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THELORD..................DAVID FORESAW IT .  HE TRULY DID.