• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Yes, but that is the effect it would have on Adam in his fallen state.  That doesn't speak to the purpose of the tree for Adam in his unfallen state.   Adam was immortal and unable to die physically prior to the fall, as God did not engineer death into creation.   So the purpose of the tree for Adam in his unfallen state must have been different.

The bible does not tell us the Tree of Life had a different purpose prior to the fall, that is just conjecture. 

Also, we know that the tree of knowledge of good and evil did exactly what it was named, I see no good reason to assume the Tree of Life is any different.

Guest shiloh357
18 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

The bible does not tell us the Tree of Life had a different purpose prior to the fall, that is just conjecture.

I am not conjecturing anything.   I said that you're question assumes a purpose NOT stated in Scripture.   That's not conjecture.  I addressed the nature of your question, not the actual purpose of the tree.

Also, we know that the tree of knowledge of good and evil did exactly what it was named, I see no good reason to assume the Tree of Life is any different.

The problem is that Adam and Eve were not created to die or with the ability to die.  To assume that the tree of life was meant to keep people alive who cannot die is irrational.   Furthermore, YOU are the one conjecturing about the purpose of Tree of Life, not me.  

2 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I am not conjecturing anything.   I said that you're question assumes a purpose NOT stated in Scripture.   That's not conjecture.  I addressed the nature of your question, not the actual purpose of the tree.

Scripture states the purpose of the tree, you are making assumptions that purpose somehow changed after the fall.  Scripture does not tell us that is the case. 

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,461
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,742
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  126
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Please ... agree to disagree ... we're really starting to go around in circles. :)

• Brilliant! 1

Just now, George said:

Please ... agree to disagree ... we're really starting to go around in circles. :)

Works for me!

Guest shiloh357
15 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Scripture states the purpose of the tree, you are making assumptions that purpose somehow changed after the fall.  Scripture does not tell us that is the case. 

Scripture tells us what effect the tree would have on Adam in his fallen state.  It doesn't state what the purpose would be in connection to people who can't die.   It is possible that for Adam and Eve prior to the fall, they enjoyed the tree for some other reason. 

I am simply stating the tree could have had more than one purpose for being in existence, but that the Bible doesn't give us any light on that issue.

25 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Scripture tells us what effect the tree would have on Adam in his fallen state.  It doesn't state what the purpose would be in connection to people who can't die.   It is possible that for Adam and Eve prior to the fall, they enjoyed the tree for some other reason. 

I am simply stating the tree could have had more than one purpose for being in existence, but that the Bible doesn't give us any light on that issue.

Yes, I agree it is possible and it could have had.  It was requested of me that I "show scripture that even hints at that?"  Which I did, since we are now in the realm of "possible" and "could have" then it is also could have the purpose I think the passage "hints" at. 

Thanks!  :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:15 AM, shiloh357 said:

It is also important to note that the result of the eradication of sin in the future has, as one of it's results, the eradication of physical death.  It's part of the curse that is eradicated. When sin is done away with, we will live in eternity forever.  So there is a definite connection between Adam's fall and physical death.

We still die though we are saved, and once we are changed we will have different bodies not the ones we now have.  Don't see how we can join that all as the same.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:15 AM, shiloh357 said:

It is also important to note that the result of the eradication of sin in the future has, as one of it's results, the eradication of physical death.  It's part of the curse that is eradicated. When sin is done away with, we will live in eternity forever.  So there is a definite connection between Adam's fall and physical death.

We still die though we are saved, and once we are changed we will have different bodies not the ones we now have.  Don't see how we can join that all as the same.

Guest shiloh357
2 hours ago, Running Gator said:

Yes, I agree it is possible and it could have had.  It was requested of me that I "show scripture that even hints at that?"  Which I did, since we are now in the realm of "possible" and "could have" then it is also could have the purpose I think the passage "hints" at. 

Thanks!  :emot-highfive:

It doesn't "hint" at anything. You have not addressed why Adam and Eve would need to kept alive by eating from it, if they could not die in the first place.  Your suggestion is simply not rational.