• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

41 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I then remembered the derivation of the acceleration of gravity at the earth's surface starting from Newton's equation of gravitation.

Why??  The 'scientific community' (as if) doesn't follow Newtonian 'gravity'...

"...Einstein created his GENERAL THEORY OF RELATIVITY—which provides OUR MODERN UNDERSTANDING of gravity —with the express purpose of expunging nonlocality from physics. Isaac Newton's gravity acted at a distance, as if by magic, and general relativity snapped the wand in two by showing that the curvature of spacetime, and NOT AN INVISIBLE FORCE, gives rise to gravitational attraction."
Musser George: How Einstein Revealed the Universe's Strange "Nonlocality"; Scientific American, November 2015.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-einstein-revealed-the-universe-s-strange-nonlocality/

Apparently you haven't been keeping up on your CEC's.

Can you reconcile your Conundrum for us?

Apparently Newton himself wasn't all that enamored/married to the idea...

In a letter to Dr. Richard Bentley on Feb. 25th, 1692, Isaac Newton says: 

"Tis inconceivable that inanimate brute matter should (without mediation of something else which is not material) operate upon and affect other matter without mutual contact... 
That gravity should be innate inherent and essential to matter so that one body can act upon another at a distance through a vacuum without mediation of anything else by and through which their action or force may be conveyed from one to another is to me SO GREAT AN ABSURDITY that I believe no man who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking can ever fall into it."
Scheurer, PB., Debrock, G: Newton's Scientific and Philosophical Legacy, 1988, p.52

For astronomical bodies like the earth and moon (which are mostly spherical).

Begging The Question Fallacy (x2): earth and moon (which are mostly spherical).

F = G m1*m2/r^2  

This isn't Newton's Equation.  This is...

Fg ∝ m1M2/d2 

where G is the universal gravitational constant

Where'd you get "G" from...?

and r is the distance between their centers.

Where'd you get "r" from...?

For most purposes, it is unnecessary to worry about general relativity.

Your 'scientific community' (as if) will beg (quite strongly) to differ. (SEE above)

regards

• Group:  Royal Member

18 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

As an offer here, if there is anything you run across that you'd like me to try to explain in simpler words, or pictures, or whatever, please feel free to ask.

OK, this ENTIRE POST...

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/212853-examples-of-applied-physics/?do=findComment&comment=2669518

By the Numbers for us, K? :rolleyes:

I enjoy this type of stuff.  I was a physics prof many years ago, enjoyed teaching, and picked up a few awards for it.

OK, let's get to some specifics here.  To confirm your 'claims' here, can you answer some basic questions?

This is a very simple query that will clearly and quickly confirm your fundamental "Science" knowledge base.

a.  Define then identify the parts of a Formal Scientific Hypothesis.
b.  Post a Formal Scientific Hypothesis regarding ANYTHING...?
c.  Dovetail the parts of your Formal Scientific Hypothesis with the parts of a REAL Formal Scientific Hypothesis you established in (a.).
d.  What is the goal of Scientific Hypothesis formulation i.e., what is a Scientific Hypothesis attempting to elucidate...?
e.  What is the goal of EVERY SINGLE Scientific Inquiry...?

Each can be answered with no more than a short sentence.  

btw: You MUST be able to answer these questions to Pass 5th Grade General Science, so the burden is light. 

Please, if you will...

ps.  The Navy's Primary Navigation Tool is "Gyros"... NOT GPS (Ground Positioning System).

regards

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,604
  • Content Per Day:  3.99
  • Days Won:  21

Yes. I learned in the days of dead reckoning too. If you had a Loran then you were really something! Now I use my phone's GPS receiver to find the nearest McDonald's.

Thanks for the kindly reply.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

1 hour ago, Enoch2021 said:

Say again?

I beg to differ.

Red Herring and Begging The Question Fallacies.

The question isn't measuring Atmospheric Pressure, it's...

How do you have a Pressurized System (Gas/Atmospheric Pressure) to BEGIN WITH...so as to "Measure".

And we can get to that right after you show how we can have a Gas/Atmospheric Pressure without a Container...?

regards

So you dispute the fact that measurements of atmosphere have been taken, or is it my terminology you have a problem with. So if I agree our atmosphere is contained, then can we discuss measurements taken at various altitudes?  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,036
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

I have a lot of respect for what it takes to actually fly a plane.  

actually it is very easy to fly a plane (unless you are a stunt or fighter pilot)......   it's the landing part that's tricky.   First you gotta find where you want to land and finish up with the pointy end up.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Enoch2021 said:

In a letter to Dr. Richard Bentley on Feb. 25th, 1692, Isaac Newton says: 

"Tis inconceivable that inanimate brute matter should (without mediation of something else which is not material) operate upon and affect other matter without mutual contact... 
That gravity should be innate inherent and essential to matter so that one body can act upon another at a distance through a vacuum without mediation of anything else by and through which their action or force may be conveyed from one to another is to me SO GREAT AN ABSURDITY that I believe no man who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking can ever fall into it."
Scheurer, PB., Debrock, G: Newton's Scientific and Philosophical Legacy, 1988, p.52

So if you are correct, in that much of what I learned even in grade school is factually incorrect, which is a possibility, than do you have any answers in how things work?  I think I understand your posts to imply rhe moon and earth are not spheres and gravitational forces do not act as I was taught, such as the moon being responsible for ocean tides. Can you explain ocean tides some other way or will you just dismiss all my simple questions?

8 minutes ago, hmbld said:

So you dispute the fact that measurements of atmosphere have been taken, or is it my terminology you have a problem with.

Neither.

My argument is 2 Fold:

1. How do you have a GAS PRESSURE (Atmospheric Pressure) WITHOUT a Container...."TO BEGIN WITH" ?? When...

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER". 
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchembook/180pressure.html

Basically, explain how you can have a "Tire Pressure"... 

WITHOUT THE TIRE !!! :blink:

2. How can you have a Vacuum (Outer-Space) attached to a Non-Vacuum (Earth) WITHOUT a Physical Barrier in the same system simultaneously, without Bludgeoning to a Bloody Pulp... the Laws of Entropy (2LOT) ??

a.  In other words, How are you still Breathing and adhering to the fairytale 'Narrative'... BOTH, at the same time??

b.  Then, Define the Law of Non-Contradiction...?

c.  Then, please list each fairytale associated with "Outer-Space" that gets taken out back to the Woodshed and Bludgeoned Senseless as a result of the fairytale "Vacuum of Space" VAPORIZING....?

As you can see, "MEASURING" Atmospheric Pressure isn't among them...it's a Red Herring Fallacy (Irrelevant). 

So if I agree our atmosphere is contained, then can we discuss measurements taken at various altitudes?

This isn't a Subjective (Agree/Disagree) Topic...it's either Black or White.

regards 

3 minutes ago, Enoch2021 said:

Neither.

My argument is 2 Fold:

1. How do you have a GAS PRESSURE (Atmospheric Pressure) WITHOUT a Container...."TO BEGIN WITH" ?? When...

"The "PRESSURE OF A GAS" is the force that the gas exerts on the WALLS OF IT'S CONTAINER". 
http://chemistry.elmhurst.edu/vchembook/180pressure.html

Basically, explain how you can have a "Tire Pressure"... 

WITHOUT THE TIRE !!! :blink:

2. How can you have a Vacuum (Outer-Space) attached to a Non-Vacuum (Earth) WITHOUT a Physical Barrier in the same system simultaneously, without Bludgeoning to a Bloody Pulp... the Laws of Entropy (2LOT) ??

a.  In other words, How are you still Breathing and adhering to the fairytale 'Narrative'... BOTH, at the same time??

b.  Then, Define the Law of Non-Contradiction...?

c.  Then, please list each fairytale associated with "Outer-Space" that gets taken out back to the Woodshed and Bludgeoned Senseless as a result of the fairytale "Vacuum of Space" VAPORIZING....?

As you can see, "MEASURING" Atmospheric Pressure isn't among them...it's a Red Herring Fallacy (Irrelevant). 

This isn't a Subjective (Agree/Disagree) Topic...it's either Black or White.

regards 

Maybe your too intelligent and talking over my capacity. I can't quite get it. 

How about, why do my ears pop when climbing even 100 feet in elevation?

16 minutes ago, hmbld said:

So if you are correct, in that much of what I learned even in grade school is factually incorrect, which is a possibility, than do you have any answers in how things work?  

1.  Can you be a bit more specific (How what works?).

2.  I don't need a replacement 'theory' to PUMMEL the current 'Narrative'. 
The appeal is tantamount to a Judge not allowing a Defendant to present a case for his innocence until such time as the Defendant has found a suitable replacement for the CRIME!  Which is quite inane.

I think I understand your posts to imply rhe moon and earth are not spheres and gravitational forces do not act as I was taught, such as the moon being responsible for ocean tides.

1.   I don't know for a Fact that the Moon is/isn't a Sphere (I know with Absolute Certainty the Earth isn't ;)).

2.  Scientifically Validate the Moon being responsible for Ocean Tides...

a.  What Phenomenon was Observed...?
b.  Post the Formal Scientific Hypothesis then EXPERIMENT that validates your claim...?
c.  Highlight the "Independent Variable" that was used in the TEST...?
d.  Post the Null Hypothesis that was Rejected/Falsified...? 

3.  Scientifically Validate 'gravity'...? (Same abcd above)

Can you explain ocean tides some other way or will you just dismiss all my simple questions?

1.  False Dichotomy (Fallacy).

2.  It would just be a "Speculation" on my part... I tend to not hang out in that Neighborhood.

3.  It's not a "Simple" question.

regards

7 minutes ago, hmbld said:

Maybe your too intelligent and talking over my capacity. I can't quite get it. 

I don't think that's the Case; the 2 questions are not that complicated.

How about, why do my ears pop when climbing even 100 feet in elevation?

Again Irrelevant (Red Herring Fallacy) to the subject.

regards