• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,573
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, ayin jade said:

In a discussion, a phrase came up and I noted that it was not in the bible. Someone then showed me it was in the living bible translation. When I later looked it up in other translations, I noticed that it matched none of the other translations. It was even further astray than the message bible, and thats saying a lot.

Im curious what yall think of the living bible translation.

sux

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,366
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Many years ago, about the only choice you had was extremely literal translations or literal translations.  For example the KJV or RSV.  As I recall, the TLB came about because someone wanted their kids to be able to enjoy reading the Bible.  He basically paraphrased it for his kids and then started systematically do the entire Bible.  As I understand it, the NLT (New Living Translation) is a different version.   I did a quick look up and found the Wiki article has some nice info that corresponds to what I remember of it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Living_Bible 

Way back when when I became a Christian, you had few choices.  Either highly literal like KJV or RSV or a paraphrase like the TLB.  I liked the TLB for awhile and then went with the NIV (a dynamic equivalent translation) when it came out.  When doing study back then, I'd use multiple versions along with Strong's concordance and the typical older tools.

I find that there are 3 typical types of Bible reading that most Christians do to some extent.

1. Devotional reading and memorizing.  This is the daily, "what does God have for me today" type of reading.  Most Christians I know have a favorite version they like to use for this.  Some people like literal (and have used the KJV for decades), others like dynamic equivalents or paraphrases for this.  Back in the day, I used the TLB for this.

2. Study.  This is looking in depth at a particular verse, passage, or book.  Most Christians I know will use multiple versions plus other study tools to do this.

3. Extensive reading.  This is reading the entire Bible through in a relatively short time in order to see the big picture.  I know fewer Christians who do this, but one of the keys seems to be a version that is comfortable for them to read.  My sense is that dynamic equivalents and paraphrases get used for this type of reading more than literal versions.

My sense is that the Living Bible (at least the old version, not necessarily the newer version of it which I've never read) has had its run of usefulness.  It helped a lot of Christians many years ago by filling a need that newer dynamic equivalence translations have helped fill.  

I haven't read it in many years, though I have fond memories of it.  I think I still have that old greenish hard cover version with my name engraved that my parents gave me probably 40 years ago.

You know the Lord has given us the Word to divide good from evil, darkness from light, truth from a lie, to look inside our hearts and see our need for Christ Jesus. To be a light for others. But he did not give us his Word to condemn people. He Is the Judge of man and He has offered sinners salvation grace and hope till we take our last breath.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

3 minutes ago, Reinitin said:

You know the Lord has given us the Word to divide good from evil, darkness from light, truth from a lie, to look inside our hearts and see our need for Christ Jesus. To be a light for others. But he did not give us his Word to condemn people. He Is the Judge of man and He has offered sinners salvation grace and hope till we take our last breath.  

May I ask something for clarification?  When a person talks to someone about the need for Christ, are they not judging them by suggesting that they need Christ and Salvation?  By this very suggestion, are they not referring to the fact that in their current state, they are condemned?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

The Living Bible (translation) is a paraphrase that's goal is to get to the  heart (heart to heart translation) imstead of the word for word translation. It is a worthy translation for personal reading and to commune with Christ, but not for in depth study. 

The Living Bible should not be confused with The New Living Translation Bible. The Living Bible with green cover and celtic/Irish Cathedral window was translated by one man for the purpose of helping people get to God's heart. In contrast, the NLT has around 200-400 scholars of all denominations translating it.  

Edited by Fidei Defensor

4 minutes ago, OneLight said:

May I ask something for clarification?  When a person talks to someone about the need for Christ, are they not judging them by suggesting that they need Christ and Salvation?  By this very suggestion, are they not referring to the fact that in their current state, they are condemned?

We can make another thread and both post scripture on the work of God through Christ Jesus and the condition of man in the flesh. why we need Christ in us to stand before God, the blood for attoinment, to be made a new creation from heavenly seed. Im not trying to start this coversation. I just used an example of someone who survived a great persicution and helped many people keep hope and gain faith with only a Phillip's paraphrased new testiment. I guess the example I used is a name that is known all over the world for her testimony and now that she is dead i guess her life is slandared and it opened a doctrin attack door. Im on lunch but when Im off work I can discuss those things with you on an appropriate thread. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

8 minutes ago, Reinitin said:

We can make another thread and both post scripture on the work of God through Christ Jesus and the condition of man in the flesh. why we need Christ in us to stand before God, the blood for attoinment, to be made a new creation from heavenly seed. Im not trying to start this coversation. I just used an example of someone who survived a great persicution and helped many people keep hope and gain faith with only a Phillip's paraphrased new testiment. I guess the example I used is a name that is known all over the world for her testimony and now that she is dead i guess her life is slandared and it opened a doctrin attack door. Im on lunch but when Im off work I can discuss those things with you on an appropriate thread. 

No need.  I was only asking for clarification so I can follow your train of thought.  If this is not important to you, understanding where you are coming from, then just forget I even asked.

10 minutes ago, OneLight said:

No need.  I was only asking for clarification so I can follow your train of thought.  If this is not important to you, understanding where you are coming from, then just forget I even asked.

Nope. I m just responding to the stuff that shows up on my bell icon. I need to pray for  the darn bell icon it is alway bringing me to thinks that make me go huh? wait? bolognia!.. :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

6 hours ago, Reinitin said:

If we posted a movie of all the dirt we could dig up on anyone but Christ We could sit around and Judge everyone, slander an discredit every one of us sinful people that dare to stand up before people and confess Jesus Christ has come in the flesh. Im sure being in a prison camp, watching her family die she may of got some of her doctrin wrong but she got love right and the right Jesus and forgiveness right.

I wouldn't consider anything cannon but cannon which even Paul has letters that didn't make it into cannon. Satan is the accuser of brethern Not Jesus. Talk about issues in doctrin. then amen. condemn her? It's satanic works.

don’t judge anything prematurely, before the Lord comes, who will both bring to light what is hidden in darkness and reveal the intentions of the hearts. And then praise will come to each one from God.

I heard of a methodist man that spoke boldly of Christ Jesus. he was illierate had his wife help him learn to write in his thirty's. Someone started to attack him about his grammar. He stood up straight bold in the Lord and said. I give 100% of my bad grammar to the Lord How much of your gammar is for the Lord. 

Corrie gave her imperfect self to the Lord. she was his he will judge her and you and me so let Him be judge of people.

Angels was not judging her. Angels was posting a movie that showed how godly she is. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

7 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Many years ago, about the only choice you had was extremely literal translations or literal translations.  For example the KJV or RSV.  As I recall, the TLB came about because someone wanted their kids to be able to enjoy reading the Bible.  He basically paraphrased it for his kids and then started systematically do the entire Bible.  As I understand it, the NLT (New Living Translation) is a different version.   I did a quick look up and found the Wiki article has some nice info that corresponds to what I remember of it.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Living_Bible 

Way back when when I became a Christian, you had few choices.  Either highly literal like KJV or RSV or a paraphrase like the TLB.  I liked the TLB for awhile and then went with the NIV (a dynamic equivalent translation) when it came out.  When doing study back then, I'd use multiple versions along with Strong's concordance and the typical older tools.

I find that there are 3 typical types of Bible reading that most Christians do to some extent.

1. Devotional reading and memorizing.  This is the daily, "what does God have for me today" type of reading.  Most Christians I know have a favorite version they like to use for this.  Some people like literal (and have used the KJV for decades), others like dynamic equivalents or paraphrases for this.  Back in the day, I used the TLB for this.

2. Study.  This is looking in depth at a particular verse, passage, or book.  Most Christians I know will use multiple versions plus other study tools to do this.

3. Extensive reading.  This is reading the entire Bible through in a relatively short time in order to see the big picture.  I know fewer Christians who do this, but one of the keys seems to be a version that is comfortable for them to read.  My sense is that dynamic equivalents and paraphrases get used for this type of reading more than literal versions.

My sense is that the Living Bible (at least the old version, not necessarily the newer version of it which I've never read) has had its run of usefulness.  It helped a lot of Christians many years ago by filling a need that newer dynamic equivalence translations have helped fill.  

I haven't read it in many years, though I have fond memories of it.  I think I still have that old greenish hard cover version with my name engraved that my parents gave me probably 40 years ago.

My wife and I (now 44 years married) were saved in the old Jesus Movement of the late 60s/early 70s, and we were given a copy of the Living Bible as a wedding present.  We read it until it literally came apart. As we grew in our faith we discovered other translations, but man, we still have fond memories of that green old Bible!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

The Living Bible - Pro’s and con’s
As with any paraphrase, putting the Bible "in your own words" runs the risk of enabling your own biases, thoughts, and preferences to influence what the Bible says. This is impossible to avoid. The primary problem of any paraphrase of the Bible is that it inputs far too much of a person's opinion of what the Bible says, instead of simply stating what the Bible says. There is nothing inherently wrong with a paraphrase, as long as users of the paraphrase understand exactly what it is - not a Bible translation, but rather an interpretation/commentary on what the Bible says.

The Living Bible - Sample verses
John 1:1-2, 14 – “Before anything else existed, there was Christ, with God. He has always been alive and is himself God. And Christ became a human being and lived here on earth among us and was full of loving forgiveness and truth. And some of us have seen his glory – the glory of the only Son of the heavenly Father.”

John 3:16 – “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son so that anyone who believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

John 8:58 – “Jesus: ‘The absolute truth is that I was in existence before Abraham was ever born!’”

Ephesians 2:8-9 – “ Because of his kindness, you have been saved through trusting Christ. And even trusting is not of yourselves; it too is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good we have done, so none of us can take any credit for it.”

Titus 2:13 – “looking forward to that wonderful time we have been expecting, when his glory shall be seen – the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.”

https://www.gotquestions.org/The-Living-Bible-TLB.html