• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

14 hours ago, brakelite said:

No, no revival meetings...here's the long story if you are interested...https://brakelite.wordpress.com/2014/02/09/from-blindness-to-freedom-to-hope/

Thank you brakelite.

I went to the site and started to read but had to go.  I have written down the link in case I lose this thread somewhere and can't remember how to get back to it.  I want to read your whole story.  I have a special interest in Kiwis as my husband is one and most of his family still live there.  So thanks bro.  BTW, I didn't get saved in a revival meeting.  Maybe I will tell you my story one day too.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Wasn't it the Beetles who sang the song Yesterday?  I always liked it.  But then, I long for the values of the 50s!

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,488
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

On 2/3/2018 at 7:38 AM, brakelite said:

.pass by a public toilet without asking myself if I can make it to the next one.

You must be around my age?

WWW dot doesn't mean world wide web to me. Always at the back of the Walmart store it means, the "Walmart Waddle Walk" to the front of the store, FAST! I won't comment about the 'dot'...

Well, as Christians we long for the future and to be with Jesus. 

With that said, life was sure a lot simpler and safer growing up in the 1950's. When you heard a conversation about a rainbow, you didn't have to ask yourself what the rainbow represented. Locking the house doors wasn't a high priority "back in the day". 

Courtesy was common back then, when was the last time you heard a child, teen or young adult respond by saying, "yes sir, or yes mam?" I liked the funny hairdo's and hats women wore back then, and the 25 cent a gallon gasoline of the 1960's. 

We even did us some square dancing. When was the last time y'all went to a square dance :D  

Well, my giddy up and dosey doe has now departed the building...

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  552
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

Dennis,

Those were indeed some good times...and some bad. But way more simple, which I certainly appreciated now looking back. If I could give you a book about my experiences then, you could probably relate. Anyway, I would share, but it's probably just easier to have you seek it out on your own: Walking Like Einstein. Groovy man!

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, ScottA said:

Dennis,

Those were indeed some good times...and some bad. But way more simple, which I certainly appreciated now looking back. If I could give you a book about my experiences then, you could probably relate. Anyway, I would share, but it's probably just easier to have you seek it out on your own: Walking Like Einstein. Groovy man!

Some bad times yes. Like frequent introductions to the "board of education". Today there are children who sue their parents for corporal punishment and most laws call it abuse. 

paddle.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  552

5 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Some bad times yes. Like frequent introductions to the "board of education". Today there are children who sue their parents for corporal punishment and most laws call it abuse. 

paddle.jpg

Hahaha.. Our board was a bit wider like a ping pong paddle...and usually broke during use.

5 minutes ago, ScottA said:

Hahaha.. Our board was a bit wider like a ping pong paddle...and usually broke during use.

The board of education I was learned real gooder on was much thicker than that one and had holes drilled into it. I'll have to admit, the one time I was introduced to it changed my attitude. Don't get caught next time :laugh:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  977

2 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

You must be around my age?

WWW dot doesn't mean world wide web to me. Always at the back of the Walmart store it means, the "Walmart Waddle Walk" to the front of the store, FAST! I won't comment about the 'dot'...

lol...I'm 65...for a year or two I have become aware that age brings about a change in dynamics...we revert to baby-hood. We pee half as much but twice as often.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  977

I think the beauty of those "old days" was indeed the simplicity. Today, I think the 'busyness' of our lives distracts, deceives,  and to a great extent even obliterates those things that are really important. Like prayer and Bible study. Like visiting friends. LIke having visitors. Like relaxing with your kids at the local park (if you can avoid the hooligans and drug addicts) , like spending time with your kids teaching them how not build a trolley (are those things even legal these days)

Edited by brakelite