IGNORED

should psych drugs be given to a comatose person?

turtletwo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

Has anyone else been poa for a loved one in a coma?

I face a scary decision. Mom's new nursing home asked me if I wanted her to stop her psych drug called Celexa. Anyone out there familiar with this drug?

Being brain damaged & unresponsive, a nurse said it seems pointless to take something for depression.

But she's taken Celexa since Sept 2016. I'm afraid to take her off because if she goes through withdrawal symptoms she can't communicate what she is suffering!! What do you think?

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, turtletwo said:

I face a scary decision. Mom's new nursing home asked me if I wanted her to stop her psych drug called Celexa. Anyone out there familiar with this drug?

Being brain damaged & unresponsive, a nurse said it seems pointless to take something for depression.

But she's taken Celexa since Sept 2016. I'm afraid to take her off because if she goes through withdrawal symptoms she can't communicate what she is suffering!! What do you think?

My father a life long alcoholic, during his last days in hospitals was violent when conscious and restless when "Asleep", until I told the doctors he was going to be that way until they give him booze. They ordered a booze IV and he was fine from then on until he died.

At this point for your mom, why stop, is the greater question far as I can see. I wouldn't make that change personally. My thought is why start changing her body chemistry? She may not be able to communicate pain  and disruption, but she also does not need to suffer it needlessly because someone thinks a med is wasted on her.

Sorry for your dilemma, hang on! Been there four times so far. It doesn't get easier but "we"  do get smarter as we deal with it.

ps- BTW is your mom now in a nursing home? Or a rehab facility? if in a rehab watch your dates for end of availability if there is no "progress" and document any times she is back in any hospital so that rehab time starts anew if she is on Medicare or a Medicare advantage or similar plan.

You will likely need to find a helpful administrator staffer at the facility, and may have to fight by making appeals to SS medicare. Make sure you make any appeal in time!!!  Again, make a friend in administration at the facility.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

6 hours ago, turtletwo said:

Was she taking it for depression? There are many reasons to take that medication.

Stopping celexa cold turkey has serious consequences to a body. Even a comatose person would suffer. However it can be stopped if they do a taper. That is, if it is withdrawn slowly, using increasingly smaller amounts. The doc would know the dosing schedule for withdrawing it. 

It is best to ask a pharmacist where you live for medical advice regarding your moms medications instead of asking anyone on worthy, almost all of whom have no medical background.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,187
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

3 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Was she taking it for depression? There are many reasons to take that medication.

Stopping celexa cold turkey has serious consequences to a body. Even a comatose person would suffer. However it can be stopped if they do a taper. That is, if it is withdrawn slowly, using increasingly smaller amounts. The doc would know the dosing schedule for withdrawing it. 

It is best to ask a pharmacist where you live for medical advice regarding your moms medications instead of asking anyone on worthy, almost all of whom have no medical background.

me doc with ball and chain 245.jpgcheck :happyhappy: 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Maybe its just me but I shy away from questions like  this.  It's something that  should be directed to a doctor.  I doubt if anyone here is qualified to answer although we all have opinions, for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.33
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, enoob57 said:

me doc with ball and chain 245.jpgcheck :happyhappy: 

Steven.    you freaking out the barn yard animals with these pictures .      You scaring the children .  

• Haha 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, turtletwo said:

What do you think?

If she doesn't have a living will, someone other than her has to make the choices, I'm on similar meds and wouldn't want them stopped until it was time to pull the plug, if I can't function like I did before the coma, pull the plug.

God may forgive everyone, look at this verse.

Jonah chapter 4 verse 11

And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left--and also many animals?"

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Steven.    you freaking out the barn yard animals with these pictures .      You scaring the children .  

I like them, they challenge my mind, trying to figure them out. An obvious doctor/physician. His feet chained (cannot move/act?)
Check with the doctor?

Does the picture scare you, Friend?

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

7 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Maybe its just me but I shy away from questions like  this.  It's something that  should be directed to a doctor.  I doubt if anyone here is qualified to answer although we all have opinions, for sure.

Jadey is qualified. But I do think this is something that should be asked locally and not on the internet.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,187
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

3 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Jadey is qualified. But I do think this is something that should be asked locally and not on the internet.

we know this of you :happyhappy:  something I've always wondered is there any significance to the color and shape of pills?