Christiangal

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

They way I understand it this way: Church of Christ (strict), Church of God (moderate, Evangelical like), and Assemblies of God (charismatic). 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

Our neighborhood “ Church of Christ “ informed my wife she would roast in Hell for smoking cigarettes.Thankfully she abandoned that place.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,310
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

8 hours ago, Christiangal said:

Hi guys. So I went to a Church of Christ event. This is a very big church in every city in the world. They call themselves a non-denominational Church . I really enjoyed it. They had such fun stuff all the time. Then I find out that they believe that you get the Holy Spirit when you are water baptized. They take that verse in Acts literally, forgot which one. Anywho, I was thrown for a loop when they actually told me that I don’t have the Holy Spirit because I need to get water baptized first. So this stinks because I was enjoying all the fun events they have but does this mean I shouldn’t go to their church anymore?  Or is it ok for me to still go even though I know that their belief about water baptism is nonsense.....????

It's best to avoid a legalistic church as you don't want to fall into their mindset.

And just think if they had told a really new Christian that they didn't have the Holy Spirit because they hadn't been water baptised!  Thankfully, you knew that was error on their part.

Many years ago my aunt Ann had attended a church which condemned her for using nail polish.  She ended up leaving that church and later got involved with the Armstrong cult.   She was with the Armstrong cult for nearly all of her life.  She did die saved after a horrible ordeal with cancer.  My mom prayed with her, too, just before my aunt died.

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,020
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,310
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

9 minutes ago, Badjao33 said:

I was invited to visit a Church of Christ here in the Philippines. There are reasons to stay away from this church. First, they only recognize baptism that takes place within their church. If you were previously baptized anywhere else it's invalid because you were not baptized into the true "Church of Christ". 

I was also invited to "Bible Study" and I accepted the invitation. Here I learned that I had to write down every sin I had ever committed in my life as far back as I could remember and give it to the "brother" that invited me where it would be held in confidence. I refused to do this and of course they tried to tell me where this was supported in the Bible. The "Bible Study" was not really a Bible study at all, it's intended to indoctrinate people into their church. Each week they would discuss a different topic and have flip charts and handouts for their presentation. They had several different "Bible study" groups, but they were all made up of two or three church members and only one non-church member in each group.  

I continued going to this "Bible Study" for several weeks, they were held weekly, not with the intention of ever joining their church, but with hopes of showing them their error. They pretty much ignored anything I had to say or show them in scripture, and since I was outnumbered, it was a losing battle. 

In a short time I was able to learn that serious personal relationships with those outside the church were not permitted. Also, when I was in a group and introduced to new people they would refer to me as their friend, while everyone else in the group was referred to as either a brother or sister. 

I visited this church about six or seven times and went to about a dozen "Bible Studies".  It has been two years since I have had any personal contact with this church, but every few weeks I still get a text message encouraging me to return. They are very persistent in bringing you into their church.

Not everything is negative about the Church of Christ that I attended.

The people in the church I attended do have a genuine love for Jesus and a concern for others including those outside the church. Everyone I met from the church was very kind and I always felt welcome. They are very charitable and do a lot of outreach in the community in both deeds and evangelizing. The church has a strong sense of belonging and their community is very strong. Even the ties between those attending this Church of Christ here and those in other countries are strong. These are traits that are missing in many churches and I respect and admire the Church of Christ and its members for these qualities. 

The above is my personal experience with this church. I'm sure there are variations from church to church, but I would think that stressing that they are the only true church and that baptism in their church is the only valid baptism would be universal. 

Sounds more like how a cult would indoctrinate "friends" or new members of their church.    Any church that is legalistic is not really recognizing the work of the Holy Spirit in individual Christians.   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

1 hour ago, Debp said:

Sounds more like how a cult would indoctrinate "friends" or new members of their church.    Any church that is legalistic is not really recognizing the work of the Holy Spirit in individual Christians.   

Indeed, their water baptism doctrine ignores that their is baptism of the Spirit: 

The Baptism is the Holy Spirit is a separate event, “When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that the people of Samaria had accepted God’s message, they sent Peter and John there. 15 As soon as they arrived, they prayed for these new believers to receive the Holy Spirit. 16 The Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them, for they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John laid their hands upon these believers, and they received the Holy Spirit,” (Acts 8:14-17), and, “While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?”

They answered,

“No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

“John’s baptism,” they replied.

Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[b] and prophesied. There were about twelve men in all.” (Acts 19:1-6). 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

Even further.  Some Pentecostal churches believe you are not saved if you do not speak in tongues.  They may not have it stated in that way in their statement of belief, but a chat with the members would reveal that to this extent.   

It's all the reason that a believer should be reading his bible, listening to a wide variety of sermons and of course praying about things hard to understand to us.  The Baptist does not believe in the speaking of tongues and it is not accepted in the pews.   Unless, maybe, it is an independent baptist church, that has no formal affiliation with the  parent church and therefore does not observe the rules.   

Church as I have come to observe, is an experience by itself and  each has to make his own decision as to what is acceptable as to his own acceptable theology.  It is just like people crossing the street , each has to decide when to put his foot on the pavement after observing the traffic.

Edited by warrior12

• Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,569
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

13 hours ago, Christiangal said:

Hi guys. So I went to a Church of Christ event. This is a very big church in every city in the world. They call themselves a non-denominational Church . I really enjoyed it. They had such fun stuff all the time. Then I find out that they believe that you get the Holy Spirit when you are water baptized. They take that verse in Acts literally, forgot which one. Anywho, I was thrown for a loop when they actually told me that I don’t have the Holy Spirit because I need to get water baptized first. So this stinks because I was enjoying all the fun events they have but does this mean I shouldn’t go to their church anymore?  Or is it ok for me to still go even though I know that their belief about water baptism is nonsense.....????

Hi, I attended and associated with a local body of Christians at a Church of Christ. They are independent, each totally in charge of their  own group, but do have a specific and common doctrine.

They are very caring loving and helpful brother and sisters. They do have a lot of  less common understandings that made it impossible fo rme to continue attending with  them.

Water baptism saves - if one comes to the moment they want salvation they must be baptized in water, even in the middle of the night. We had such an event. A Person was baptized in a member's swimming pool by the local congregation's pastor before some witnesses.

One can lose their salvation, and regain it, and lose it, and regain it, dependent upon the individual's behavior. That made them very worried Chritains trying to be  in favor again before sundown if they thought they had sinned, but also made for very active Christians.

They  had music rules- No instruments of any kind, and the whole congregation sings hymns from a hymnal. I thought it always interesting that  they used a pitch pipe to get on key.

They read verse by verse through the Bible starting at Genesis  through to,  and watch it now, Jude. Then they go back to  back to Genesis. Whoa what happened to Revelation?

I had found as I attended that some things just didn't add up, but when I asked questions there was no answer coming. Alert, alert,  it doesn't add up!  Then at our home study group they brought in a ringer, their regional expert pastor, who started lecturing at the home study, a nice guy, but an  authority to not be questioned.

So I asked him, hey what happened to Revelation I was interested because this church seems to think it is in the 1000 year reign of Christ and that Satan is bound and  it just isn't making sense to me. I was told Satan is bound and that Revelation cannot be read  at church or home study group because it must be read in conjunction with Daniel and the two can't be read at the same time.  

What??? Well thank you very much, been fun love you all, but I must go on my way, see you around. 

And they never accepted that I had then been led to another church body.

To my knowledge and experience,  they were more than fun, they were also very serious and caring, and generous. And yes concerned. When I went on a kayaking trip with a couple from the church come Sunday they wanted me to go. I said sure. and way out in the country the pastor, also their friend, just happened to feel the call to "someone" to come back that was in their presence that had fallen away. 

As I stated nice  people , but the doctrines and understandings, oh my-

And- you mention them as large. They are scattered all over, but tend to be  small groups. In fact the group I was with wanted no more people than the ones we had. ( Less than 80 of us). They wanted a new group established if more came, because they didn't really want to bring in more to their circle. I was on the cusp of being  within their acceptable number.

I love them all , but they fear for my salvation because I attend a church with musical instruments.  It makes it hard for them to accept me anymore. I am in between shunned and prayed for I guess.

But again they are all so very nice fearful of God people.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Brilliant! 1

3 hours ago, Cletus said:

No music?  what about

There is a doctrine of their groups  they follow even as a slogan,  "Where the Bible Speaks, We Speak. Where the Bible is Silent, We're Silent".

As result they believe there to have been musical instruments in the Old Testament, yet no mention of musical instruments in the new testament, therefore no musical instruments are to be used when singing praises to God.

They did sing from a hymn book and know most all the older standard hymns most older Christians  are familiar with. The group I was with did split into men and women for some hymns, yet other groups found that to be prideful, a possible competition, a sin to be avoided.

Edited by Neighbor

14 hours ago, Christiangal said:

I was thrown for a loop when they actually told me that I don’t have the Holy Spirit because I need to get water baptized first.

Hi, More from this peanut gallery- I think they were telling that one is not saved without water baptism therefore one does not yet have the Holy Spirit indwelling them. Both come with water Baptism- salvation and the Holy Spirit indwelling of the person now saved by water baptism. Again though, one can be in danger of losing salvation each day too. Never did figure whether water baptism was needed yet again. UI don't remember witnessing any second and third and fourth baptisms. 

It is very much a individual's freewill and strongly anti Calvinist group. Whereas most Christians don't know a Calvinist from an Arminianist and don't care even if they do, except for a few on these Christian Message Boards that get all worked up one way or another over it  to the point it is as important to them as is Christ.  It is a huge issue with the CoC  group leadership.  Yes, they have leadership though each congregation is independent.

What do I think? I think God has led me through every church group I have been a part of. He has used each experience to my overall benefit and learning. So if God is dragging you through some association with some of the CoC,  I think God has used it for a good purpose in your life, further that you had ought to pray  before God and ask Him does He want of you to learn more or move on? And you could pray for the saints you have met there already too. I bet they are praying for you.

I will take liberty here and now to pray: I pray that you are led to the associations with saints in Christ Jesus and to duties and privileges of association at congregations where God wills you to be for your personal growth and sanctification. Amen.

Take care enjoy your journey -

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

God is not keeping any of the first creation when all His Word is accomplished in what He says He will do within it... So anyone trying to mix the stuff that is here with eternal matters is basically saying flesh stuff that passes away and not Spirit stuff that extends into the eternities ….