Guest dustandashes

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Days Won:  0

Keep in mind, when paul says not to act like the world, he is not speaking about the metaphysical world but instead the morals of the world.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Ok, i am going to be dumb and put my two sense in.

Iryssa, you said:

Oh, it's just not you...it's incredible to me that some people think that a thing so little as a song or a t-shirt can suddenly make people unsaved in another Christian's eyes. 

there is a reason that that could be.  I guess it is called a mixed signal.  For instance, you see a church bus parked, and the bus driver is smokin' a cigarette; what does that make you think? Hypocrite maybe?

I hardly think that smoking can be compared to musical tastes.

Would you think that that person has accepted Chrsit from first glance? The bible says that If a man be in Christ, he is a new creature, old things are past away, behold, all things become new(Sorry if misquoted). You wouldn't expect a Christian to be smoking and you wouldn't Expect them to be cursing in a way that would make a sailor blush with shame.  The lost know how a christian is supposed to act, and when they are seen doing somthign they are not supposed to, they probably say "they are no differnt then the rest of us."  Acceptign Christ means a change, and seeing a christian listenign to rock or wearing a wrong kind of shirt, one would not look at them and say "Hey, there is something differnt about them."

We're not talking about Christians listening to secular rock here. We're talking about "Gospel Rock" or "Contemporary Christian Music." If we WERE talking about regular rock, I'd consider your arguments completely valid.

On that note, just because Christian "versions" of music use the same beats does NOT mean they're the same as the secular songs. Do you believe that teens can't hear the difference in the words?? Trust me, young people really are observant enough to hear the difference between Eminem and John Reuben (a Christian rap artist).

I've always listened to this Christian rock, and TRUST me, people noticed the difference. One of my nicknames in highschool was "Churchey."

I have to be honest, i am against this "christian" rock, rap, punk, etc. That type of music(rock, rap etc) are of the world.  Another thing, i have never heard of this until recently.  THe bible says "Be not conformed to this world but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind that ye may prove that which is the holy, acceptable, and perfect will of God." Changing the bible standards of music to fit to our own desires.. is that right?

For one thing, the church as we know it has always done this kind of thing. One of the reasons for choosing Dec. 25th as the date we celebrated Christ's birth was that it conveniently distracted people from the worship of the Pagan god Mithra.

How is this any different, when one of the goals of having Christian music that teens will enjoy is to distract from the secular versions of such music??

Forget christian rock and everything, just think abotu the stuff of hte world for a minute.  Many times, one cannot even understand the words.  They are listening to the beat.. now why do they do that? What is their entire purpose for listenign to that music?

This is a hasty generalization. I can assure you that most teens and young adults do know the words to the songs they listen to. They'll spend time looking for the lyrics online if they can't understand them and they aren't in the album cover. Most of them have adapted their ears to the music and CAN understand the words anyway.

Now, changing to music like that, even changing aroudn the words.. is that right?

You can take in a stray dog, tidy it up, make it so it looks nice.. but is it not the same dog?  Take music of the world, change around the words but keep the beat... is it right? "Be not conformed to this world" "Come out from amoung them and be YE seperate saith the Lord.."

Think about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What, exactly, is evil about a beat?? I had no idea a beat could be intrinsically evil.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

I wish Led Zepplin would have been a Christian Band. What a rythem section!

Dan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would've rocked!! Led Zep are great!!!!!

My 13 year old daughter came home 2 weeks ago with an assignment from school. Each in her class was to make a CD/tape of their favorite songs. They were to have at least 8 songs by 8 different artists. They had to design an "album cover", describe the type of music and its message to the class.  These were the songs she chose for her CD......

Awesome God

Fields of Grace

Give Us Clean Hands

Here I Am to Worship

How Deep The Fathers Love For Us

I Can Only Imagine

Last Words

Talk About It

The Little Girl

When He Reigns

Your Beloved

She's presenting it to her class today. Hallelujha!

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is such a cool assignment!! I wish I had to do that at school.

there is a reason that that could be.  I guess it is called a mixed signal.  For instance, you see a church bus parked, and the bus driver is smokin' a cigarette; what does that make you think? Hypocrite maybe?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally I would not be so quick to assume one's believes mearly on whether they are smoking or not. I would hope that no one would be that naive.

Forget christian rock and everything, just think abotu the stuff of hte world for a minute.  Many times, one cannot even understand the words.  They are listening to the beat.. now why do they do that? What is their entire purpose for listenign to that music?

Now, changing to music like that, even changing aroudn the words.. is that right?

You can take in a stray dog, tidy it up, make it so it looks nice.. but is it not the same dog?  Take music of the world, change around the words but keep the beat... is it right? "Be not conformed to this world" "Come out from amoung them and be YE seperate saith the Lord.."

Think about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off... I always listen to the lyrics. In fact, if the lyrics aren't good, I'm not interested.

I'm confused... what is so bad about a beat?? Is it just me being dumb here??

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I've always heard the objection has to do with the roots - that it comes out of African paganism.

Of course, I wonder then why these same people don't take issues with other music with Africa roots - like Jazz and the old Spirituals and Gospel. :b:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Pardon me. Is this Salem? :)

• Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

old spirituals and gospels... does that include Amazing Grace?

As a side note, the thing about the beat of the music is that it appeals to the desires of the flesh

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

Care to post the scripture refering to "desires of the flesh"?

As I said, the belief that Christian rock is evil because of the "beat' is nothing more than gnostic heresy.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

As I sit here listening to an old LP of the Blackwood Brothers (yes, my music taste is very broad! :24: ) I'm reminded of something I heard many years ago. The standard gospel quartet was based upon African music!!!! I don't remember the specifics, but isn't that interesting?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

I actually had a minister tell me that electric guitars were created only to give glory to Satan. I wonder what King David would say about that. He liked stringed instruments.I bet he would have gone electric. Electric guitars were created so guys like Les Paul and Dejango Reinhardt could be heardover the rest of the band.

There will be a band in heaven. A good one!

Dan

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/31/1981

Everything that exists today is made by God. I agree with Ronald. satan corupted music and some now days believe certain sounds or instruments are satanic or ungodly. Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Whether you use drums, electric guitars or a false voice. It all sounds good to the Lord.