• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

Hi Annette

Thank you for this thread.  What a wonderful book, I have always loved it.

There is some wonderful, valuable commentary on the book from other members.

It also pictures us following Jesus.  How He looks after us and covers us.  How can it be anything but amazing?  I also loved all the comments agreeing with you.  There is a song we used to sing, way back - a chorus:

Cover me, cover me.  Extend the border of thy mantle over me.. because Thou art my nearest kinsman .... cover me, cover me, cover me. :amen:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,264
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

8 hours ago, Mike 2 said:

King David's ancestor?!?!

Ruth was the great grandmother of King David. Therefore, an ancestor to the King of Kings, Jesus...............

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

post deleted after I realized it was too close to derailing a beautiful thread.

Edited by Jostler
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:40 AM, Annette said:

Hi guys,

Hope your new week has started out okay. 

So. I was wondering what do you find interesting or even unique about the book of Ruth.

I love the dedication that she showed to her Mother In Law, and seeing how she remained faithful to Naomi,  even after her husband had died. 

There are so many things that come to mind or stand out.

I would love to read your thoughts. 

God bless.

Hi Annette,

Great topic and hope all`s well with you and your family.

RUTH

I would like to write a few line from C.J.Rolls, a great teacher from last century.

All scripture is to reveal Christ.

The first section from Genesis to Deuteronomy concern Christ in prefiguration - the seed, the lamb, the priest, etc This reveals His moral character.

Then in the next section from Joshua to Esther, we see Christ in prevision. It concerns Christ`s governmental authority.

In Joshua the authority was virtue of right, `The Prince of the Lord`s host.`

In Judges the authority was representation, `The Angel of the Lord.`

Then in Ruth we see the authority of Christ is based on relationship and resource, for Boaz was a near kinsman and. `A mighty man of wealth.` The great essential of redemption is to be near of kin to the needy soul.

Thus Christ took on Him the seed of Abraham and was found in fashion as a man. As Son of Man He gave Himself a ransom. The right relationship having been established, the second requirement was resource, to pay the demand. The price was paid in all willingness, which implies resoluteness of will.

Christ secured the right to become redeemer by incarnation. He had the resource in His full and unforfeited life. He resolved to redeem and voluntarily offered Himself without spot to God.

Boaz said: “Ye are witnesses….I have bought all.” (Ruth 4: 9) Of Christ it is written, “sold all that he had and bought that field.” The field is the world. (Matt. 13: 44 7 48)

Marilyn.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  5

14 hours ago, Willa said:

The story of Boez being Ruth's near kinsman redeemer is what is most meaningful to me.  It is a type of Christ being our near kinsman Redeemer.

Question: "What is a kinsman redeemer?" (Got Questions)

Answer: 
The kinsman-redeemer is a male relative who, according to various laws of the Pentateuch, had the privilege or responsibility to act on behalf of a relative who was in trouble, danger, or need. The Hebrew term (go el) for kinsman-redeemer designates one who delivers or rescues (Genesis 48:16; Exodus 6:6) or redeems property or person (Leviticus 27:9–25, 25:47–55). The kinsman who redeems or vindicates a relative is illustrated most clearly in the book of Ruth, where the kinsman-redeemer is Boaz. 

The story of Ruth and Boaz begins when Ruth and her mother-in-law, Naomi, return to Bethlehem from Moab where they had been living. Naomi’s husband and both sons, one the husband of Ruth, had died, leaving the women penniless and without a male protector. Upon arriving in Bethlehem, Naomi sends Ruth to glean in the fields of Boaz, a wealthy relative of Naomi to whom they, through a series of divinely appointed circumstances, appeal as their go el. Boaz acquiesces, willingly takes Ruth as his wife, and together they bear a son named Obed who became the grandfather of David, the forefather of Jesus.

Yahweh is Israel’s Redeemer, the one who promises to defend and vindicate them. He is both Father and Deliverer (Exodus 20:2). There are numerous Old Testament appeals to God as rescuer of the weak and needy (Psalm 82:4; Daniel 6:27; Jeremiah 20:13) and preserver of the sheep of Israel (Ezekiel 34:10–12, 22).

In the New Testament, Christ is often regarded as an example of a kinsman-redeemer because, as our brother (Hebrews 2:11), He also redeems us because of our great need, one that only He can satisfy. In Ruth 3:9, we see a beautiful and poignant picture of the needy supplicant, unable to rescue herself, requesting of the kinsman-redeemer that he cover her with his protection, redeem her, and make her his wife. In the same way, the Lord Jesus Christ bought us for Himself, out of the curse, out of our destitution; made us His own beloved bride; and blessed us for all generations. He is the true kinsman-redeemer of all who call on Him in faith.

Naomi's plight, and also the promise:

Rth 1:21

“I went out full, and the LORD has brought me home again empty. Why do you call me Naomi, since the LORD has testified against me, and the Almighty has afflicted me?”

Hos 3:3-5

And I said to her, “You shall stay with me many days; you shall not play the harlot, nor shall you have a man—so, too, will I be toward you.”

For the children of Israel shall abide many days without king or prince, without sacrifice or sacred pillar, without ephod or teraphim.

Afterward the children of Israel shall return and seek the LORD their God and David their king. They shall fear the LORD and His goodness in the latter days.

And just as the baby being born causes pain and grief to the mother we must be prepared to go through tribulation and travail in giving 
birth to a Son for Israel.

19 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Isnt it also amazing how josephs wife was gentile .   So was at one time  she a gentile .,     Shows a foreshadow of gentiles being grafted into the vine by the husband .   JESUS

the savoir , husband ,  of all who do believe .   Gentiles grafted in through the bridegroom .     Just tiny nuggets .   I mean some folks say jews never married a gentile .  One of the twelve , joseph did .   And apparently this girl had been married to a jew too .   then later after his death , married boaz.

From which sprang King david,  and according to that tribe and lineage , came forth THE TRUE KING .   

Put those hands up dear sister ,  and lets turn this place into a PRAISE THE LORD FEST . 

Amen, there is a lot in this story.....we see Jesus in Boaz, and we see the church depicted in a Gentile named Ruth.  Gentiles are all through the OT scriptures as having a part in the plans of God...amazing how the book of Ruth is an instruction to the Jews looking so far into the future as to where they might expect to receive the gospel (a Son) from...from the Gentiles (church).  The church is the mystery of God from the foundation of the world.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.32
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Amen, there is a lot in this story.....we see Jesus in Boaz, and we see the church depicted in a Gentile named Ruth.  Gentiles are all through the OT scriptures as having a part in the plans of God...amazing how the book of Ruth is an instruction to the Jews looking so far into the future as to where they might expect to receive the gospel (a Son) from...from the Gentiles (church).  The church is the mystery of God from the foundation of the world.

This is what paul was saying , that through the gospel he might provoke them and some would repent and believe and would be saved .   That  I might save some .

We supposed to be preaching the gospel to not just gentiles , but every one , jews as well .     Hands up and praise the Lord .

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

This is what paul was saying , that through the gospel he might provoke them and some would repent and believe and would be saved .   That  I might save some .

We supposed to be preaching the gospel to not just gentiles , but every one , jews as well .     Hands up and praise the Lord .

Amen brother, very true.  And also Paul wrote:

Rom 11:25-26

For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob

This will not happen until the end, and please let us know your thoughts if you would, but I believe the story of Ruth is a depiction of this. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

Shalom,

Something that stood out to me from the Book of Ruth just yesterday evening was the example Naomi sets for us. Rather than witnessing to her daughter-in-laws, she seemed to just let her light shine fourth. This obviously reminds me of what the Messiah said. In fact, Naomi even advises her daughter-in-laws to go back to her country and her gods!

What Christian would act the way Naomi would?  Wouldn't the typical Christian berate the false gods of Ruth and encourage Ruth greatly to come with her for the way of salvation?

However, Naomi had a light within her that attracted Ruth. A light of love and compassion no doubt. Yes, Naomi went through a bad time and, you could argue, she responded badly to it. However, something shined - something attracted Naomi to turn her back on her gods and country and join the Israelites.

If we let our light shine fourth, if good times and bad, people will notice, people will be drawn. We shouldn't shove our light in their faces and speak harshly of the dark they are acquainted with already.

Naomi: “Look, your sister-in-law is going back to her people and her gods. Go back with her.”
Ruth: “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.”

Ruth WANTED to follow, she wasn't PREACHED into following.  Those who are called recognise the light.

May Yahweh teach us all how to let our light shine fourth.

Love & Shalom

2 hours ago, Tzephanyahu said:

Shalom,

Something that stood out to me from the Book of Ruth just yesterday evening was the example Naomi sets for us. Rather than witnessing to her daughter-in-laws, she seemed to just let her light shine fourth. This obviously reminds me of what the Messiah said. In fact, Naomi even advises her daughter-in-laws to go back to her country and her gods!

What Christian would act the way Naomi would?  Wouldn't the typical Christian berate the false gods of Ruth and encourage Ruth greatly to come with her for the way of salvation?

However, Naomi had a light within her that attracted Ruth. A light of love and compassion no doubt. Yes, Naomi went through a bad time and, you could argue, she responded badly to it. However, something shined - something attracted Naomi to turn her back on her gods and country and join the Israelites.

If we let our light shine fourth, if good times and bad, people will notice, people will be drawn. We shouldn't shove our light in their faces and speak harshly of the dark they are acquainted with already.

Naomi: “Look, your sister-in-law is going back to her people and her gods. Go back with her.”
Ruth: “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.”

Ruth WANTED to follow, she wasn't PREACHED into following.  Those who are called recognise the light.

May Yahweh teach us all how to let our light shine fourth.

Love & Shalom

No, it was not anything to do with Naomi herself....she was under the chastisement of God, by her own admission.  It had everything to do with Ruth's love for Naomi's son (a figure of Jesus who died).....the Jews are loved for the sake of the patriarchs, not because of any particular worthiness of their own.  There is none righteous, no not one....  It's ONLY because of Jesus.  And even our faith is not of our own, that no one may boast.

23 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Naomi's plight, and also the promise:

Rth 1:21

“I went out full, and the LORD has brought me home again empty. Why do you call me Naomi, since the LORD has testified against me, and the Almighty has afflicted me?”

Hos 3:3-5

And I said to her, “You shall stay with me many days; you shall not play the harlot, nor shall you have a man—so, too, will I be toward you.”

For the children of Israel shall abide many days without king or prince, without sacrifice or sacred pillar, without ephod or teraphim.

Afterward the children of Israel shall return and seek the LORD their God and David their king. They shall fear the LORD and His goodness in the latter days.

And just as the baby being born causes pain and grief to the mother we must be prepared to go through tribulation and travail in giving 
birth to a Son for Israel.

Edited by Heleadethme