• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

On 2/13/2019 at 9:47 AM, DarrenJClark said:

There are three main views of hell in Evangelicalism.  There is the view that God will punish the wicked in hell forever (I will call this the eternal conscious punishment, or ECP view), there is the view that when God punishes the wicked in hell it will destroy or kill them (I will call this conditional immortality, or CI), and there is the view that God will refine the wicked in hell so as to ensure all are purified and eventually saved (I will call this purgatorial universal reconciliation, or PUR).  This by no means a comprehensive descriptions of these views of hell.

I am a conditionalist. 

I am wondering if people would please identify which view of hell they currently follow and list the single strongest argument for that view.  

I like to talk about how and why people hold to the doctrines they do rather than simply argue with them so I hope I can learn something new about these various views on hell.

Thankyou.

~ MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT. HELL IS A REAL PLACE ~

By way of analogy, if a sea gull on the West Coast picked up a grain of sand and dropped it on the East Coast, and then came back and repeated the process every ten thousand years, when all the beaches of the West Coast were transplanted to the East Coast, well, that's the first ten MINUTES of eternity.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  136
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,488
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, HAZARD said:

~ MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT. HELL IS A REAL PLACE ~

By way of analogy, if a sea gull on the West Coast picked up a grain of sand and dropped it on the East Coast, and then came back and repeated the process every ten thousand years, when all the beaches of the West Coast were transplanted to the East Coast, well, that's the first ten MINUTES of eternity.

The rejection of an eternal gift requires the punishment throughout eternity. If I offer you freely a million dollars a year forever, and you reject a this free gift, you will not receive a million dollars for all eternity. This is the justice of God almighty.

People have a hard time grasping eternity, and this analogy, though expressing this very well, still falls short. It's not even 10 minutes of eternity, but .00000000....1 (Place as many zeros in front of that 1 as you can conceive of) part of a second of eternity. 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

Nobody can say with 100%  Certainty whether or not Hell is an Eternal Torture Camp or the complete destruction of a Soul That will result in Eternal Nothingness.....

My take is as follows....The Lake Of Fire will last forever ....the Smoke that extends from it will last forever ....Satan and his buddies, the AntiChrist and the Beast will all be Tormented in that Fiery Lake forever.....Unbelievers, Those That reject God’s Free Gift  of Salvation by Resting in The Gospel Of Jesus Plus Nothing will Perish......To “Perish” is to cease to exist in my humble opinion......I think each Unbeliever will receive whatever “ Stripes” he or she has coming and then that person will be cast in the Lake Of Fire and will cease to exist.......Have a nice Day!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

I recall Tim Keller once describing Hell to a gathering of 5000 in New York, a church he defined as a people who were too busy. He said that many people thought Hell was a literal place with a fire that burned eternally, a place of everlasting torment God reserved for Satan, his angels, the cursed, and the damned. But he told them he disagreed, and they all sighed, "Shew!" Then he said, "It is probably far worse."

I suspect that for those who are saved, where God shared, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him," we are probably just as much in the dark about grasping the real meaning of Hell.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

My view of Hell is the one that Christ explained in the NT.

**********. Hell is found at the end of a Christ rejecting Life. ***********

Its the FREE WILL CHOSEN eternal reward for rejecting  ...... Jesus The Christ.

Christ said..... that if you reject Him, you will "die in your sin".

This means that your sin is ON YOU, and Judgment is DUE YOU, after you die,.... if you were never born again.

Unforgiven Sin, has both earthly consequences and Eternal consequences.

"reaping what you have sown" is the Earthly Consequence, and "eternal damnation", first in Hell, then finally in the Lake of Fire, is the Eternal JUDGEMENT of God, against your  sin of Rejecting CHRIST. = Final Consequence.

Thats the ONE SIN that if not pardoned, not forgiven,  causes you to meet God as JUDGE instead of "Abba"....(Daddy)

Its not your lifetime of sinning that sends you to hell, its your lifetime of REJECTING CHRIST, that you CHOSE TO DO ALL YOUR LIFE, that sends you first to Hell, then the Lake of Fire.

Millions and millions will meet God as their Eternal Judge at the GW-Throne (Rev. 2011), and beg with rivers of tears....>"Please GOD,  dont send me there"....And God will say...."i never sent you, you rejected the WAY TO STAY IN HEAVEN, and there is no other place found for you to GO".   ""Heaven is for the BORN AGAIN.....Hell is for the CHRIST REJECTOR =  Depart". !!!!!!!

A simple evangelist like me, is sent to try to convince you, if you are not saved .......=  to not die with the Judgment of God on you, ...... that is due you right now, if you are not born again.    

=John 3:36.   

See, a lot of Christians and all unbelievers do not realize that God has already judged them before they are dead, and Hell then the Lake of Fire is just the final consequence..... Read it..   John 3 36.

The sobering fact is......If you are reading this and you are not a Believer in Jesus The Christ, and you have not been born again, then the WRATH of God, is against you, as you are reading this, and it will find you, after you die and FACE HIM.

Please don't be that person, as once you are THERE, you can't escape it.  THERE IS NO WAY BACK AND NO WAY OUT !!!!!!!!!

Christ died on EARTH to keep us, to keep YOU,  out of HELL in/for Eternity.

Hell, is an eternal destination that you chose for yourself if you  end up there.....   God is not to blame if a person...if YOU  end up in Hell, then the Lake of Fire.

You chose it for yourself every time you heard someone like me tell you about Jesus, and you just turned away.

Remember what i said.

Edited by Behold

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

"Nobody can say with 100%  Certainty whether or not Hell is an Eternal Torture Camp or the complete destruction of a Soul That will result in Eternal Nothingness....."

I can only speak with 100% certainty because the Bible is my one and only source and it is 100% trustworthy. Once one understands the "tormented day and night for ever and ever" language to be allegorical, there is harmony with all of the verses that teach the destruction of the unsaved soul.

You can't have it both ways. When Jesus says to "fear Him which is able to DESTROY  both soul and body in hell " (the grave)( Mt. 10:28), when the soul that sins shall die ( Ez.18:4) and when God patiently endures the "vessels of wrath fitted ( prepared) to DESTRUCTION" ( Rom.9:22), I can be 100% certain.

These debates over Hell crop up quite often here at Worthy and other Forums.....Intelligent arguments can be heard from both sides, each side certain that they are correct and can provide Scripture to “ prove” it. Nobody can make an argument that can’t be intelligently countered by the opposing view . I think it’s a good example of “ Intelligent people can disagree”.......   

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  271
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

2 Thessalonians 1:8–9 (NIV), "Those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus, they will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might.

Everlasting destruction means destruction for ever.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

Yes, another literal, clear example. 

Hell is real, and the Lake of fire will be the final home of all Christ rejectors, and they will stay there, as long as God is alive.

God is eternal.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  271
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Hi Walter.

Very very few of us accept what the Bible says but let's keep pushing and maybe our words will catch one or two!

Edited by XRose

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,194
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

It's extremely hot :blink: