• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

9 hours ago, sugarbear said:

Sometimes we go and go, pushing ourselves to the point of becoming "overwhelmed". It's happened to most of us. We rarely see it coming! When we find ourselves "there", it's not all that way to deal with. Our personalities are different, so how we deal with depends on how we tick. As for me...I can become depressed and quiet miserable. We have to learn ourselves. That's when we'll be able to deal with being overwhelmed. Instead of getting into a "funk", we need to recognize and already have a plan on how NOT to stay there. I give myself a day when I'm feeling REALLY bad. I may go to bed and just stay there. The thing I DON'T do, is allow it to be carried into another day. I INTENTIONALLY refuse to NOT accept God's "new" mercies the next morning. Sometimes I am able to gain control much quicker. That's something I'm working on daily. God is helping me greatly. We got this! We can overcome overwhelmed. ?

@sugarbear :thumbsup:Helpful advice. Thanks for 'keeping it real.'

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,936
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

Go to the beach or public garden or simply hv a morning Solitaire walk when u r overwhelmed with sadness, just go everywhere, i once took a bus that went one hundred miles  to any unfamiliar city just to relieve the mind

Edited by R. Hartono
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Psa 61:1  To the Chief Musician. On A Stringed Instrument. A Psalm of David.

Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer.

Psa 61:2  From the end of the earth I will cry to You, When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Psa 61:3  For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy.

Psa 61:4  I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah

Sometimes when I have felt overwhelmed it was actually and attack of the enemy.  When God opened my eyes to His truth the feeling immediately melted away.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

22 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi sugarbear,

Pleased to meet you, and what an interesting `hobby,` furniture making. Yes life can be overwhelming, however as you say you are aware of the signs and try to deal with it. Great to hear that you, with God`s help are overcoming this.

May I suggest when the discouraging thoughts start, that you counter them with thankfulness and appreciation of what the Lord has done and will do for you. The enemy`s greatest tactic is `discouragement,` and he will blow up some thing in our lives and make it the whole picture. We really need to deflate that picture and balance it with the many good things we do have in this life and on into eternity.

regards, Marilyn.  

My Dad taught me a little trick right along these lines when I was a child.  He called it "counting blessings in reverse".  His advice was to ask myself some questions during the  times it was hard to see the things we should be grateful for.

Am I cold?  Am I thirsty?  Am I in danger? Am I naked?  Hungry?

Kinda taught me to begin refocusing on what is going right by noticing and choosing appreciation and thankfulness for the things we take for granted.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Jostler,

Great advice from your father. My dad said - fear not, worry not and doubt not.

regards, Marilyn.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

"Fear not".....

and not our own pushing

On 2/24/2019 at 10:08 PM, sugarbear said:

to the point of becoming "overwhelmed". It's happened to most of us.

but God's putting us to the point(s) noted below.....

(No.  It hasn't happened to most people.  )

excerpts quoted here from url below >

"  "Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the Lord and thy redeemer the Holy one of Israel."- Isa 41:14

I SHALL SPEAK this morning to those that are discouraged, depressed in spirit, and sore troubled in the Christian life. There are certain nights of exceeding great darkness, through which the spirit has to grope in much pain and misery, and during which much of the comfort of the Word is particularly needed.

First, before we can do any great things for Christ there must be a sense of weakness: "Worm Jacob." Secondly, there must be trust in promised strength; and thirdly, there must be fear removed by that promise: "Fear not, for I will help thee."

In the first place, the first qualification for serving God with any amount of success, and for doing God's work well and triumphantly, is A SENSE OF OUR OWN WEAKNESS.

There must be a consciousness of weakness, before there can be any victory.

I think I hear many saying to-day, "Well, sir, if that be a qualification for doing much, I have it to a very large extent."

Well, do not marvel, do not wonder. Depend on this:

God will empty out all that thou hast before he will ever put his own into thee; he will first empty out all thy granaries, before he will fill them with the finest of the wheat.

The river of God is full of water; but there is not one drop of it that takes its rise in earthly springs.

God will have no strength used in his own battles but the strength which he himself imparts, and I would not have you that are now distressed in the least discouraged by it.

Your emptiness is but the preparation for your being filled, and your casting down is but the making ready for your lifting up.

Are there others of you that would almost desire to be cast down that they might be prepared to serve God? Let me tell you, then, how you can promote in yourself a sense of your own nothingness.

...... he who is wise and understandeth; he knows that he is a worm, and he knows it in this way:

Are there others of you that would almost desire to be cast down that they might be prepared to serve God?

Let me tell you, then, how you can promote in yourself a sense of your own nothingness. The text addresses us as worms.

Now, the mere rationalist, the man who boasts of the dignity of human nature, will never subscribe his name to such a title as this. "Worm," says he, "I am no worm: I am a man; a man is the most glorious thing that God has made; I am not going to be called a worm; I am a man-I can do anything;...

The tall archangel bows himself before his Master's throne, and we shall cast ourselves into the lowest dust when we feel what base nothings, what insignificant specks we are when compared with our all-adorable Creator. Labor, O soul, to know thy nothingness, and learn it by contemplating God's greatness.....

Again, if you want to know your own nothingness, consider what you are in suffering. I was thinking, the other evening, how small a matter it must be with God to cast any man into the most unutterable agony.....

you will have to say, "Lord, what a worm am I that thou shouldst call me to such work as this!"

Turn, if you please, to the history of all men who have done great deeds for God, and you will find them saying, "I marvel that God should use me thus!" "This day my mind was exceedingly cast down," says one of them, "for God had called me to a great labor, and I never felt so much of my own insufficiency as I did to-day."

If you would understand what is meant by being a worm, go and do what the 15th verse says the worm should do-go and thrash the mountains, and beat them small; ....

Devout contemplation, sharp suffering, hard labor-all these will teach us what little creatures we are. Oh! may God by all means and every means keep us, well understanding and knowing that we are nothing more and nothing better than worms!

it is right and meet that we should all bow before God,

and acknowledge that pride which is woven into our nature,

and ask him to teach us what little things we are, that we may claim this promise-

"Fear not, thou worm Jacob."

see in full at >>

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/spurgeon_charles/sermons/0156.cfm

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

23 minutes ago, simplejeff said:

"Fear not, thou worm Jacob."

see in full at >>

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/spurgeon_charles/sermons/0156.cfm

well I'd sure encourage everyone to read the actual devotion.  the excerpts you chose to display in isolation from the  whole destroy the  whole point Spurgeon was trying to make, twisting  it  beyond belief.  Not sure why anyone would want to do that....